Scaleforum 2012

Decapod

Guest Belgian

Telling the difference between 2 rails 16.5 and 18mm apart isnt all that easy - however telling the difference between a flangeway gap that is wider than the rail head and one that is narrower is very very easy indeed. I am afraid Kenton you appear to be going out of your way to prove that you dont have the slightest clue about what you are talking about.

I dont see any running down of EM moddellers in Oldluggers post at all. EM modellers know that their chosen gauge isnt as accurate as P4 (which isnt as accurate as S4) but its more accurate than 00. Thats their choice to make and they certainly dont need you to tell them of the differences. And yet you continue your spitefull vendetta against P4 modellers while sayings its us thats intollerant!

I dunno what your agenda is (its lost amongst all of your random changes of direction) but you have been trying to start a war of words for nearly a week and quite frankly failed miserably at it. Does RMweb really need this kind of trolling?

Jim

Hooray! Someone else has noticed! (By the way, I'm not anti-P4, not anti-EM, not anti-00, not anti-anything, although I understand that an earlier comment I made upset some people, for which I apologise. I'm just pro-railway modelling, of all kinds, but I hate really can't understand the preachers who say their way is the only way).

JE

.... I am afraid Kenton you appear to be going out of your way to prove that you dont have the slightest clue about what you are talking about....

His avatar does show someone sticking his fingers in his ears, possibly because he doesn't want to hear the truth..... :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Hooray! Someone else has noticed! (By the way, I'm not anti-P4, not anti-EM, not anti-00, not anti-anything, although I understand that an earlier comment I made upset some people, for which I apologise. I'm just pro-railway modelling, of all kinds, but I hate really can't understand the preachers who say their way is the only way).

JE

Well said that man. I am also in favour of people enjoying their modelling in whatever scale/gauge they choose to adopt.

I do detect a bit of the old "Nelson touch" here and there though.

To say that P4 is like a real Rolex and EM is like a far eastern fake is hardly being respectful towards EM no matter how you look at it. To pretend that no derogatory comment has been made and to have a go at somebody for responding to it only inflames the situation. And rising to such a "bait" in the first place (which was probably intended as a light hearted bit of banter) doesn't really help matters either.

So can we please all start behaving like grown ups again and just accept that we like different things before another interesting thread gets locked and we don't get the chance to see any more photos......?

I'm just following this topic because I want to see photos! Once upon I time I could get to Scaleforum and Expo EM every year, but now I live too far away I have to rely on seeing PICTURES!!!!

PICTURES ??? Leading a sad lifei have just read through most of this argument/topic. If you want pictures your looking at the wrong thread. Come on guys enough IS enough.

PICTURES ??? Leading a sad lifei have just read through most of this argument/topic. If you want pictures your looking at the wrong thread. Come on guys enough IS enough.

I know. That's why I've been contributing to the "discussion" while I'm waiting for PICTURES!

...I've been contributing to the "discussion" while I'm waiting for PICTURES!

This thread has been as entertaining as the show must have been, which is ironic 'cos it's all about making an exhibition of yourself...and that's exactly what's happened!

I know that there are some large P4 layouts around because I have seen them but were there any at Scaleforum that have avoided the cameras so far? Shrewsbury can't be exactly small!

There weren't any 'large' layouts at Scaleforum this year. Shrewsbury certainly will be when it's finished but what appeared at Leatherhead was more of a demo section of the main trainshed and river crossing. I did take some photos of it when I wasn't watching and nattering elsewhere but I've been away all week working and haven't been able even to check what I've got yet. I'll try and put something up tomorrow,

I have the following simple thing to say

weathered%20track%203.jpg

This is p4 track - if you can tell the difference then you might want to consider finding out more about it - if you cant, or dont think it important anyway, then dont worry about it.

Can we look at the layouts and trains now?

Cheers

Jim

I keep coming back to look at this picture again and again, Jim. Absolutely brilliant. Spot on alignment, all the details you could wish for, beautiful proportions, just right colouring and it just looks so real. May I have it for my screen saver? regards, Brian.

• RMweb Gold

A discussion about the relative merits of 00, EM and P4 track standards can be interesting, even if it's been done many times.

A discussion about the relative merits of 00, EM and P4 modellers doesn't strike me as very helpful.

Martin.

I would just like to echo all the comments about, why all the bickering ? and where are all the pictures ? I cant believe I had to wade through 10 pages of ###### just to see a dozen or so pictures, mostly of diesels too. Is it about time someone started a new thread entitled " I had a lovely time at Scalefourum this year and here are some nice pictures I took" ?. Congratulations to all the prize winners and especially Brian Harrap. And thank you to all the organisers for a great show. I am very much looking forward to taking part next year and not having to deal with the mayhem that was the M25 ( whoops bit of a moan there sorry ! )

• RMweb Gold

When I made the first request for pictures, it was a genuine attempt at having the chance to feel like I had attended the show as living in Spain, I feel a little detached fron the hobby - I will admit that the second and third request for pics was done to try and calm things down as it was all getting a little personal. Many thanks to all those who have posted and are aiming to post some.

