Poynton Sneer sidings

marc smith

Hello Marc, just stumbled across this thread from a link posted elsewhere - & glad I did as you've created yet another gem of a layout! When I first saw the pics I was convinced that you'd used some of your own pics from Knuckle Yard as the backscene!

Hope you don't mind but I've sent you a PM.

All the best

Keith

Just a bit of fun folks.....

"Margam Sneer" ????

Crirtics of the Bachmann 08, beware ;)

post-2973-0-01629300-1337945768_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-85548700-1337945779_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Just caught up with this - excellent work with a good eye for detail - looks "right" although I tend to try and avoid using vehicles and people - usually click on 0 Gauge threads to find they are steam based - any plans for a Helly 37 or larger Traction?

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Just caught up with this - excellent work with a good eye for detail - looks "right" although I tend to try and avoid using vehicles and people - usually click on 0 Gauge threads to find they are steam based - any plans for a Helly 37 or larger Traction?

Ian

Would love a 37, but may be a tad large for Poynton....

one day, I'll start my min-space layout which WILL have room for one though.....

Couldn't agree more!

Mr Peco, are you listening?

.... there'll be a demand you know, when the Dapol 08 is out......

I have asked, and apparently as the minimum recommended radius in O gauge is 6ft, that's what they produce, and there "is no market" for tighter pointwork or, for that matter, other points, in O gauge.

Clearly there are quite a few of us here who think otherwise... because sure, if you're running a 37 or 4-6-2 then it's going to have problems with tight curves but for something like the 08 or the many small wheelbase industrial shunters with short wheelbase wagons out there for these type of micro-layouts they're going to be fine particularly given the usually tighter almost settrack radii found within industrial settings exactly like you portray well on this layout.

There is of course the Marcway option - or building your own, which many of us do not feel confident enough doing (and let's face it, if we did, there wouldn't be much of a market for Peco in the first place).

• Like 1

I have asked, and apparently as the minimum recommended radius in O gauge is 6ft, that's what they produce, and there "is no market" for tighter pointwork or, for that matter, other points, in O gauge.

Clearly there are quite a few of us here who think otherwise... because sure, if you're running a 37 or 4-6-2 then it's going to have problems with tight curves but for something like the 08 or the many small wheelbase industrial shunters with short wheelbase wagons out there for these type of micro-layouts they're going to be fine particularly given the usually tighter almost settrack radii found within industrial settings exactly like you portray well on this layout.

There is of course the Marcway option - or building your own, which many of us do not feel confident enough doing (and let's face it, if we did, there wouldn't be much of a market for Peco in the first place).

Is the "Y" point 8' radius though?

If it is, why not produce a 6' radius version?

It's strange that they have made this "rule" regarding their O gauge track, but not their OO

Many seem to think that 6' radius is the minimum acceptable,

but if you're using short wheelbase stock, I think it's rather large

I've seen plenty of tighter radii points, which still look fine to me

As you say, the answer is to build you own

Keep your eyes open at shows though

there are often a few second-hand points around...

Damn, I'll have to get there earlier now ;)

If you choose the Marcway option, take care to get rail heights right

Also, I tend to use cosmetic chairs - to match better with flexi track.....

I think the reason is that most O gauge modellers - due to the cost and requirement to build a lot more stuff than in other gauge - would be classed as more "advanced" or "serious" modellers, whereas there is not really the O gauge equivalent of "train set" modellers that would buy the equivalent of a Setrack oval track pack?

Marc,

I am mightily impressed by your layout - looks fantastic!

Anyone,

I have some old Lima short radius points if any is interested, just drop me a PM please! Hope this doesn't contravene any rules, it just seems opportune to mention it here!

Cheers,

John E.

Hello Mate

So the Rhondda Ramones World Tour is over at last!! Pity it never found its way to Market Harborough- we (as in me and the lad Woodcock) had to make do with Duane Eddy and Nell Bryden instead!!! Another gem in the offing by the look of things- if you need a co-pilot at Minehead in August, let me know. I was meant to be taking Weslo Steels, but Dave has decided that he'll now take that in 2014

Disgusting of Market Harborough

PS you still have first dibs of Saxlingham if you so desire.......just let me know!

• Like 1

Hello Mate

So the Rhondda Ramones World Tour is over at last!! Pity it never found its way to Market Harborough- we (as in me and the lad Woodcock) had to make do with Duane Eddy and Nell Bryden instead!!! .......

Hello bungus - didn't realise that was your name on here sir :)

No, the world tour isn't over - we've just been training up a temp replacement singer,

untill our singer can return

It's put things on hold for a while,

but anyway I've been busy with Blond-e as well

.... could run to TWO world tours,

or a CBGB's world tour, playing in both! ;)

but then I'd never get any modelling done..... shock horror

How is Saxlingham doing these days?

No more shows for it?

Also, haven't seen many pics of Trevanna Dries...

Can you post some on here? I really liked what you did in such a small area...

cracking layout sir :)

Speak soon & keep in touch Mr T

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few thoughts on backscenes folks....

Someone recently posted some questions about using photo backscenes on my old O gauge layout thread...

Several people had commented on the spacious feel of Poynton Sneer

I think this is partly down to not having too much stock on the layout at any one time...

I'm sure the backscene helps here as well

It does seem to have a sense of depth to it - adding to the feeling of space, I think.

