Dumbarton East Goods yard Signal Box

Here is my scratch built 4mm of Dumbarton East signal box. I only had two pictures of it to go by.

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

As you can see from one of the pictures, The signal box is an odd shape as it had to fit inbetween the embankment and a block of flats but now they have been demolished, there is a public house in the place now. Also the signal box has gone but just remnents of it remain.

I had 2 pictures of it and 1 of what is left. The first picture and another one that was taken a distance away from the other side. I had to use a bit of guess work to how the front of it looked. But it has not turned out to bad so far. So with a bit of weathering in and the interior furnishing in the signal box it won't look too bad!

The box is nearly done. Just the brick work and the interior to do.

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0276.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

Oh yeah and the weathering on the outside. i have just got to do the other bit that will attach to the bit near the door under the stairs.

Ian,

That's looking excellent. Are you intending to model the whole Dumbarton East station?

Jim.

Hi Jim

Yeah i am but it will be only 6 coaches long though due to space, I have been concerntraiting on the signal box over the past few weeks. I have a thread in the layouts section. it is the GCR in Scotland one.

I have a thread in the layouts section. it is the GCR in Scotland one.

It was the "GCR" which threw me. :D I only have time to skim read message titles when I visit and I select ones which might interest me. But the layout is looking good - I like the bridge work over Glasgow Road. What era are you modelling since I think the real box disappeared after the Blue Trains came on line and the new box at Dumbarton Central took over control of the area.

Jim.

I am going to be modeling the late green / early br blue but it will be still in use (modellers license) on my layout. It is incorporating bits from my area that i lived in. Loughborough GCR, Dumbarton East and i will try and put a bit of Toton in to it as well if i can.

The Nearly finished Signal box. All i have got to do now is buy the interior furniture and weather it up a bit to darken the plastic.

IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

I have used modellers license a bit with the stairs as the original didn't have steps down to ground level. The only reason this is, is because i cut the stairs a bit to short so i have adapted it. I will be putting hand rails on the steps that have none.

Someone was wanting to see the box in situ. As i have put it on the layout tempory fixture for now till i can get on to do more on the layout..

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

all i need to do is paint it and do the interior but at the moment money has become an issue for now! So the bits i have got is gonna have to be used up and when money is better i will have to restock.

Archived