Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

The other job going on in the background is some reinforcing work to the baseboard ends. This was something I got wrong when I built the boards originally. The strips of ply that form the board ends were never fixed sufficiently. Over time they have worked loose - particularly with the end protection boards fitted to them. In transit backwards and forwards motion has forced them loose.

So here I’m getting them back into the correct position and then adding some reinforcement. 

49908CB6-3EF0-4806-A5B2-AB6E6893D234.jpeg.213accc17e1325d3984026ed57f8b190.jpeg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

At a cheesy antiques fair at the weekend I bought a book, a photographic study, West Bromwich, people and places.  It had a tram on the front so couldn't resist.  Lots of pictures of pubs through the decades.  I stopped dead when I found the 'eight locks' pub.  Instant recognition.  It Bcb's very own chain makers pub.  Apparently singer and songwriter Jack Judge used to perform there.  He is the guy who wrote 'it's a long way to Tipperary'.  I had always assumed the writer would have Irish origins, maybe jack was?  

Andy

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, wagonbasher said:

I had always assumed the writer would have Irish origins, maybe jack was?  

Andy

He was born in the Black Country. His parents came from Co. Mayo, and his grandparents from Tipperary. The song was co-credited to Harry Williams whose brother had a pub in Oldbury.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Added more details about family.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
On 26/02/2020 at 08:50, TheSignalEngineer said:

He was born in the Black Country. His parents came from Co. Mayo, and his grandparents from Tipperary. The song was co-credited to Harry Williams whose brother had a pub in Oldbury.

I've got all his albums......

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Quite a while ago Andy York agreed for me to use some of his photographs on here. Now seems a good time to give them an airing...

63548DCD-A59D-495A-AE59-02EF12ACA1BA.jpeg.7d9f43a1625fd72a39a0476363ee9ce2.jpeg

Is the lorry an actual model or is it painted on the backscene? If its painted on the edge of the 'shadow' is a brilliant way of creating an invisible scenic break.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Is the lorry an actual model or is it painted on the backscene? If its painted on the edge of the 'shadow' is a brilliant way of creating an invisible scenic break.

It is a real Lorry, well it's a model. Loaded with two cable drums from AEI cables at Birtley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Whats involved?

Not booking the van.

Not needing to rope in enough operators.

Not letting OG behind the wheel.

Just turn up in the topic armed with pics, insults etc.

You get to drink your own choice of beer too. All day.

No getting home late either.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1