I am just starting model railways and could do with a little help

LULFAN

Hi all

Well things have stopped here at the moment SWMBO does now feel that £700 ish for the kitchen base units is not good value and we have now decided to build a timber frame round the room

Even taking into account the cost of the mitre saw and other bits we need the cost is a lot less than £700

I have spent 2 evenings with Anyrail and still cannot come up with a track plan that looks good so is there anyone out there that likes planning layouts that have a LUL presence ? If there is I would like to hear from you

Oh well back to Anyrail for another go tonight

I have obtained two good sets of kitchen units from skips (after asking the owner) over the years. It never ceases to astound me the stuff people throw away.

Ed

Hello LULFAN,

Sounds promising - its nice to share common interests. If its any help at all my own layout although not LT (not for want of trying) is built with 1" x 2" batons with 6mm MDF top upon which is the cork. Its very solid, reasonably light - I can move both boards when folded together unaided with relative ease - not bad for an eight foot long terminus. :D

What sort of things interest you in the world of LU? I confess to being from the 'Dark' side of the Underground - ('dark side' - see what I did there? ;) ) and have an interest in the Metropolitan Railway ever since I learned of underground steam engines, it fascinated me. My initial plans were naturally based off of that railway, places like Liverpool Street (MET) with bay platform, Chesham, Moorgate (CWL) even a fictional station adjacent to Euston Square however none of them came to fruition. I'd love to have the space you have to model in - sounds like bliss. I even tried to add 4th Rail to my layout however testing revealed that some of my stock disliked the additional rail so I dispensed with it and stayed with BR(S) thoughts for LU still rattle around...

Let us know what you decide on... a roundy-roundy with two stations one on each side of the room, some stabling sidings like Parsons Green, Perhaps a small MPD/shunting yard... excuse me I need to measure up the spare room methinks. :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hello LULFAN,

Sounds promising - its nice to share common interests. If its any help at all my own layout although not LT (not for want of trying) is built with 1" x 2" batons with 6mm MDF top upon which is the cork. Its very solid, reasonably light - I can move both boards when folded together unaided with relative ease - not bad for an eight foot long terminus. :D

What sort of things interest you in the world of LU? I confess to being from the 'Dark' side of the Underground - ('dark side' - see what I did there? ;) ) and have an interest in the Metropolitan Railway ever since I learned of underground steam engines, it fascinated me. My initial plans were naturally based off of that railway, places like Liverpool Street (MET) with bay platform, Chesham, Moorgate (CWL) even a fictional station adjacent to Euston Square however none of them came to fruition. I'd love to have the space you have to model in - sounds like bliss. I even tried to add 4th Rail to my layout however testing revealed that some of my stock disliked the additional rail so I dispensed with it and stayed with BR(S) thoughts for LU still rattle around...

Let us know what you decide on... a roundy-roundy with two stations one on each side of the room, some stabling sidings like Parsons Green, Perhaps a small MPD/shunting yard... excuse me I need to measure up the spare room methinks. :D

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hi Gary

Yes, I've always been a big fan of the Underground - all aspects of it really. As to the model, pardon the pun but you're on the right lines. The wife's from North London, her local stations were East Finchley and Bounds Green, so a station loosely based on those would be nice and the other station based on somewhere between Leytonstone and Epping on the Central (I'm from East London)

When I was young I remember seeing the coal trains rattle through Leytonstone so it would be nice if that station had some modest coal and goods facilities

Don't want the whole layout to be 3rd and 4th rail though, that'd be too much to do, so what I've got in mind is a railway that's got BR services on it but coming up a ramp are tube trains that terminate in our East Finchley equiv and then the trains come up on the other side of the layout on a ramp in a hidden fiddle yard area and terminate in a bay platform, rather like Woodford

The BR services would be steam and first generation DMUs, coal trains pulled by a N7 tank or a Class 20 and the underground service, a 59 tube stock (I found one, it was delivered yesterday - looks fabulous) and if Metro Models ever get round to it, a standard stock train

We don't want anything too ambitious but I think what we're proposing should be do-able on a 2 foot shelf right around the room, and it gives the wife loads of scope to let her creative side go on all the scenic bits

The timber's being delivered today for the baseboard, I'll post some pictures of construction and hopefully, a You-Tube video showing the first test train, in the not too distant

Hi yes I did B&Q want £53 for a 1000m base with no doors, Wickes charge £58 with doors and that was who I used to price up the units I could not find anyone selling bases for less just my luck wickes will not do a deal on the units I need

The cost of 44mmx44mm timber came out at about £110 vs £750 for base unit

I used B&Q base units. I waited until they had one of their regular 15% off weekends to buy! Have a look at my layout thread to see how they fit it. As somebody said earlier in the thread they do make access to the underside of the baseboard tricky so you need to do the electrics first.

Bit late this time round if you've bought the timber ... one for next time maybe?

I used B&Q base units. I waited until they had one of their regular 15% off weekends to buy! Have a look at my layout thread to see how they fit it. As somebody said earlier in the thread they do make access to the underside of the baseboard tricky so you need to do the electrics first.

Bit late this time round if you've bought the timber ... one for next time maybe?

The wood was not too bad I got enough to do it all and some over for just over £200 inc the ply tops cut to 8 x 2 and delivery

A power mitere saw cost me £70 so It came to a lot less than I first thought it would in fact if I add the track price in I am still below £700, and that is less than I was thinking the kitchen bases would cost from Wicks

The pictures of your layout look good I really like the industrial units and the car park around them You rally get the feel of such a place well done

• RMweb Gold

Hi LULFAN,

I have several foremen, clerk of works and contractors all wanting to paw in or supervise. Hard for them to keep a hard hat and vest on though lol.

Julian Sprott

Hi

Its been another slow day here

Very very hot and no air con in the railway room ! !

"Telecoms and signals had to move a shelve up to make room for the baseboard

That took a long time to make all new cables

telecom.jpg

Some more woodwork has been done though

progress.jpg

Got a problem though I need to know where the points will go to put in the cross bars under the ply and we still do not have a plan

• 6 months later...

Hi All

Work is still moving on

Got some new rolling stock but have had to redo platforms (again)

All is well now there is a new video showing some platform tests here

The video description tells you what is shown

Hope you enjoy it

• RMweb Gold

Good work. When I first installed platforms it took ages to run all the combinations of stock through all the roads and crossovers, but saves frustration later on.

I see the local chavs are protoypically blathered in broad daylight and laying on the platforms.......

Hi

"I see the local chavs are protoypically blathered in broad daylight and laying on the platforms." LOL I love it

I was thinking they were laying down 'cos they fainted when they saw a train. They do not run very often at the moment

But your idea is even better

Thanks for making Lyn and I smile

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work, those Metcalfe platform kits are a joy to work with and I truely made a novice mistake when I was building mine, I built the platform kit before building the layout........do'h, hence I had to scrap some and gave the rest to a friend.

Julian Sprott

• 6 months later...

Hi just starting a similar project based on the Bushey Heath Terminus of the abandoned northern heights extension, in 2mm fine scale with scratchbuilt 1935 and 1938 stock but struggling for good plans of the buildings, I have Beyond Edgeware by Tube which is useful, next approach is through LT Museum archive, failing that a rough guess!!!

Archived