Poynton Sneer sidings

marc smith

• 3 months later...

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I can attend as I dont think that we will be going to Hardwicke this year. Looking forward to seeing 'Poynton' in the flesh too - I expect Marc will run and hide when he sees me LOL! :mosking:

So sorry to hear that you havent got a date for the evening do, yet with a sense of humor like that :stink:  (I had heard the rumours eleswhere) :secret:  I would have thought that you have to fight 'em off with a big stick!! :O :o :O :scratchhead: :sarcastichand: :mosking:

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Perhaps I misunderstood the question. No, I haven't got a date. At the moment I will be attending the evening function on my own.

Geoff Endacott

Geoff, don't worry, I'll be there with you....

... and that isn't a proposal!

A beer & curry sir?

Wouldn't be a train show without :)

• Like 1

Just trawling my photos, for shots of the layout which haven't appeared in the thread before 

- as a taster for Trainwest 2013.....

The 2nd 08 is one I've had a while - I need to do some work on it,
but have run out of steam, since Dapol announced their forthcoming model....
Dapol Dave, I eagerly await! - any chance of "evaluating" one for you? ;)

post-2973-0-85359500-1362570384_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I hope to get to Taunton to see this in the flesh.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, Poynton Sneer is at trainwest, as Geoff says

I took it to the Taunton rmbweb members day last year... shame you missed it there,

but perhaps I'll take it to another rmweb event - time & invitations allowing....

I don't really plan to exhibit Poynton Sneer too much

- It was really just an excercise in low cost, small O gauge layout building....

This year, I'll be taking my "Cashmores" scrapyard layout along to Taunton - hoping it'll be as complete as poss....

Hope to see you at both?

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: Cashmores is a 4mm / EM gauge layout

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Perhaps I misunderstood the question. No, I haven't got a date. At the moment I will be attending the evening function on my own.

Geoff Endacott

Is the same Mr Endacot who is now an author in Railway Modeler ,and is the evening function a result of thia article?

Hi Marc, When I exhibited Trebudoc I found that it was very hard work, Two days of leaping on and off my chair to do the three link couplings and with a couple of DUFF HIPS it was very painful, also as I operate from the front that made it worse squeezing in font of the public, especially the kids. At least with Glen Roy it is Kaydee operated and works 90% of the time without moving off my chair. so Trebudoc will only be doing one more show.

Andy

P.S. good luck at Trainwest if I don't make it.

• Like 1

Is the same Mr Endacot who is now an author in Railway Modeler ,and is the evening function a result of thia article?

I don't know about now being an author in Railway Modeller having first contributed to the magazine 32 years ago.

The evening function is a result of Trainwest at which the layout featured in Railway Modeller will be exhibited for the first time, not very far away from Poynton Sneer.

Geoff Endacott

Hi All,

Yes exibiting can be hard-work (I think that people often doent appreciate such), auto-couplings are a must I would have thought if any pleasure is to be derived from operating. I once saw a superb finescale layout with Overhead Electrics, yet those fellows used scale 3-link couplings, what a nightmare! Hardly anything moved as they spent most of their time trying to untangle themselves from the Overheads! I have the uptmost respect for those who demo and operate layouts at exhibition. I first did so 33 years ago, with my last being few years ago now, and there is the law of s*d in that a model/layout may work well for months or years even the night before and then as soon as the general public shows up it fails :O :stinker: :dontknow: :mosking:  ...

Geoff reminded me of something else too, and how time flies by so fast, I first had a piece published in RM 38 years ago - wow do I ever feel old!

Really hope to get to TW, sounds like it will be a good one!

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just ot back from Train West - an excellent show – but one of the high-lights was undoubtedly seeing Poynton Sneer in the flesh.

I had thought the photos in the thread irresistable - but the reality is evey it as good. An exquisite little gem!

• Like 2

I've just ot back from Train West - an excellent show – but one of the high-lights was undoubtedly seeing Poynton Sneer in the flesh.

I had thought the photos in the thread irresistable - but the reality is evey it as good. An exquisite little gem!

Hi all,

I couldn't agree more, the photos (although superb/inspiring) don't do Marc's work justice and it all seemed to work wonderfully well - all at a comfortable viewing height.

As always Marc is a pleasure to chat to and it was nice to meet other RMW members and swap ideas and generally chew over the cud.

In short a great show with lots of really good layouts a superb afternoon out.

ATVB

CME

Thank you Giles and CME for your kind words!
I thoroughly enjoyed the show, and it was a great mix of layouts
with some nice trade - looking forward to next years Trainwest already....

Great to chat with many rmweb members too

and I wanted to thank Geoff for the invitation,

and particularly say a big thanks to Barry Ten for helping on the Sunday,

and to Darren 01 for keeping me in endless supplies of Coffee...

.... even if he ate all the sandwiches and chocolate biscuits ;)

Great show - shame if you missed it

make sure you get along next year :)

Marc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, as I haven't posted anything on this thread for a while
I haven't done much to the layout itself
But shock, horror! A "kettle" ha been seen in the yard!

As a belated birthday pressie to myself

- and who better to chose me a gift? ;)

I bought one of those lovely little Ixion Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 locos

And very pleased I am with it too....

My good friend Brian T airbrush-weathered it for me,

and I simply had to add some dry-brushing and detailing to it - I can't leave anything alone!

Anyhow, here is "Cwm Taff" as it appeared at Wrec Rai 2013 last Saturday
Thanks to George W and Dave T for the invitation 

It was a smashing, friendly little show

Marc

post-2973-0-59010300-1370854704_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-60044500-1370854717_thumb.jpg

• Like 13