Railways in the Snow

Torn-on-the-platform

Hello everyone!

Something I have always wanted to do is take photos of steam trains in the snow. I have never really had the chance, especially with the recent lack of snow. 2009's snow would have been perfect, but it came on a Sunday night and had all but melted by the next weekend, and which railways run a steam service during the week in February? Very few I imagine.

I have had a scout of the internet, looking for snowy Bluebell Railway photos in particular and was suprised at how hard it was to find anything! So I came up with the idea to start a thread for people to contribute their own wintery railway photography. Perhaps some anecdotes as well! If all goes to plan, this thread could turn into a great little album!

I don't mind when or where the photos were taken, and snow is not a necessity. Steam in the air is always preferable! Wintery morning and evening shots would also be more than welcome.

I apologise that I currently have nothing to contribute myself, but I hope to get a visit or two to a 'local' railway over my Christmas break, so hopefully I will contribute in time!

• RMweb Gold

A couple of old ones taken by my father in 1963.

post-5613-12609705173093_thumb.jpg
Gamston V2 up fitted freight Jan 63

post-5613-12609705313514_thumb.jpg
Wilford Brickworks 9F 92072 down goods Jan 63

There are a few more with snow scattered around my flickr collections.

David

Brilliant shots of the Dukedog, I'm used to seeing it in Black now - seems odd that less than a year ago it was still in Green!

Thick frost, clear skies, leaking steam. Perfect.

When I wrote this post last night, I wasn't expecting today's snow! Unfortunately its raining in Sheffield. I hope the real snow can wait until Saturday afternoon so it doesnt disrupt my journey home to London.

In 2007 / 2008 I was working in Poland, a collegue and myself decided to go to Hel

post-7313-12613351958694_thumb.jpg

Hel Station

and as you can see, Hel does freeze over!

post-7313-12613352098471_thumb.jpg

Gdynia G?‚??wna Station.

For why was I in Poland - see my avatar!

A bit off topic but this

might interest some people

Jeremy

Archived