Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

In your scenario it may be possible to advance the the theory that it is possible to place the bottles there but I suspect that the experienced and dare I say it world weary officer will consider the reaction of the contents of a pressure vessel to external heat sources as a possible threat to life and limb.

There is also the implied invitation to a non thinking individual to add non compliant goods to the existing group,which in turn will add to the decision. It is easier to keep an area clear rather than police the contents of a group of containers.

On the other hand I can visualise the area becoming the habitual parking place for staff cycles and motor bikes without anyone realising the irony of the contents of the fuel tanks!

Wally

In your scenario it may be possible to advance the the theory that it is possible to place the bottles there but I suspect that the experienced and dare I say it world weary officer will consider the reaction of the contents of a pressure vessel to external heat sources as a possible threat to life and limb... Wally

Curses and naughty words!

I'll have to think of something else to put there. Perhaps some sort of air scrubbing equipment (and replace the warning sign with one warning of high voltages)?

iD

• RMweb Premium

Curses and naughty words!

I'll have to think of something else to put there. Perhaps some sort of air scrubbing equipment (and replace the warning sign with one warning of high voltages)?

iD

As suggested above a bike rack or shed.

• Like 1

But then no need for the cordoned off area.

I'd like to keep the cordoned off area (that's a Sunday afternoon's work there, what with it being fiddly and a contrary beast and all that...) rather than build something afresh.

'Tis a Pity such a suggestion was not mooted earlier, as I suspect a bicycle shed somewhat less tempremental to build than the chain link fence....

• RMweb Premium

But then no need for the cordoned off area.

I'd like to keep the cordoned off area (that's a Sunday afternoon's work there, what with it being fiddly and a contrary beast and all that...) rather than build something afresh.

'Tis a Pity such a suggestion was not mooted earlier, as I suspect a bicycle shed somewhat less tempremental to build than the chain link fence....

Can't you move the cordoned off area, chain link fence and all elsewhere?

FOUND IT! (the solution, that is)

As a research facility, it will need to filter and scrub the air extracted from fume hoods, clean rooms, etc. before expelling the air into the atmosphere. Thus a suitably old looking HVAC Filtration unit (or similar) would go very well there. And you'd want to cordon it off....

Also fairly simple to build :sungum:

iD

• Like 5

Hi just a quick reply to say saw the layout at donny mighty and impresive  with the work that has been done so far sorry not had the chance to read this blogg yet been working away far to much over the last couple of years so if this has alresdy been mentioned in the blog I rearly liked the look of the lighting for the layout what rig has been used to create the efect

keep up the good work and I will read the blog now that I am home for the forseable future

Geoff

• Like 1

My original thought was an unofficial parking area using what was officially forbidden space not any form of permanent structure, but ID's suggestion of a air plant outlet might have been allowed at the time as it does not emit any combustible gases or heat.

Perhaps a hand painted notice on the fence stating "no dumping" or similar message may finish the scene off.

Wally

With the ladders I have been making, I did say after all, there's more to add including the cover, internal supports, lights and ladders.

I haven't added them yet as I have been thinking about a security type retracting ladder.

I have tried both, but can't decide on which to go for. Mind you...........my little folk can levitate just like the Daleks!!! ;)

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 1

Added some laddering and lamps today, ohhhh and the 'water'!!

BUT.......no pics as someone HAD to poke the said water to 'see if it was dry!' Which of course it wasn't was it.

And YES it WAS me!!!!!!!

So will hopefully add a pic tomorrow, when nice and dry!

• Like 1

TECHNICAL QUESTION

The contractors for the Oldbury Road and Tennants buildings (Reinacher Maschinen und Wagen Bau AG, Switzerland) have organised a courier to deliver the 2 buildings to the BCB layout at Alexandra Palace on Saturday, March 23rd at 09:50 (or so).

These buildings will have lighting installed and will require a 12V DC feed. Are the baseboard electrics set up to provide such a feed, and if not, can they be?

As these two buildings are right at the front, the interiors will be (should be?) visible when lit and it would be nice to have them connected up for the show.

iD

p.s. I will be installing mini banana-plugs for the wiring connections

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1

TECHNICAL QUESTION

The contractors for the Oldbury Road and Tennants buildings (Reinacher Maschinen und Wagen Bau AG, Switzerland) have organised a courier to deliver the 2 buildings to the BCB layout at Alexandra Palace on Saturday, March 23rd at 09:50 (or so).

These buildings will have lighting installed and will require a 12V DC feed. Are the baseboard electrics set up to provide such a feed, and if not, can they be?

As these two buildings are right at the front, the interiors will be (should be?) visible when lit and it would be nice to have them connected up for the show.

iD

p.s. I will be installing mini banana-plugs for the wiring connections

Great news on the buildings.

is there any chance they could come the day before to allow us half a chance of planting them ahead of the show - its quite a messy job if we have to chop the polystyrene?

I'm sure the power supply will not be a problem.

Great news on the buildings.

is there any chance they could come the day before to allow us half a chance of planting them ahead of the show - its quite a messy job if we have to chop the polystyrene?

I'm sure the power supply will not be a problem.

Alas not. I have already booked a non-refundable, non-changeable ticket, so I am unable to come to London any earlier*. And even if I do get the models completed some days (or more) before the show, I really don't want to trust them to the vagaries of the postal services. If they went missing or got damaged, then the BCB layout's timelines would really go up the spout! (one of the reasons I am delivering them by hand).

However, the footprints of both buildings are 99.99% identical to the mock ups, so minimal "hacking away" will be required (if any). However, the BCB team will need to have a set of Xuron brass etch snips and Xuron plastic cutters on hand. The former to trim the fire escape (if necessary) and the second to trim the watergoods down spouts (again, if necessary).

Where I do see a small difference is in the wall projecting from the lean-to (it will be thicker than the mock-up) and the area behind the Tennants building (where the fire escape and the air scrubbers sit - but they lie on the surface)

iD

I arrive in London at 07:55 at LCY, so in extremis, could make Ally Pally about 09:00 or so (depending upon transport)

Having seen the mocks ups, which looked very acceptable for a work in progress, if there is any difficulty you could just leave the mocks ups in place and display the completed buildings alongside until you can fit them properly - could add an extra bit of dynamism.

• Like 2

Having seen the mocks ups, which looked very acceptable for a work in progress, if there is any difficulty you could just leave the mocks ups in place and display the completed buildings alongside until you can fit them properly - could add an extra bit of dynamism.

Interesting idea.

However I am confident* that the buildings will fit with minimal (if any) work

iD

* ± 1 SD

Added a few more bits, the odd ladder, lamps, water gauge etc and a Monty's man....just for effect and to get some scale.

the waters now dry, yes I touched it....again!

Started to sort some sort of cover out but need to get on as I do sometimes have to work (lates all weekend :( )

I have modeled it 'full'  which means I didn't do all the internal bracing but it looks better full imho.

Anyhow, for what its worth..............

post-7061-0-66318200-1361537476.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed following the build as we are nearly there, and hopefully the BC Boys will think it merits a place, if not, I have just the spot for it!

• Like 18