Scaleforum 2012

Decapod

Had hoped to have this weekend free as SWMBO planned to invite girlie friends. Sadly, that has been brought forward to the weekend before.

Anyone know of a good exhibition happening on 22/23 Sept?

That's a shame. Matt and I will toast absent friends if we do find ourselves in the pub at the same time! Better luck next year.

Shows on 22/23 September, according to the Toddler, include Ayr, Halifax, Lydney and Shildon, with Banbury and Maidenhead on the Sunday. Not all of them have the layouts listed but there are a couple of good EM ones at Halifax.

Chris

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Just a little clarification for those who have seen the scaleforum advert in Rail Express Magazine. The plank will not be appearing at the show (TBH i was quite surprised to hear it was in the add)

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Just a little clarification for those who have seen the scaleforum advert in Rail Express Magazine. The plank will not be appearing at the show (TBH i was quite surprised to hear it was in the add)

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

Understood.... but it'll be the show's and our loss; it would have been nice to see it in the flesh, especialy for us newbies. Always a good show no matter what's running on what.

• 2 weeks later...

DON't FORGET!

I know that this is the best show in the UK calendar without any doubt with the best layouts and traders. You can also make it the most lucrative for yourself by bringing along all your surplus stock and miscellanea for sale on the Bring and Buy! It's easy, no hassle and you go away with cash. Just turn up with your items at the B&B stand and set a price for them and we will will try to sell them. You set the price. If we sell them for you we take a miserly 10% and if we don't you take them home. What is there to loose?

I will be there both days (and if anyone wants power to their stands on Friday too!).

I liked the line up of layouts in the Scalefour News; despite what has gone before on the thread I thought there was a little bit for everyone!

I had best be saving up too; there are lots of traders that will probably see the inside of my wallet!

The one bonus of the Golden Arrow steam trip to Paris being postponed AGAIN, is that I can now attend as a visitor - I was due to be demonstrating until the tour was postponed the first time, moving my clash of dates from DEMU@Burton, to S4um weekend, I think the latest proposed date clashes with Railex next May :banghead:

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

You can also make it the most lucrative for yourself by bringing along all your surplus stock and miscellanea for sale on the Bring and Buy! It's easy, no hassle and you go away with cash. Just turn up with your items at the B&B stand and set a price for them and we will will try to sell them. You set the price. If we sell them for you we take a miserly 10% and if we don't you take them home. What is there to loose?

John - can you just clarify that the Bring & Buy is open to all comers, and not just S4 Society members, please?

John - can you just clarify that the Bring & Buy is open to all comers, and not just S4 Society members, please?

I can answer this easy enough - yes, any member/visitor can buy at the show. Coming to Scaleforum gives you not only a visit to a good show but you become day (or weekend) members of the Society and thus can avail yourself of the stores, purchasing items at the bring and buy stand and everything else that a member can have for the day!

That includes (assuming you do not come after these have sold out), one of these.................

post-7769-0-74345200-1347999101_thumb.jpg

The society have commissioned a limited run of ready to run P4 locomotives. Only one option at the moment, a green class 25/3 as you can see but they have been converted with the best (Ultrascales) and fully test run so you can guarantee that you have a working loco if you are P4 curious.

I think the RTR P4 loco is a great idea... hope they sell well; as they're green and I'm attending on Sunday only, I probably won't take one... but follows ups will be of interest and I'll stop by to see how they've done.

Oh, and I'm bringing my little Deltic to pop into the showcase too.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and I'm bringing my little Deltic to pop into the showcase too.

Jon - do bring a 16.5mm gauge one as well, if you can, and we'll pose it on Quai 87 when Mr Harrap has retired to the lavatory!! :jester:

(or does that mere suggestion trigger my eventual explusion from the S4 Soc??!!).

I do like the idea of RTR P4 locos, by the way, Mark, it's a great idea. I've already got an example of what you'll have on sale, but I'll have a converted 76XXX Standard 2-6-0 if the Society plans to do any of those, any time!

(or does that mere suggestion trigger my eventual explusion from the S4 Soc??!!).

Your safe from the Society but you can take your own chances with Mr Harrap!