It's a shame, as I only found my way back into this hobby (after a 20 year break) by stumbling upon RMweb in a google search and I haven't looked back since....but...I am not sure if it is just me, but I find the topics on the forum are becoming more and more aggressive and that is starting to leave a bad taste...which is really sad.

I try to model in 2mmFS and its not an elitist thing...just a case of me trying to improve my own modelling standards...which is what we are all trying to do in our own way, right?

over and out...

• RMweb Gold

It's a shame, as I only found my way back into this hobby (after a 20 year break) by stumbling upon RMweb in a google search and I haven't looked back since....but...I am not sure if it is just me, but I find the topics on the forum are becoming more and more aggressive and that is starting to leave a bad taste...which is really sad.

You're not the only one, these days I mainly keep my postings in the blog area as it is all a lot more laid back there without all the endless sniping and going round in circles that seems to plague large areas of the rest of the forum.

On a more positive note, I know lots of the P4 guys on the forum and while it's not my personal modelling standard, I haven't found any trace of elitism. Brian Harrap, for instance, is probably the most gifted modeller I have ever met, but also one of the most down to earth and approachable.

Guest Belgian

To misquote a phrase: that's why I like Catholicism 4mm scale. It's so vague, and nobody really knows how it works.

Brilliant!

Some while back (I think in the Jurassic age) there was a request for some pictures of Scaleforum 2012 to appease us poor souls who couldn't get there. There have been a few posted but I'd love to see more of Shrewsbury, for instance.

And I don't understand all this argument about whether P4 is "better" than 00, or whatever,

Each scale/gauge combination meets a different demand. If you want to buy models and run them, then, unless you are a millionaire, 00 is the right gauge for you. If you like building locos, track and rolling stock, then I think P4 is the natural first choice. When you are in control and have sufficient room, why get part of your layout "wrong"?

The only reasons I can see for a model builder (as opposed to a buyer) not to build in P4 are that you want to fit a large, complex layout in a room which precludes curves of greater than, say, 42" radius or that you simply have too much 00 or EM stock to convert.

But, of course, if you really want to build very detailed rolling stock, then 7mm is the appropriate scale.

Each to his (or her) own and let's see more models of the standard of so many, whatever the gauge, on RMWeb.

Ian (Who didn't follow the advice of the current President of the Scalefour Society to build my latest trainset in 00 because I would need to use 42" curves. It works - just!)

• RMweb Gold

Official or not, the fact is that every society I've ever heard of in any endeavour tends to rely on a very small number of heroic people who actually make things happen. The rest of the membership - especially those on committees - tend to pontificate and waffle, but may not ultimately deliver much of a concrete nature. It is thus perhaps a little unfortunate that the choice of Scaleforum venue is now being debated by many of us who may indeed not even be members!

This remains a show I know I would enjoy, and I hope the move to SM enables it to move from strength to strength.

Some while back (I think in the Jurassic age) there was a request for some pictures of Scaleforum 2012 to appease us poor souls who couldn't get there. There have been a few posted but I'd love to see more of Shrewsbury, for instance.

Hi Ian,

I'm afraid that I've now run out of my stock of pictures that were given to me during the 2012 show itself. Those didn't include Shrewsbury from any of my kind contributors.

I know that the 2012 Retrospective is being prepared, although I also know that due to personal commitments of the volunteer that does it, it is unlikely to be finished in the next seven days or so. That will definitely include some of Shrewsbury as our Official Photographer (that "O" word again!) is tasked with ensuring that every layout is covered in his work.

For any RMWebbers that may not know about the Scalefour Society Retrospectives, you will find that they are a full review of the show, and we try and include the best of all aspects there. You will find last year's Retrospective as a taster at http://www.scalefour...2011/index.html

When the 2012 Retrospective is published, I'll drop a note on here that it is available. It will (oddly enough...) be on the Scalefour Society website, but we have also requested that stocks of bleach are added to the Public E-shop (http://www.scalefour...shop/eshop.html) so that Kenton can wash his eyes out after he has taken a look ;-)

Shrewsbury was also at the Society's 2011 AGM, and I took a couple of (rather poor) pictures of it then. I hope that they act as a further taster.

post-3210-0-60156500-1349517146_thumb.jpg

post-3210-0-66728000-1349517202_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

Archived