91110 RAF Memorial Flight

CullingworthGNR

Seems as though Hornby have done what they said, KMRC have started charging cards.

Phoned  KMRC this morning (as off on my hols next week) and they said they hope to start shipping Monday or Tuesday.

Keith

Yes. KMRC were hoping to keep the lid on this till next week in order that they could get a head start on processing the orders. The models ARE in stock as of yesterday. I'm told that they look great. KMRC will get them out to customers a lot quicker if they don't have to keep stopping to answer the phone, so please avoid making enquiries at present. NO MODELS WILL BE SHIPPED BEFORE NEXT WEEK, so I am told.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Yes. KMRC were hoping to keep the lid on this till next week in order that they could get a head start on processing the orders. The models ARE in stock as of yesterday. I'm told that they look great. KMRC will get them out to customers a lot quicker if they don't have to keep stopping to answer the phone, so please avoid making enquiries at present. NO MODELS WILL BE SHIPPED BEFORE NEXT WEEK, so I am told.

CHRIS LEIGH

Yes, that's what I said in my posting....they hope to start shipping early next week.

....and the only reason I phoned them was to ascertain when the item was being shipped as I did not it delivered by a courier whilst I was away. KMRC was able to confirm to me that item was being sent Royal Mail and would therefore be covered by the "KeepSafe" arrangements I've made.

If KMRC were hoping to keep the lid on this until next week they should not have started charging cards until next week. They can't have their cake and eat it.

Keih

Yes, that's what I said in my posting....they hope to start shipping early next week.

....and the only reason I phoned them was to ascertain when the item was being shipped as I did not it delivered by a courier whilst I was away. KMRC was able to confirm to me that item was being sent Royal Mail and would therefore be covered by the "KeepSafe" arrangements I've made.

If KMRC were hoping to keep the lid on this until next week they should not have started charging cards until next week. They can't have their cake and eat it.

Keih

Sorry - I didn't mean that to sound quite the way it did. Just meant they ASKED ME not to announce it till next week as they wanted to get a head start on processing the orders. With the two Heljan limited editions and the Class 91, I guess they are going to be busy.

CHRIS LEIGH

Delighted to say these are now in stock. We still have some that are not spoken for, so if you want one, please place your order. Seems those who have received them so far are pleased with them. Hornby's paint job is quite exceptional.

CHRIS LEIGH

Looking forward to this one arriving. Card not charged yet but I was a fairly late order I'd imagine (October).

Can anyone suggest a good colour match to spray up a silver DVT?

The DVT used with 91 110 is in standard East Coast livery to match the coaches, and the rear end of the 91 is 'faded' from the pictures into the standard East Coast colour scheme - light grey with a pink stripe. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Edited for accuracy, I forgot they'd switched from silver to grey (was simply going off the Mk.4s I have in East Coast livery).

I see Hornby has a Mk4 First in matching East Coast livery but not seconds or DVTs. I am guessing they were available at the time the BBMF model was launched and have since sold out. Will try to find out if more are planned.

CHRIS LEIGH

I am guessing they were available at the time the BBMF model was launched and have since sold out. Will try to find out if more are planned.

CHRIS LEIGH

A DVT was never available. The BBMF "91110" was just sold as a single piece limited addition with nothing to accompany it. I think Hornby intended this model to stay on the shelf and not be run. 

You can use the Mk4s (whatever is available) but you will need to respray a DVT.

Just arrived through the post, unfortunately it's suffered from some factory paint damage around the front yellow panel and light cluster which is also damaged. An attempt at touching up has been made at the factory but it's still obvious, so that's a real shame. Apart from that it's a really nice effort from Hornby with well done packaging etc. Someone has to tell the chaps in the factory that if they damage something in the process, you don't patch it up and sell it! 

Kernow say return it and they'll send me another, so can't grumble too much. Just a bit disappointing after waiting so long.

Just arrived through the post, unfortunately it's suffered from some factory paint damage around the front yellow panel and light cluster which is also damaged. An attempt at touching up has been made at the factory but it's still obvious, so that's a real shame. Apart from that it's a really nice effort from Hornby with well done packaging etc. Someone has to tell the chaps in the factory that if they damage something in the process, you don't patch it up and sell it! 

Kernow say return it and they'll send me another, so can't grumble too much. Just a bit disappointing after waiting so long.

I'm sorry about that - it shouldn't happen. I've heard of this 'rectification' in relation to other Hornby models but I've never actually seen one. I thought it was a symptom of the newer Hornby contractors but evidently not, as the Class 91 is a Sander Kan product. Out of curiosity I'll get Kernow to send it on to me after they've exchanged it. Hope your replacement is OK. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Have just picked mine up and the decoration is lovely. However, slightly disappointed to find a standard old ringfield motor powering it. No sign in the instruction booklet of the DCC socket promised on the modelrailoffers website, or any guidance on how to remove the body etc. However, I assume it's in there somewhere. Pics to follow later.

I'm sorry about that - it shouldn't happen. I've heard of this 'rectification' in relation to other Hornby models but I've never actually seen one. I thought it was a symptom of the newer Hornby contractors but evidently not, as the Class 91 is a Sander Kan product. Out of curiosity I'll get Kernow to send it on to me after they've exchanged it. Hope your replacement is OK. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris, appreciated. Finally sent it out today first class, been ill. Hopefully mine was a one off fault. Looking forward to getting the model anyway, really nice and unusual. I don't model or run electrics but this was one to have 'just because'. One thing I did notice was that the power bogie had spoked wheels, which is rather perplexing but I've probably had a dud model so that's probs not relevant. Not that you can see the wheel faces from normal angles.

