FREE Digital Magazine for everyone!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Make sure you download a FREEDigital Edition Sample of British Railway Modelling magazine.

It's perfect for those of you who want to see how a Digital Magazine works, before parting with their hard earned cash.

And, the free 20-page Sample Magazine features a selection of articles from recent issues of BRM. So, if you haven't picked up BRM for a while, why not take a look at this Sample Edition to see what you're missing.

For more details, including where to get this Free Magazine, click here: https://www.model-ra..._plus_FREE_app/

The articles within this FREE magazine are:

post-14186-0-30452700-1337004934.png

Layout Focus: Glendower

Don’t miss this 8-page feature from the May 2012 issue of BRM. Dennis Parker introduces us to his large 00 gauge layout in a 4ft high basement! Make sure you click on the ‘Exclusive Documentary’ link to be taken directly to the 10-minute video on Glendower.

Practical BRM: How to maintain your airbrush

This 2-page article is from the June 212 issue of BRM. When working correctly, an airbrush can be a joy to use and produce results that surpass those achievable by brush. However, when problems occur, an airbrushing session can be torturous. Michael Russell shows you how to ward off problems in the first place.

DCC Zone: DCC lights for the Bachmann ‘Chopper’

A 4-page article from the April 2012 issue by Nigel Burkin, explaining how to fit DCC running lights to the Limited Edition Hunslet Barclay Class 20s from Kernow Models.

Product Review: Brighton Belle

Make sure you this 2-page review from the May 2012 issue. We go in-depth on Hornby’s latest EMU, one of the Brighton Belle’ motor cars.

Guest baldrick25

What a long winded , obscure, kerfuffle , to get a free sample......I'll stick to the paper subscriber edition, thanks.

Not so much a sampler, more an email and personal address harvester I felt.

• RMweb Premium

What a long winded , obscure, kerfuffle , to get a free sample......I'll stick to the paper subscriber edition, thanks.

I use Android so for me it was:

Click on link to BRM site

Click on link to Pocketmags

Register (usual stuff - name, DOB, email, password)

Purchase download marked £0.00

Go to app store on mobile; download Pocketmags app

Sign in with email and password

Low and behold BRM digi-edition - sweet!

Took less than 5 minutes (at work on an O2 mobile connection...hmmm...might have to increase data allowance if this continues !!)

Guest baldrick25

Oh what it is to be happy. :)

Handing out enough personal info to enable identity theft to an unknown internet site , 'Pocketmags' has nothing to do with being happy just to sample a 20 page edition through a viewer.

• RMweb Premium

Handing out enough personal info to enable identity theft to an unknown internet site , 'Pocketmags' has nothing to do with being happy just to sample a 20 page edition through a viewer.

It didn't flag up as being a problem on my work internet, which usually blocks anything and everything !!

Probably no more information than you give out (without any thought or complaint) when signing up for a paper magazine subscription!

Whether it is worth it to you is entirely your opinion of how desperately you want the e-version of the mag...

• RMweb Gold

No more than this site.

I didn't download it either but didn't feel the need to whinge about.

• Administrators

If you have an iPad/iPhone and an iTunes account, simply search 'British Railway Modelling' in iTunes or on the App Store and download the App - you'll only have to type in your iTunes password like you're buying music or a game. Once your App has downloaded, click on the Free Sample Magazine and it'll download.

Give me a paper issue any day --- you cant pick up and put down a computer. AS for Iphones don`t go there

No-one's forcing you to download it (some people are really getting on my mammaries today).

Wonderful way the mag is produced on Pocketmags!

I already use it, and read the mag there.

I use an Android tablet now, and I buy more mags now than before!

It's due to the fact that I get the mags both cheaper and direct!

The fact that I can have my whole magazine collection with me all the time is super!!

If you have an iPad/iPhone and an iTunes account, simply search 'British Railway Modelling' in iTunes or on the App Store and download the App - you'll only have to type in your iTunes password like you're buying music or a game. Once your App has downloaded, click on the Free Sample Magazine and it'll download.

It wasn't that simple for me, It asked for credit card details unlike other free apps, so I decided not to get it

Simon

Well if the magazine is anything like trying to get the free download I'll not bother.

Just wasted my time registering at pocketmags and might be my age,but I'm damned if I can find where to download it from,seems to me a bit of a scam to harvest email addresses.

Allan

,seems to me a bit of a scam to harvest email addresses.