More seriously, the S4 Soc does not exclusively support P4 modelling. There is nothing in our consitution to that effect and in fact the constitution supports all 4mm modellers. At a practical level, the society has a lot of modellers who model in different gauges, probably a few that model in different scales and a fair number that model exclusively from their armchairs!!

Jon - do bring a 16.5mm gauge one as well, if you can, and we'll pose it on Quai 87 when Mr Harrap has retired to the lavatory!! :jester:

Tim, regardless of Mark's comment, I think your comment could end up with you on the naughty step :lol: ... and my 16.5mm gauge ones aren't quite as "finescale" as the 18.83 one in terms of model fidelity let alone gauge... so perhaps Quai 1:87 is safe for the time being.

Jon

Tim, regardless of Mark's comment, I think your comment could end up with you on the naughty step :lol: ... and my 16.5mm gauge ones aren't quite as "finescale" as the 18.83 one in terms of model fidelity let alone gauge... so perhaps Quai 1:87 is safe for the time being.

Jon

Phew! Seriously all guest locos and stock welcome, as long as you can get it round the curves (corners) Brian.

post-7769-0-74345200-1347999101_thumb.jpg

The society have commissioned a limited run of ready to run P4 locomotives. Only one option at the moment, a green class 25/3 as you can see but they have been converted with the best (Ultrascales) and fully test run so you can guarantee that you have a working loco if you are P4 curious.

No one's said it, so I will:

Free hair shirt with each model :rolleyesclear: .

I'll get my coat!

And why not? (as Barry Norman used to say... ;) )

Seriously, I think I know what Jon is getting at here, Jol, and I don't think it's in any way meant to be 'anti-Scalefour', rather a gentle, humous comment.

But it perpetuates an image of P4 modellers that I don't accept and is, in reality, quite inaccurate. But then, I are one of those P4 modellers.

Is it that those that don't model to those finer 4mm standards, produce better observed/different models or claim to be modellers yet only buy their models feel inadequate and cope with that by deriding those that tread a different path?

I know some very good 00 model makers, but they sometimes tend to justify their choice by making claims about modelling in P4 (or to a lesser degree, EM) and the people that do it, without knowing what the reality is. If you haven't done it, don't knock it.

Jol

Sorry chaps, it was meant as a little bit of humour and I think that it was noted by some (thanks Tim)... and yet not be others. Yes I'm new to P4... and I'm trying to get to grips with it, but it's a big leap from rtr/rtp/rtl OO stuff... but worth the effort (in my opinion). However, I know that there are "others" who view the P4 group... and perhaps S4 society with an ill-conceived view... which has, on occasion, made reference to the tough material of certain garments that the rugged sticklers that they must all be surely wear. If you took offence, well, I'm sorry... but I hadn't aimed the comment in any particular direction

To be totally honest... whatever we do in life, there are things that do need to be taken very seriously... but not everything; life's just too dammed short!

• RMweb Gold

But it perpetuates an image of P4 modellers that I don't accept and is, in reality, quite inaccurate.

It's not about the type of individuals who model in P4, Jol, far from it. It's not even necessarily about whether 'P' modelling is harder per se than 'non-P' modelling. But it seems self-evident to me that by it's very nature, more care and attention to the necessarily tighter standards/tolerances is necessary in 'P' modelling.

If you've been used to running a R-T-R wagon almost straight out of the box (even if you add detail, weather it, add 3-link couplings etc.), then modifying that same R-T-R wagon to take P4 wheels, let alone fitting compensation or springing, is going to be more work. It doesn't matter that you might enjoy doing the P4 conversion (why is one doing P4 if one doesn't?!), it's still more work (albeit for better quality of running and a more finescale model, that's not under dispute).

If you haven't done it, don't knock it.

Well, like me, I believe Jon models in both OO and P4. For my part - to clarify - http://www.enginewood.co.uk/

(PS. OO is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, P4 the rest of the week! ;) ;) )

Gentlemen,

I model in 4mm:1ft. Only the track/wheels are P4. So why would people think that P4 modelling is a hair shirt activity as it isn't much different?

And should you doubt whether I have a sense of humour, please make yourself known at stand 24 at S4um where I'll be pleased to indulge in some light hearted banter, in exchange for emptying your wallett.

Jol

Archived