Poynton Sneer sidings

marc smith

Just a quick note to say,

I'll be at the Bristol O gauge show this coming Sunday (25th Jan)

With Poynton Sneer

Possibly the layouts last show,

I really need to finish an article on the layout, and have no further plans for it after that....

Cheers all

please come along & say hello, and have a chat :)

EDIT: I couldn't see the show listed on the rmweb callendar

So don't forget, it's this Sunday.....

Hi Marc,

Great to see you Posting here. 

I hope to get to Bristol, its been a busy and strange January, yet I hope to hop/hobble along :)

Can you give us a heads up on when/where your article will be published?

Thanks, kindest,

CME

Marc,

Went to Bristol Show, for the first time today, Poynton Sneer was, for me, 'Best in Show',

I had been concerned that my layout would be a bit too simple, with only three points, but having come back to watch yours time after time, I needn't worry, I was totally transfixed by just a couple of wagons and a loco moving around, it would be a great shame not to see it out and about again, but I'm really pleased I saw it today.

Thanks for the inspiration, it's a beautiful little layout.

Peter

• Like 1

Marc,

Went to Bristol Show, for the first time today, Poynton Sneer was, for me, 'Best in Show',

I had been concerned that my layout would be a bit too simple, with only three points, but having come back to watch yours time after time, I needn't worry, I was totally transfixed by just a couple of wagons and a loco moving around, it would be a great shame not to see it out and about again, but I'm really pleased I saw it today.

Thanks for the inspiration, it's a beautiful little layout.

Peter

Thanks for the kind words Peter,

Three points is way too many for a layout, surely? lol

To my way of thinking, modelling can be as much about the land and structures around the railway

as it is about the track and rolling stock

With Poynton, operation is rather simple

But it was built to demonstrate that you can have fun, shunting a handful of wagons,

and it should keep you entertained for an hour or so....

At shows, you would end up getting fed up of it after 2 days

but again, it was really built to demonstrate what can be done in a small space

and that it can be fun for a few hours

However, for a home layout - it all depends on what you want to achieve

For those short on modelling time, space, and playing-trains-time

Something small and simple is fine. But you may want more operational interest

if you have hours to spend playing trains....

A difficult balance to achieve sometimes

Thankfully, yesterday I had pals Barry Ten, Wenlock and Rouse2037 to take over, so I could have a wander and some lunch.....

You can do a lot with 3 points, and design in more operational interest

I think a wagon cassette at the opposite end to the fiddle yard can add lots of potential - more than you might 1st think....

Anyhow, keep us posted re your progress

Nice to see you at the show :)

Marc

PS. The article will be in Rail Express Modeller

It would have been completed sooner, had we seen the emergence of the Dapol 80

Thanks for the kind words Peter,

Three points is way too many for a layout, surely? lol

To my way of thinking, modelling can be as much about the land and structures around the railway

as it is about the track and rolling stock

With Poynton, operation is rather simple

But it was built to demonstrate that you can have fun, shunting a handful of wagons,

and it should keep you entertained for an hour or so....

At shows, you would end up getting fed up of it after 2 days

but again, it was really built to demonstrate what can be done in a small space

and that it can be fun for a few hours

However, for a home layout - it all depends on what you want to achieve

For those short on modelling time, space, and playing-trains-time

Something small and simple is fine. But you may want more operational interest

if you have hours to spend playing trains....

A difficult balance to achieve sometimes

Thankfully, yesterday I had pals Barry Ten, Wenlock and Rouse2037 to take over, so I could have a wander and some lunch.....

You can do a lot with 3 points, and design in more operational interest

I think a wagon cassette at the opposite end to the fiddle yard can add lots of potential - more than you might 1st think....

Anyhow, keep us posted re your progress

Nice to see you at the show :)

Marc

PS. The article will be in Rail Express Modeller

It would have been completed sooner, had we seen the emergence of the Dapol 80

Hi Marc,

It was great to catch up again for a chat, Poynton-Sneer looked, as always, fantastic and worked a treat (it captivated my mate and he likes roundy roundy layouts w/o sound). :imsohappy:

Take care mate, hope to see you again soon. :yes:

ATVB

CME :)

PS. Weve all been waiting for the Dapol 08! :derisive:  :derisive:

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

Has this layout appeared in Rail Express yet? not a reader but would like to see some more images of this layout.

Came to this layout late but its quite inspirational-well done.

Marc -Imagine what you could do with those Peco 40" radius points? -when they appear

regards

Paul

• Like 1

Has this layout appeared in Rail Express yet? not a reader but would like to see some more images of this layout.

It has appeared in print, but I can't recall where or when.

I'm in contact with Marc and could ask him if you'd like ?

Brian R

• 4 years later...

Wow! Just resurrecting a nine year old thread...
Poynton Sneer is off to a new home this week
I've been having a bit of a play with it, for the first time in a while - and I have to say it's very enjoyable

I'll miss this layout - I always felt that it did exactly what I set out to do, in terms of building a really small, low cost O Gauge layout, which provided a bit of a shunting challenge, and allowed for a run-round-loop.

Though I'll miss it, I need to clear some space and have a bit of a "life-laundry"
It's staying local - so I hope I'll be able to see it again from time to time

Cheers all :) 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Hi Marc

Good to see you and Poynton Steer on here again. It was always one of my favourite layouts and I was lucky to see you exhibiting it. Small it may be, but packed full of detail and beautifully made. It was an inspiration for me and many others. Hope it's gone to a good home.

