FREE Digital Magazine for everyone!

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

Bank details , ... Secure payment methods,..... Credit card details- all are linked and used in conjunction . Knowing one can lead to enough information for the other to used to obtain funds... Pocketmags does ask for credit card details, I've just tried it again.

The very site name of 'pocketmags.com' may give a clue that the servers are not located in UK , and that security may have been outsourced to the Indian subcontinent- who knows, and no one wants to say.

Well forgive me for being paranoid about online security , perhaps the other thread about a hacked Ebay account is superfluous- its no problem.

Best you don't bank, purchase house or car insurance, have a private pension or do anything that might vaguely have something to do with "johnny Foreigner"

Your best bet is to nail up your front door and paint over the windows so you never come into contact with the outside world.

• RMweb Gold

Now then chaps, before Andy and the Mods start releasing the hounds can we just accept that some members are more cautious than others online - They will be the ones who can't/won't us the free download. Their choice.

• RMweb Gold

Bank details , ... Secure payment methods,..... Credit card details- all are linked and used in conjunction . Knowing one can lead to enough information for the other to used to obtain funds... Pocketmags does ask for credit card details, I've just tried it again.

The very site name of 'pocketmags.com' may give a clue that the servers are not located in UK , and that security may have been outsourced to the Indian subcontinent- who knows, and no one wants to say.

Well forgive me for being paranoid about online security , perhaps the other thread about a hacked Ebay account is superfluous- its no problem.

A .com address does not mean that a server is not located in the UK. This is rmweb.co.uk but our server is in the USA!

Poketmags is run by Triactive Media Ltd which is a ltd company registered in the UK.

Just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it's being run by a crook.

Andy has given this his personal ok and his word should be good enough to show that this is a genuine offer.

• RMweb Premium

Dealing with an inbox daily filled with crud, just to sort out the genuine emails , dealing with spam phone calls from vague microsoft and virginmedia reps , dealing with a letterbox full everyday with garbage just to find that one in a hundred genuine letter gets on mine too.

Disregarding the phrases used prior to this paragraph which Chris Dave has addressed, there is no need to have to deal with any of the above these days, as spam software, phonecall selection options and postal preference services can all be employed to good effect - I never receive spam in my inbox, never receive unsolicited phone calls, and rarely if ever receive junk mail, and I shop online all the time at numerous sites the world over...

Now then chaps, before Andy and the Mods start releasing the hounds can we just accept that some members are more cautious than others online - They will be the ones who can't/won't us the free download. Their choice.

You're quite right Ian. I am however really irritated with people using paranoia to try and be, through choice, anti-something that is part of the bigger picture that makes it possible for them to participate here. You'd think the whole sky is about to fall in on some people's worlds and their attitude gives something imaginary for (some) other people to have a pop at the site/me/Warners about. It's just bloody silly.

Set up a new email address, there are plenty of free providers, to obtain the download. Then don't go back to it again once you've finished with the sample. That way the publishers can send anything they like to it without bothering you via your primary email address and will also have no idea who you are.

It works well enough with forums, this one included.

And no, I haven't downloaded the sample because the magazine provides very little of interest from what I've seen of the printed version.

• RMweb Gold

With all the bother I thought I'd give it a go.

Name, DoB, email password, easypeasy

sadly I timed it, it took all of 92 seconds, bit different reading it this way.

The one downside I have thought of, it can't be taken into the downstairs "library" for perusal at leisure.

With all the bother I thought I'd give it a go.

Name, DoB, email password, easypeasy

sadly I timed it, it took all of 92 seconds, bit different reading it this way.

The one downside I have thought of, it can't be taken into the downstairs "library" for perusal at leisure.

Well Dave.... that's why they make tablet computers....

I'm writing this reply just now on the thr......... :O

Just downloaded to iPad and due to the wonders of iCloud its synced to my iPhone aswell. Thanks BRM for taking the hobby into the modern age. You might even get an e-subscription out of me after ive finished reading the free sample !

• Administrators

Morning,

Thanks for your comments (I think). I just wanted to explain why we're offering this free magazine.

Digital magazines are becoming more and more popular for a number of reasons:

A. The cost less (in most cases) than the printed magazine - a single issue of BRM is just £2.49 (bigger savings for subscriptions!)

B. They take up less space in your loft, spare room, garage etc...

C. Colour reproduction of images is much better

D. Interactive features can be added - video, additional images, live website links, free extra content

E. Less paper usage makes them more environmentally friendly

Many people are now reading BRM via our digital editions, so we felt it right to offer a FREE Sample Edition to show others just how good digital magazines are. By making it FREE allows the user to make up their own mind: if the like it, great. If they don't, not to worry but at least we've helped them make an informed choice.