Alex

A DVT was never available. The BBMF "91110" was just sold as a single piece limited addition with nothing to accompany it. I think Hornby intended this model to stay on the shelf and not be run. 

You can use the Mk4s (whatever is available) but you will need to respray a DVT.

The only other option would be if you purchased the recently released Flying Scotsman liveried Train Pack (R3133) which contains the DVT, 82205, which is painted in the East Coast maroon scheme to match 91101. Hornby have not released the Mk4 DVT on its own, except when it was pretending to be a Mk3b DVT, for a long time and so the only way to buy one new has been to purchase a train pack.

As promised, some photos.  Arrived yesterday (Saturday), which I was very pleased with, especially as I had a message from KMRC saying my card had been declined.  I had to re-order with new card details.  So a couple of days delay in dispatching.

First, the box from KMRC.  A standard cardboard box, not too thick, slightly squashed on the ends.

post-1762-0-77877700-1396787377.jpg

Squashing not transferred to the inner box

post-1762-0-24774200-1396787455.jpg

post-1762-0-27875100-1396787469.jpg

post-1762-0-24055800-1396787482.jpg

The printed sleeve slides off, with the red box holding the plastic in a "well"

post-1762-0-25199400-1396787616.jpg

post-1762-0-73749800-1396787632.jpg

There is a "Certificate of Authenticity", I was quite pleased to find I had number 6 out of 1000.

The plastic sleeve slides off, with the plastic "box" folding off the model.  There are foam pads protecting under the wheels, and on each cab end.  The pantograph is sprung and extends when the plastic is unfolded. (Apologies for the blurred pic there)

post-1762-0-44308300-1396787785.jpg

For the model itself, no flaws on the paintwork on mine. The only faults here are my photography!

post-1762-0-90180700-1396787926.jpg

post-1762-0-44423600-1396787935.jpg

post-1762-0-65731800-1396787944.jpg

post-1762-0-64548200-1396787954.jpg

post-1762-0-03027400-1396787978.jpg

post-1762-0-94093800-1396787999.jpg

post-1762-0-41244100-1396788015.jpg

post-1762-0-35432200-1396788025.jpg

post-1762-0-15013800-1396788035.jpg

post-1762-0-63831800-1396788044.jpg

Superb paintwork, only let down by the usual, and expected, flaws in the underlying model.  Nevertheless a superb model, can't wait to get it running. It's way out for my era, but just had to be had.  The RAF benevolent fund donation sealed it for me.

As promised, some photos.  Arrived yesterday (Saturday), which I was very pleased with, especially as I had a message from KMRC saying my card had been declined.  I had to re-order with new card details.  So a couple of days delay in dispatching.

First, the box from KMRC.  A standard cardboard box, not too thick, slightly squashed on the ends.

attachicon.gifimage003.jpg

Squashing not transferred to the inner box

attachicon.gifimage006.jpg

attachicon.gifimage007.jpg

attachicon.gifimage008.jpg

The printed sleeve slides off, with the red box holding the plastic in a "well"

attachicon.gifimage009.jpg

attachicon.gifimage010.jpg

There is a "Certificate of Authenticity", I was quite pleased to find I had number 6 out of 1000.

The plastic sleeve slides off, with the plastic "box" folding off the model.  There are foam pads protecting under the wheels, and on each cab end.  The pantograph is sprung and extends when the plastic is unfolded. (Apologies for the blurred pic there)

attachicon.gifimage011.jpg

For the model itself, no flaws on the paintwork on mine. The only faults here are my photography!

attachicon.gifimage012.jpg

attachicon.gifimage013.jpg

attachicon.gifimage014.jpg

attachicon.gifimage015.jpg

attachicon.gifimage016.jpg

attachicon.gifimage018.jpg

attachicon.gifimage019.jpg

attachicon.gifimage020.jpg

attachicon.gifimage021.jpg

attachicon.gifimage023.jpg

Superb paintwork, only let down by the usual, and expected, flaws in the underlying model.  Nevertheless a superb model, can't wait to get it running. It's way out for my era, but just had to be had.  The RAF benevolent fund donation sealed it for me.

Thank you for posting those pics, now I wish I bought one. Are they still available? And is it from Kernow or Model Rail? I always thought it was from Model Rail but been seeing folks talk about KMRC :O just confused a bit :P

Thanks Chris, appreciated. Finally sent it out today first class, been ill. Hopefully mine was a one off fault. Looking forward to getting the model anyway, really nice and unusual. I don't model or run electrics but this was one to have 'just because'. One thing I did notice was that the power bogie had spoked wheels, which is rather perplexing but I've probably had a dud model so that's probs not relevant. Not that you can see the wheel faces from normal angles.

Alex

ALL Hornby class 91 models ever produced have , I am told, had spoked wheel bosses. However, they are virtually impossible to see, due to the wide polished wheelrims.

CHRIS LEIGH

Mine arrived yesterday. I'm very pleased with the finish of the model and I'm running it with the flying scotsman coaches and dvt. Also my Grandad was in the RAF so it was one of those "must have" models, despite me having no catenary on my layout. I'll put a video up of it running later.

I would have happily paid more if it had been upgraded with lights, nem couplings and all wheel drive. 

Archived