Stephen 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hello @Warspite / Stephen,

Nice to hear from you, and thanks for the kind words.
I still wish I had got to see your 7mm layout "in the flesh" - and wish even more that I could have had the opportunity to talk you out of dismantling it ;)

Hopefully, we can all meet up face-to-face at a show or an RMweb even again.... soon.
If I can sell my 4mm "Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" OO micro, "Ruyton Road" and perhaps something else.... I may even be able to talk Mrs Smith into allowing me space to build another layout before we move house - fingers crossed :)

Cheers now
Marc

• Friendly/supportive 6

I cannot believe I first saw Poynton Sneer at the RM Web Members’ Day at Taunton in April 2012 – that’s nine years ago! As my wife took some photos of the layouts, I asked her last night if she remembered the show and she said:

“Oh yes, that’s where we saw that really nice, lovely, small layout. It was called ‘Sneer and Point’ wasn’t it? No, wait a bit, ‘Point and Sneer, no ‘Poynton Sneer’.”

When I told her Marc had sold it, she said:

“You could have bought that. It would have saved you all those hours you've wasted not making anything! In fact, you could have two ‘Poynton Sneers’ in the space you’ve got.”

I did not respond … Instead, I’ve posted one of her photos from that day in Taunton.

1628340327_PoyntonSneer61280px.jpg.741eccea9c7c4d8a7322d48ceb93a55d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

I expect you have mixed feelings about PNS leaving you and onto pastures new. 

Just goes to show what can be achieved in a small space in 7mm scale and very atmospheric.

About time that you started a new micro project!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Hi Marc,

I expect you have mixed feelings about PNS leaving you and onto pastures new. 

Just goes to show what can be achieved in a small space in 7mm scale and very atmospheric.

About time that you started a new micro project!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your kind words re PNS (I never called it that before! lol) I'm so glad you like the layout, and even more pleased that I got down to your local show with it - that was a great day, and a fab evening in the pub beforehand, I recall :)

Yes, I need to build something else - I'm quite "fired up" about building another layout..... BUT, I need to sell a couple more layouts, and indeed quite a bit of stock first. We will need to move house in the future, and that will involve a bit of downsizing. So if you know anyone interested in "Ruyton Road" or "Wales, Rails, Rain & Steel" - let them know I'm looking to sell.

If I sold another layout + some stock, I could justify starting one small project then ;)
I'm dreaming of a small, folding 7mm narrow shelfie

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The first time I saw Poynton Sneer at a local show, I was instantly impressed that it was possible to model in O gauge even if you don't have much space. It shows that it really can be done!

As Marc has said the layout has been sold and I would like to announce that I'm the lucky recipient of this excellent layout.

My plan is to start taking it to shows again once they're given the green light. In the meantime it'll provide the ideal testing ground for any wagons I build. I mainly intend to operate in two time periods, early to mid 1980s and early 1990s probably stopping in 1992. In theory the layout could be operated in any period as the infrastructure wouldn't have changed much, so who knows what might appear.

Taking on a former builder/owners layout is not new to me, back in 2016 I took on Trevanna Dries which was originally built by Dave Tailby of this parish. Trevanna provided an entry into EM gauge modelling and I continue to own the layout. The thought is the same with Poynton Sneer, to provide an entry into the world of O gauge. While I'll always stick with my 4mm roots, it's nice to dip your feet into something new occasionally.

I hope Marc knows that it's gone to a good home and I'll also hope he'll let me keep this thread going. Who knows if I can get it to a show, maybe I can twist his arm into helping with operating it again, I'm sure he won't refuse.

Thanks again Marc!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all, and especially hi to @Wayne 37901

Wayne has indeed taken ownership of PNS - funny how I never called it that before, but in these days of the TLA.... it makes perfect sense :)

I'm glad it has gone to a good home, and hopefully, I'll be able to get to see it again. Also hopefully, Wayne won't "modernise" it too much.... and clear all the weeds! ;) 

As I'd said before PNS did its' job for me, in demonstrating that you can have a small O gauge layout that includes some run-round manouvres, and doesn't cost the earth - albeit a layout that can only include wagons and small locos.... But as many of us have noted - in O gauge, a shunter and just a few wagons can create a sense of atmosphere, and draw onlookers in to a scene. Even a single wagon can have that indefinable "something" - a certain "gravitas" perhaps?

Enough wittering though - I mentioned to Wayne the other day, when I built PNS I hadn't fully decided what to opt for in terms of couplings.
One drawback of  making a fascia and in effect building your layout into a sort of cabinet, is that it can hinder ease of use of 3 link couplings....

Initially, I had thought that Sprat & Winkle couplings (my usual choice in 4mm) looked a tad obtrusive in 7mm. However, once blackened or painted, they don't offend my eye too much. Crucially, I could see the couplings in action, and as they were intended to be seen - within a setting / context.

I had already installed S&W's onto some stock - but PNS was an ideal test-bed for installing them onto the rest of my stock. I could easily plonk PNS onto the kitchen table or the coffee table in the lounge (with some excellent train DVD's on in the background) and happily tweak the couplings in daylight (there's no window in my workshop).

• Like 8

"I'm glad it has gone to a good home, and hopefully, I'll be able to get to see it again. Also hopefully, Wayne won't "modernise" it too much.... and clear all the weeds!"

Hiya Marc,

Fear not, I've been on the blower to control and they told me there are no plans for the weedkiller to visit Poynton anytime soon.

I have been thinking of a couple of ways that I could possibly put my own stamp on it though, but the first job will be to wire my NCE into it.

Of course you'll be able to see it again, you'll have to come over sometime for a drive.

I do hope you won't mind if I keep this thread going?

Cheers,

Wayne

• Like 3