FREE Digital Magazine for everyone!

SteveCole

Guest Moria

Thanks for this :) Wonderful.

Firstly, being in Canada, now I get the mags at the same time as everyone else, I don't have to wait for 5 weeks to get the printed copy.

Secondly, this will seriously reduce the groaning of the bookshelves with reams of old mags which I hate to get rid of "just in case" :)

If I could offer just a couple of suggestions... 1 a way of having a digital index of the digital mags to help find things in the future, and the ability to print a page from the digital copy.

Otherwise, great work and thanks.

The very site name of 'pocketmags.com' may give a clue that the servers are not located in UK ,

Not so, I have a number of .com domains, all hosted on servers in the UK. I also have .co.uk domains, some of which are hosted on servers in Germany and the USA I also have a .net domain - no country association at all. A domain ending in .uk implies no better security than one ending .ru (or any other country), and vice versa.

• RMweb Gold

Can someone clarify something for me?

When we get our electronic copy of BRM are we actually downloading a file (which I can't find in my computer) or are we merely gaining access to look at the magazine on this pocketmags thing?

If the later, then what is our guarantee that we will be able to look at this "download" in a couple of years time when we want to reread a particular article?

Can someone clarify something for me?

When we get our electronic copy of BRM are we actually downloading a file (which I can't find in my computer) or are we merely gaining access to look at the magazine on this pocketmags thing?

If the later, then what is our guarantee that we will be able to look at this "download" in a couple of years time when we want to reread a particular article?

Hi Colin

Sorry to not have a short answer to this - but It depends on what device you're using to look at it.

If you:

- Don't have a mobile device (iphone/ipad/android phone) and log into Pocketmags on a PC you can view the editions in your browser whenever you like. If you want to view the editions offline (download to your local machine) then Pocketmags have an 'offline reader'

- Don't have a mobile device (iphone/ipad/android phone) and log into Pocketmags on a Mac you can view the editions in your browser.

- Do have an ipad/iphone/android phone, when you buy the digital magazine it's downloaded to your device as a file, so you can read offline. If you lose your device or it if breaks, your digital magazines are easily re-downloaded to a new device - so no worries there.

- If you use a PC or Mac to buy the magazines, and have a mobile device, as long as you use the same email address on both (for purchasing etc) then your magazines will automatically show up on your device.

The bottom line is: Even though we're distributing our digital editions through Apple Itunes and Pocketmags at the moment, the original digital source material is still archived and belongs to Warners.

So, even if Apple go bust (not likely, but say they do..) and so did Pocketmags, Warners would simply re-upload the digital edition to another provider and anyone could re-download them from there.

In that regard, having digital copies is even more secure than paper - as there's only so many printed backissues we can store, and of course there are all kinds of ways that someone's collection of printed BRMs can get destroyed or lost; whereas digital copies exist everywhere and are backed up etc.

Again, sorry for the long answer - if it helps, I can still open text files, images and word documents (and even pdfs) which were created at the dawn of the internet over 20 years ago, so I wouldn't worry that digital magazines might become unreadable anytime soon ;-)

cheers

Chris

As a card carrying Luddite I thought long and hard before giving this a go. Sign-up was fine but trying to view on my laptop is problematic. It's tiny and unreadable, and if I zoom in it's far too big and I can only see part of the page in my browser window. There doesn't seem to be a way of controlling the amount of zoom. It's probably me, not the software/hardware, so if any one can tell me what I'm doing wrong............

As a card carrying Luddite I thought long and hard before giving this a go. Sign-up was fine but trying to view on my laptop is problematic. It's tiny and unreadable, and if I zoom in it's far too big and I can only see part of the page in my browser window. There doesn't seem to be a way of controlling the amount of zoom. It's probably me, not the software/hardware, so if any one can tell me what I'm doing wrong............

Although there are the + and - magnifying glasses in both the online and offline reader it's a bit all or nothing.

Try pressing your Ctrl key on the keyboard and use the thumbwheel on the mouse (if you have a mouse with the laptop) or pres CTRL and + or Ctrl and - to zoom your browser.

• RMweb Premium

I installed the pocketmags android app., despite what seemed a lot of negative reviews.Registration was simple, all that was needed was name,email and a password.Hardly cause for paranoia.After a bit of searching I found the free BRM issue.All seems to be working well, much like Zinio.

update

After a bit more digging I confirmed that any purchases made through the app are dealt with through the android market payment system, so if you have already set that up then no extra details are needed.

Archived