91110 RAF Memorial Flight

CullingworthGNR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It might just be me, but I hope in the years to come when the class 91s are past their inevitable sell by date (like any locomotive) that this locomotive and its livery are preserved. It is a truly beautiful tribute to the men and women of this country who lived and died in defending this green and pleasant land.

It's not a model which would fit into my modelling plans - but who cares about that! Well done Model Rail for taking it on.

• RMweb Gold

Saw the real planes at the Folkestone Air Show yesterday - certainly caused a lump in the throat as they flew past - the Lancaster looked well and truly majestic as it did it's show piece in front of the crowd.

For this reason alone will order one of these locos once they are announced.

Keith

A couple of pictures of 91110 after the unveilling at York. We were there waiting for the unveilling by Carol Vorderman :swoon: but got hungry and had to get some fodder! so missed it when the curtin came down. But we still saw the flypast by the Lanc, hurricane and Spitfire.

post-6766-0-71968900-1338737368.jpg

post-6766-0-97775500-1338737374_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-85004200-1338737377.jpg

post-6766-0-97314300-1338737380.jpg

post-6766-0-56941900-1338740358.jpg

It might just be me, but I hope in the years to come when the class 91s are past their inevitable sell by date (like any locomotive) that this locomotive and its livery are preserved. It is a truly beautiful tribute to the men and women of this country who lived and died in defending this green and pleasant land.

It's not a model which would fit into my modelling plans - but who cares about that! Well done Model Rail for taking it on.

The loco itself has some degree of historical significance, but don't forget, it's only vinyl and I doubt very much it'll finish it's service career in this livery (if it does it'll be very shabby by then). Hopefully a spare set has been printed or even saved onto memory an presented to the NRM...

Did anybody get a decent shot of the plaque on the flat cab at the back?

Hi,

By the looks of it, the plaque will be just a metal version of the vinyl squadron ensigna of the BBMF that can be seen on the side.

I may be wrong of course, so don't quote me on it!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

The plague on the back cab is to commemorate the speed record the loco set as seen in the attached link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deltic17/7322450946/in/photostream/

To be honest, I think it could of been attached in a better place like under the nameplate, but I guess they were trying to find a place were it wouldn't obstruct the special livery.

Like most people have mentioned, I doubt the moulding has been updated, but I am hoping for the upgraded pantograph as fitted to the their Class 87's, which should help with improving the look.

Cheers

Chris

Today's rail magazine let slip that Model Rail will be commissioning a limited edition model of 91110 in its new livery - sounds good to me!

Why wasn't this posted under the Hornby products section where I had (in all innocence) started another thread?

Can I suggest that the moderators move this thread to the Hornby section where it belongs.

Well it's a Model Rail commission so it makes as much sense here as in the Hornby section tbh.

Suspect I'll be pre-ordering one but would like to know a bit more about the spec first.

Pretty expensive paint job it has to be said.

Nice idea and it's tremendous that a donation for each sale will be made but I personally cannot pay more for a basic spec model than I would for a top spec one such as the Bachmann class 85.

No doubt it will be a nice model for many people though so fair play.

Nice livery. Doubtless I will see her at some point on the ECML.

Couple of responses to points above - If the plaque is to follow the the precedent set by mallard, the 'company name' should be 'Intercity' not EastCoast. Mallards plaque was, I believe fitted in 1948, yet read LNER.

Also regarding the historical significance of the Loco, I would hate it to eclipse 91031, designated by the HRC for being the fastest loco hauling fare paying passengers, and the last express passenger loco built for BR (also carried a commmemorative plate for a while - can't find a pic, but here's Hornby's take on it towards the front end http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=1402 ). This is the one for the NRM, arguably of (slightly) more historical significance.

Let the ACLG preserve '10, and make sure someone else preserves number 1 and whichever ends up in the best mechanical condition!

• 1 year later...

With the standard class 91 train pack arriving at retailers does that mean these are very close even on the same boat maybe?

Mark

We were told by Hornby to expect them in March but we have had delivery dates before that have passed without delivery.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We were told by Hornby to expect them in March but we have had delivery dates before that have passed without delivery.

CHRIS LEIGH

Seems as though Hornby have done what they said, KMRC have started charging cards.

Phoned  KMRC this morning (as off on my hols next week) and they said they hope to start shipping Monday or Tuesday.

Keith

Archived