Black Country Blues

Indomitable026

Guys

I can recommend an author Keith Hodgkins who is an expert on local history in the Tipton and wider Black Country area.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=Keith+hodgkins&search=search

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Tipton-Through-Time-Keith-Hodgkins/9781848681460

His books give an excellent pictorial insight to the area and industry that went on there. You may need to find some out via any of the second hand book websites such as abebooks or ukbookworld.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Watery Lane is an LMS ARP box, not really typical of the area and I'm not sure it controls any signals, I thought it supervised the level crossings.

Littletons is a good example of a shunt frame but assumes the main line is controlled from a PSB of course.

Fair comment, Dave - I was more thinking of the location arrangement rather than the 'box details. The fact it's called a "shunt frame" also made me assume it was kept to control the sidings in the area (since removed - seem to remember some sort of gas holders with a rail connection?).

• RMweb Premium

Guys

I can recommend an author Keith Hodgkins who is an expert on local history in the Tipton and wider Black Country area.

http://www.bookdepos...s&search=search

http://www.bookdepos...s/9781848681460

His books give an excellent pictorial insight to the area and industry that went on there. You may need to find some out via any of the second hand book websites such as abebooks or ukbookworld.

Thanks for those. I spoke to Keith last year during research for my Wolverhampton Low Level project - but must admit I wasn't aware of his books.

Cheers for the Middleton Press recommendations too; I have the Stourbridge to Wolverhampton volume, but not the Stour Valley Line one.

Back in the seventies I went on a BR trip from Watford Jctn to Wolverhampton and then by coach to the Black Country and a trip round a traditional glass works I think in Brierly Hill saw Camp Hill line from the coach seemed to be dmu,s running then plus freight.

Fair comment, Dave - I was more thinking of the location arrangement rather than the 'box details. The fact it's called a "shunt frame" also made me assume it was kept to control the sidings in the area (since removed - seem to remember some sort of gas holders with a rail connection?).

I believe this was a terminal delivering LPG to West Midlands Gas Board, dating from the days before North Sea Gas.; still shown in my 1980 Baker.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If we're going for semaphore signalling, howz about GWR / WR posts with LMS / LMR upper quadrant replacement arms...?

Never happen on the real thing, next you'll suggest they had them in Scotland !

• Like 5

To make ammends for my lack of area knowledge, I bought the June 2012 issue of " Steam Days" mag yesterday. There is an excellent 14 page article entitled "Passing the time at Bradley Lane", an interesting, well written and illustrated article on the ex GWR line at Bradley Lane between Wednesbury & Bilston, written (in english !!) by a local lad. Definitely Black Country.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Yes, we'll need something to dump abandoned bikes and shopping trolleys in!

When I toured the Birmingham area canals in a 'Brum Tug' (cheapo hire from Brummoi Boats near Gas Street Basin back in the 1980s, manager's name was Larroi, I think ;) ), the epitome of sunken 'treasure' to ground your boat on would have been a Mark 1 Cortina.... :lol:

• RMweb Gold

When I toured the Birmingham area canals in a 'Brum Tug' (cheapo hire from Brummoi Boats near Gas Street Basin back in the 1980s, manager's name was Larroi, I think ;) ), the epitome of sunken 'treasure' to ground your boat on would have been a Mark 1 Cortina.... :lol:

Not quite Black Country, of course, but I recall being on the Erewash and our prop found some rebar grid (proper name not known to me) which stalled the drive. Unfortunately, comma, this was as we were entering a lock, and the chap at the helm was thus unable to "brake" by using reverse thrust, and we collided with the further pair of lock doors. The fourth member of the team was in the galley at the time, and emerged after the bump wearing rather a lot of tomato soup.....
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Not quite Black Country, of course, but I recall being on the Erewash and our prop found some rebar grid (proper name not known to me) which stalled the drive. Unfortunately, comma, this was as we were entering a lock, and the chap at the helm was thus unable to "brake" by using reverse thrust, and we collided with the further pair of lock doors. The fourth member of the team was in the galley at the time, and emerged after the bump wearing rather a lot of tomato soup.....

At least you stopped. I was up the River Lee once when we came across a stoppage. A boat going downstream forgot to stop when it entered a lock, and managed to turn the bottom gates inside out (I've got a picture of the aftermath somewhere). I would imagine that would be an "interesting" experience.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Sounds to be a fascinating concept with potentially many characterful features; is there an outline plan that can be shared yet, to help visualise how all these idea will come together?

Yes Neil, there will be plenty appearing soon. The SFG had another meeting last night to tighten down on various features and finalise the basic plan (in amongst eating pies!). Watch this space (or at least a space in the BCB area) for info and details

• RMweb Premium

Well, I think we've kept you in suspense long enough, I think it’s about time we actually told you a little about what it is we are actually going to be building. The outline of the project came from John (Old Gringo) and I’d like to thank Chris (2manyspams) for pulling this and the thoughts from about two weeks of “brainstorm by e-mail†to form the basis of the project proposal which we submitted for consideration.

The aim of the project is to demonstrate and explain the civil engineering of the Victorian railway system, which should underpin all of our models. The concept is a scale ¼ mile (20 chains) of railway built to prototypical standards of cross section, vertical and horizontal alignment. It will also show the lesser standards adopted by industrial lines by including a connection to an off-scene industry. The trackwork will be hand built (in EM gauge) to prototypical formations. It will be correctly signalled by working semaphores and have the supporting S&T infrastructure.

The boards will be built to suit the levels and shape of the Black Country scenery – we will not be starting with a flat top board. Our landscape will contain examples of the engineering structures commonly found on the British railway network. Each feature will be built to the dimensions stipulated in the Railway Clauses Act of 1845 and will reflect the architectural style of the Grand Junction line.

Below is the plan which we discussed (between mouthfuls of pies) last night:

post-6677-0-34164100-1337890848_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again to everyone who has posted on this topic, your links, photos and comments are really helping us get a feel for the features we need to include to make sure the layout has a distinctly Black Country look about it.

Can anybody think of a location in the BC where a canal and railway ran side-by-side and pass under a road bridge (or bridges)?

Cheers

Thanks again to everyone who has posted on this topic, your links, photos and comments are really helping us get a feel for the features we need to include to make sure the layout has a distinctly Black Country look about it.

Can anybody think of a location in the BC where a canal and railway ran side-by-side and pass under a road bridge (or bridges)?

Cheers

The aforementioned Tipton. Had/s a boatyard as well.

And this is where I learnt my trade as a railway enthusiast !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/midlandexplorerboy/6256546031/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/midlandexplorerboy/6256546033/in/photostream/

My Grandad worked at the gas works in the second photo.