I've hinted that the layout isn't quite finished

One area being the mirror on the right hand edge

it's a large area, and I intended to cover some of that area with an oil tank,

and some associated pipework / stanchions / girders etc

post-2973-0-27455600-1339148249_thumb.jpg

The feeling of space is also aided partly by the backscene continuing under the bridge

I originally intended to place some strips of black polythene,

to help as a viewblocker under the bridge

post-2973-0-95426200-1339148213_thumb.jpg

However, the continuation of the backscene, and scenery (another uncompleted job!)

seems to do the trick. The fiddle area has been painted, sprayed & weathered to match the layout,

and I think I'll not bother with the polythene now....

Cheers

Marc

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Just a few thoughts on backscenes folks....

Someone recently posted some questions about using photo backscenes on my old O gauge layout thread...

Several people had commented on the spacious feel of Poynton Sneer

I think this is partly down to not having too much stock on the layout at any one time...

I'm sure the backscene helps here as well

It does seem to have a sense of depth to it - adding to the feeling of space, I think. ....

Not all backscenes work as well as yours Marc.

I mentioned earlier that the paler, bluey tone to the backscene helps give the impression of distance but there's more to it than that. The nearest objects, the warehouses and chimneys are all small in scale which really helps push the scene into the distance. I'm very much minded of this classic explanation of perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U

• Like 5

On the topic of commercially available backscenes,

Just wondered how other modellers find them?

And do you find them difficult to use?

What adhesives and methods work best for you?

Let me know, as I do find them tricky to stick down evenly, and without shrinking, or air bubbles appearing...

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

On the topic of commercially available backscenes,

Just wondered how other modellers find them?

And do you find them difficult to use?

What adhesives and methods work best for you?

Let me know, as I do find them tricky to stick down evenly, and without shrinking, or air bubbles appearing...

Cheers

Hi Marc

When I was in Ian Allan's last week I noticed a specific product for gluing on backscenes - no idea how effective

it would be compared to normal adhesives/methods but might be worth investigating? It was called something

cunning like "backscene adhesive" if I remember rightly.

See you on the weekend anyway.

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

I've tried to quote and show one of your pics but I can't get that to work so I'll just ask the question. What did you use/how did you do it to get the foliage in the foreground in the very first pic? My layout doesn't need much in the way of greenery but I'd like to put some grass and weeds in a few corners. In N gauge I just use bits of Woodland Scenics coloured foam stuff but that's really not good enough for O gauge.

Hi great little layout you have there,could you tell me what the width of the layout is and would love to see some more pictures.

cheers

Hi there,

The layout is just under 5 feet in length

The depth varies a little, as I wanted a forground which slightly curves toward the viewer

It's around 15 inches or so, at its' deepest, I think...

The height is also around 15 inches

Hope this helps

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc,

......What did you use/how did you do it to get the foliage in the foreground in the very first pic? My layout doesn't need much in the way of greenery but I'd like to put some grass and weeds in a few corners. In N gauge I just use bits of Woodland Scenics coloured foam stuff but that's really not good enough for O gauge.

Hi there,

I use several different materials, as I like to use different textures and shades,

I feel this breaks up an area - particularly in the foreground...

This is best not overdone, however, as it could look too "fussy"

I hope it doesn't appear that way here....

Some of the foliage is heather, which I think I got from continental models...

With the grass, I have mainly used the longest fibres (best for overgrown grass, in O)

It is mostly static grass, applied with a cheap, £15 applicator from ebay

As a basis for some of the grass, I have also used Gaugemaster dead grass-

the type you get in a sort of sheet, and tear clumps from...

Onto some of the static grass, I have sprinkled some very fine, bright green scatter

I bought this in the 1970's - and it's way too bright to be used alone

However, it is very fine, and works well when used this way

post-2973-0-77129500-1339669370_thumb.jpg

I sometimes build up the static grass, to give a more unkempt/ overgrown feel

This is done by adding further applications, but wait untill the previous application is well & truly dry...

There are also a few patches of silflor grass tufts in there,

and the bushes are made from rubberised horsehair, finished off with Heki Flor foliage

(now hard to find in the UK, I think)

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Marc

Edit: PS the nettles are old decorators brush hairs,

dipped in pva, then into the fine "debris" bits from the bottom corner of a woodland scenics packet....

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 5

Great thread. Many thanks for sharing!

Btw I did the Soundtrack for Stu's "Signal Box" also at Taunton. Bit of overkill; I used more technology than was available at Abbey Road at the turn of the century.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Guest 838rapid

Hi Marc.

Thanks for info on how you do your landscape.

My only problem is when I looked at your 08 all I could read where the number was is DEPOT,old mans eyes here,well nearly 40,9 days to go.

Guess I should have gone to Specsavers.Other Optical places are availible.

Really like your work though.

Edited by 838rapid
  • Like 1

Hi Marc.

Thanks for info on how you do your landscape.

My only problem is when I looked at your 08 all I could read where the number was is DEPOT,old mans eyes here,well nearly 40,9 days to go.

Guess I should have gone to Specsavers.Other Optical places are availible.

Really like your work though.

Sorry you couldn't read the number....

The depot staff obviously can't be bothered with cleaning the 08 ;)

Only just noticed, it does look like the word "depot" though..... :)

Cheers

Hi Marc

Twas great to see Poynton Sneer this weekend - another classic micro from The Mirror Man!

Certainly lots of pointing but no sneering from the punters at the Lord & Butler show, nice one matey - looks superb

Roger

• Like 1

Roger,

It was a pleasure to see you too sir :)

Thanks for the kind words re Poynton

Is there a thread for your "Gnott Mushroom" layout?

It looked great, honestly Roger

You can't ditch the scale....

... I mean Myfanwy now has her own fan club ;)

Best

Marc