I can personally assure you that it isn't a scam and it isn't to harvest email addresses, the email address is necessary to log in to the Pocketmags site so you can download the issues and read offline if desired.

After you've downloaded the mag it's worth installing the offline reader so you've always got access to the issue.

Well if the magazine is anything like trying to get the free download I'll not bother.

Just wasted my time registering at pocketmags and might be my age,but I'm damned if I can find where to download it from,seems to me a bit of a scam to harvest email addresses.

Allan

hi Allan

If you log in to Pocketmags and search for 'British Railway modelling' in the search box you would end up here:

http://www.pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?titleid=856&title=British+Railway+Modelling

Scroll down and the free magazine is the second one in the list of magazines at the bottom of the page - click 'buy' (but you don't have to pay - the price is £0 :-)

In the top right corner of the screen you'll see a link to 'Your basket' - if you go there and 'checkout' (again, you don't need to put in any payment details - it's free) then the magazine will show up in the 'My Magazines' section of Pocketmags. Click the cover and you'll get a link to read the magazine in your browser.

If you do have an ipad or iphone, as long as the email address you use on it to buy apps matches the email address you used to register with Pocketmags, the magazine will be available on your device automatically.

For anyone else who is unfamiliar with Pocketmags, they're one of only a few online publishers used by all mainstream magazine publishers to deliver their issues in digital format - they're reputable and trusted, and certainly aren't in the business of collecting or misusing customers' email addresses. As internet businesses go, they're no different from Amazon, Ebay and many others.

Anyway, I hope that helps. In this day and age it's rare that we get anything for free, no strings attached - but this is one of those times, I hope people enjoy the sample edition of BRM - like it or not, it's a genuine freebie! :good:

Chris

Guest baldrick25

If Modelling Inspiration can be downloaded with one click on a link that can be placed anywhere on a webpage, why does a BRM sampler take page after page of personal info including bank details to be stored and used in an unidentified location , for an unidentified purpose?

Chris,

I don't understand all the whinging ('cos it's free) if you don't want it, don't take it etc.

However take a look at Model Railroad Hobbyist http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/

Whilst the front page is incredibly sloppy in terms of presentation you should find that there is a one click entry to get a full, free, copy.

Actually in exchange for an Email address the subscription is free too but that is neither here nor there....

Best, Pete.

If Modelling Inspiration can be downloaded with one click on a link that can be placed anywhere on a webpage, why does a BRM sampler take page after page of personal info including bank details to be stored and used in an unidentified location , for an unidentified purpose?

Because it's using proper distribution software which does not place a load on the server. It does not ask for bank details to download a free issue. It wouldn't even ask for bank details if you were paying for something; it would offer secure payment methods. The argument about unidentified locations and purposes is just paranoid I'm afraid, as Chris has already said there is nothing sinister about it.

Another petty and misguided moan.

Guest baldrick25

It does not ask for bank details to download a free issue. It wouldn't even ask for bank details if you were paying for something; it would offer secure payment methods. The argument about unidentified locations and purposes is just paranoid I'm afraid, as Chris has already said there is nothing sinister about it.

Another petty and misguided moan.

Bank details , ... Secure payment methods,..... Credit card details- all are linked and used in conjunction . Knowing one can lead to enough information for the other to used to obtain funds... Pocketmags does ask for credit card details, I've just tried it again.

The very site name of 'pocketmags.com' may give a clue that the servers are not located in UK , and that security may have been outsourced to the Indian subcontinent- who knows, and no one wants to say.

Well forgive me for being paranoid about online security , perhaps the other thread about a hacked Ebay account is superfluous- its no problem.

After all this site doesn't use my email address etc to log in , but that didn't stop hackers walking in through an open back door , and obtaining all of that information which still remains to confirmed exactly what was leaked. Not so much 'paranoid' as careful with personal information that may have devastating consequences. 'Downloading' the 20 page free edition to view offline involves downloading and installing an *.exe file of unknown untested security when there are lots more secure and certified apps to do exactly the same thing.

Its frightening that such a casual view of online security is taken- maybe that's why the site was hacked.

Maybe some people are getting on your mammaries, Andy, but where's there's money to be had, there's scams......hardly petty and misguided, when there's also been reported incidences on this forum of bank accounts hacked after purchasing from a big online box shifter, something I've also experienced. Dealing with an inbox daily filled with crud, just to sort out the genuine emails , dealing with spam phone calls from vague microsoft and virginmedia reps , dealing with a letterbox full everyday with garbage just to find that one in a hundred genuine letter gets on mine too.

Archived