It also gives us the chance to show any non-BRM readers how the magazine is changing for the better. Again, they can make up their own mind as to whether 'BRM is for them'!

There is NO hidden agenda here. You can either get the free magazine via iTunes if you already have an account (or sign-up for an account), or Pocketmags - both of these are huge companies that DO NOT share data if you 'opt out' of any data capture statements (like you find on any registration page) . This is purely our way of showing you BRM in a digital format for FREE!

I understand that some of you may be having the odd problem downloading the issue, or may have questions so please email me direct at brm@warnersgroup.co.uk - I'll then respond personally, or if the question is a little more technical, I will ask my Digital Editor to respond.

I'm concious that this is a pretty long post, so I'll post separately later about other future possibilities for our Digital Editions. This is just the start...

Thanks for your time,

Steve

Brand Editor - BRM, MRL, RMweb and Shows

Well Dave.... that's why they make tablet computers....

I'm writing this reply just now on the thr......... :O

Well it has been said that all some mags are good for is wiping your backside...

Just remember, don't do that with your expensive new gadget!! :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

Digital magazines are becoming more and more popular for a number of reasons:

A. The cost less (in most cases) than the printed magazine - a single issue of BRM is just £2.49 (bigger savings for subscriptions!)

The savings are even greater in the Republic of Ireland where improted magazines cost way more than the exchange rate would imply. A printed copy of BRM in Cork costs €5.80 which is around £4.64 compared to the cover price of £3.75

• Administrators

You're right Colin. Overseas subscribers obviously pay a lot more, plus they often don't get the magazine for quite a few days after the on-sale date. Digital Editions resolves both of those issues.

The savings are even greater in the Republic of Ireland where improted magazines cost way more than the exchange rate would imply. A printed copy of BRM in Cork costs €5.80 which is around £4.64 compared to the cover price of £3.75

HI

We in Australia pay upto $13.00AU which is about £9.00 per copy, so getting it for $4.00AU is great.

Stuart-AU

• RMweb Premium

E. Less paper usage makes them more environmentally friendly

I'd question that. Surely an eReader/iPad/what ever consumes more resources to make than a printed magazine. Paper is renewable and easily recyclable. The same's not true about the exotic materials that go into the average Tablet PC. I'd guess that the resources to print monthly magazines over the operational life-time of an eReader is probably lower.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

I'd question that. Surely an eReader/iPad/what ever consumes more resources to make than a printed magazine. Paper is renewable and easily recyclable. The same's not true about the exotic materials that go into the average Tablet PC. I'd guess that the resources to print monthly magazines over the operational life-time of an eReader is probably lower.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

What also should be taken into consideration is lets say you keep your electronic device for two years. Thats 24 issues of one monthly magazine x the number you buy each month. The consider the production of inks, transport of raw paper materials, processing to make the paper, transport to printers, printing, tehn distrubution of printed magazines. After that if they are eventually siposed of there is the recycling costs.

I do not know which does consume more rexources but the tablet may last for some years to read many magazines, newspapers etc plus it does other tasks aswell.

Again it all comes down to personal choice as to how you wish to read publications.

Ian

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone really seriously consider minor effects on the environment when it comes making decisions regarding their hobby? If we did, then we would not have a hobby and thus have a zero effect on the environment. Lets not get carried away with too much tree hugging.

Forget about the materials in a tablet v those in printed paper. It fades in comparision with the carbon footprint of the steam locos, diesel engines and power stations used to keep the prototype upon which our hobby is based going.

Unlikely anybody is going to buy a tablet just to read magazines, they've probably already got one anyway, going digital for magazines saves all the resources Ian mentions above for those individuals.

B. They take up less space in your loft, spare room, garage etc...

C. Colour reproduction of images is much better

But some of us like to take up space in the loft, dinning room, garage and spare room with paper that can be read over and over again and moved to wherever we are.

Colour reproduction is much better when printed by a professional printer, not my doggy teenager inkjet.

Penrhos

PS I almost had to lie about my age. Do you really think that people over 102 aren't interested in model railways?

Guest Natalie Graham

I went to download it before most of the discussion here got posted. I got as far as the bit where it said I had to register with pocketmags.com and didn't bother going any further. I assume BRM want people to dowload this sample and fall for the attraction of this medium, so every person who quits the process before they get to the sample mag is a potential lost sale. Not moaning or complaining, just saying.

Archived