Railways in the Snow

Torn-on-the-platform

Rick skateboard, I like the 8F on passengers.

Have you considered cropping the shot, to give the engine more impact?

I really planned to post a steam in the snow shot today.

I went out to see 44871 on its move from the ELR to Carnforth.

I waited at Euxton till two oclock, and then had to return to the office.

According to posts elsewhere, it must have sailed through 10 minutes later.

So all I can post is modern traction.

First the southbound mail with 325015.

post-506-12614192224471_thumb.jpg

Next a filthy 66166 on a northbound car train.

By the sound of it, the last wagon had square wheels.

post-506-12614192408079_thumb.jpg

A Pendo, kicking up the snow, heading north.

post-506-12614192723649_thumb.jpg

Finally, the northbound mail with 325011.

post-506-12614192902859_thumb.jpg

Another chance to get 44871 in the snow tomorrow, as its doing a loaded test run.

• RMweb Gold

A couple at Buston Barns, just south of Alnmouth in Northumberland earlier today.

post-5613-12615889911614_thumb.jpg

Buston Barns Northumberland up and down Voyagers 23rd December 2009

post-5613-12615890087638_thumb.jpg

Buston Barns Northumberland East Coast Class 91 down 23rd December 2009

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Something I have always wanted to do is take photos of steam trains in the snow. I have never really had the chance, especially with the recent lack of snow. 2009's snow would have been perfect, but it came on a Sunday night and had all but melted by the next weekend, and which railways run a steam service during the week in February? Very few I imagine.

I have had a scout of the internet, looking for snowy Bluebell Railway photos in particular and was suprised at how hard it was to find anything! So I came up with the idea to start a thread for people to contribute their own wintery railway photography. Perhaps some anecdotes as well! If all goes to plan, this thread could turn into a great little album!

Little did you know what winter weather lay ahead for us in the following two months, starting the day after you had made this request. rolleyes.gif

• 7 months later...

Snow is on its way according to the BBC! My understanding is that it won't be the crippling kind of snow that we had at christmas that, in the South East atleast, only steam could cope with, but even a dusting of snow would surely enhance any railway photo?

I'm hoping that this thread will continue to be as successful as it was earlier in the year. Please keep it in mind!

• 5 years later...

Loved those recently added WR shots. Very tasty IMO.

Now, I wonder if anyone can help me with the attached shots. I've owned the negatives for about 8 years and I actually had the images on my erstwhile Fotopic site together with the question, "Does anyone recognise the location?" but nobody came up with an answer. The photographer is known to have lived near or in Cambridge and these shots were probably taken in that area. It's obviously snow clearance in January 1947 and the two attached images show the only buildings in the four negatives that I have here. The locomotive which I used to think was a Fowler 4F is actually more likely to be a J17.

post-10609-0-89702200-1453218725_thumb.jpgpost-10609-0-17883700-1453218764_thumb.jpg

Thank you for viewing these images which I shall also post on the LNER Forum in due course.

Rgds,

Mike M.

Archived