Class 22 in South Wales

Does anyone know if Class 22s came across from Bristol to South Wales in the late 1960s up until they became extinct? I have recollections of going to Newport and Severn Tunnel Junction but don't believe I ever saw any in those locations. Most of my spotting was done around Cardiff where we used to get the occasional Warship but no 22s. I knew they were around Bristol and Gloucester so am assuming they must have surely made the odd foray in to Welsh territory.

I need to justify having one on my South Wales based stabling point, to accompany a green FYE Warship and Falcon amongst other.

If any of you chaps out there have any information I'd be happy to hear from you.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

27 locos made it to Newport - but a one way journey am afraid! Cashmores graveyard - see http://www.wnxx.com/disposals/class22.htm. Also 1 to Morriston

Its only a small leap to imagine at least one working there under their own power!

Kind regards

Phil

Tony

I know of two personally making it to Cardiff.

I saw D6354 working a 'down' train of ballast hoppers into Cardiff General at lunchtime on Saturday 6th. March, 1971. The ultimate destination, I never found out - but it had originated from Lydney, so most probably loaded at Parkend Marsh Sidings.

In "Taff Vale Lines to Penarth" by Neil Sprinks & Eric Mountford pub. Oakwood Press there is a photo taken through the cab window of a DMU at Llandough (twixt Grangetown and Cogan) which shows another Cl.22 in the down loop, again on a ballast working.

As I'm in work, I don't have the number of the latter loco to hand, but the photo in the Oakwood Press book I'm sure shows a loco in GSYP.

The influx of Cl.25s 5179-5182 & 7624/25 from Holbeck to Ebbw Jct. in October/November 1970 was supposed to render the Bristol Cl.22s outbased at Lydney (via Gloucester) redundant. The Cl.25s which replaced them on the FoD workings were outbased at Severn Tunnel Jct. but they ended up in pairs working Newport - Ebbw Vale iron ore.

Hope this helps.

Brian R

You may well ask - how does he remember it was Saturday, 6th. March, 1971 ?

Because, being a Cardiff City supporter, I can say we beat Carlisle Utd 4-0 at home that Saturday and then, the following Wednesday, 10th. March, 1971 was for most of us, the greatest night in the history of Cardiff City FC (work that out for yourselves).

Oh and by the way, the only other time I recall seeing a Cl.22 this side of the tunnel, was on 25th. April, 1970 as my Cardiff - Eastbourne 'Mystery Trip' passed Severn Tunnel Jct. and there was D6343 together with D141, D814, D1756/1911/1938 and D3596.

Brian R

In "Taff Vale Lines to Penarth" by Neil Sprinks & Eric Mountford pub. Oakwood Press there is a photo taken through the cab window of a DMU at Llandough (twixt Grangetown and Cogan) which shows another Cl.22 in the down loop, again on a ballast working.

As I'm in work, I don't have the number of the latter loco to hand, but the photo in the Oakwood Press book I'm sure shows a loco in GSYP.

Now I'm home from work, and whilst cooking a chicken madras, I've dug out the Oakwood Press book.

The photo is dated 28th April, 1971 and shows D6327 with a SYP - it's difficult to tell whether it's in green or blue, but that can be gleaned elsewhere.

The train is held in the down loop, with a string of either Catfish or Dogfish behind and three bods standing around the signal phone.

Hope this helps

Brian R

And yes, BlackRat was right, Brian Clark's header against Real Madrid that night is probably MY greatest Cardiff City moment - but let's face it, there haven't been many of them (apart from the last four or so annual trips to watch them lose at Wembley).

Great. Thanks to all and especially Brian. So now I have a number of excuses to buy 1 or even 2, on it's way to the scrappies, being revived from the scrapyard and on a rare freight working. I would have got one anyway and made it up but at least I no know that no one can accuse me of having a very far fetched imagination.

I remember March 1971 very well, I was at both games, although I'd forgotten they were so close together. Luckily as 15 year old I had a junior season ticket in the Canton Stand, so was there right behind the goals for Alan Warboys' four 1st half goals v Carlisle (3 in the first 9 minutes!) and the late Brian Clark's famous header versus Real Madrid. This , in my opinion, still ranks as the greatest victory I've witnessed involving City (the Madrid one not the Carlisle one).

Thanks again. I'm off to Florida for a month now so will probably come back with a sound US loco and some building kits. Anyway I see Lord & Butler are doing weathered class 22s for £155 so may need a remortgage. Also I missed the Pontypridd show the other week, arriving at 3.45pm just before closing, because I chose to watch City play (well draw) with Leeds. Should have gone to the show instead.

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

Just seen this thread,to cap it off,I was speaking to 2 ex Canton men yesterday whilst running my 22s on Ranson Bridge at Lord and Butlers open weekend,and they confirmed that they turned up occasionally for tyre turning,which was news to me,

The photo in Taff Vale lines to Penarth of a 22 at llandough sidings is the well known blue small yellow panel 6327.

So.....an excuse to buy a couple more

BrianT

Archived