Skinningrove Zig-Zag Railway

wilsoh

Hi all, Cleveland Model Railway Club [CMRC} has been commissioned by Cleveland Ironstone Mining Museun {CIMM} to build a working model of Loftus ironstone mine and the zig-zag railway which served the mine and others in the vicinity. The time of the model will be 1910, before the viaduct was filled in due to substenance. The line drops approx 150 ft via two reversing necks to the valley floor with gradients up to 1:33. We are currently researching the line and collecting old photos, plans, drawings etc. If anyone has any information which may help us complete this projejct we would be extreemly gratefull for it. We would of course acknowledge the source.

Regards

Howard Wilson CMRC

• Like 3

What an interesting topic for a layout. There is a book on the Skinningrove Ironworks and its loco fleet, which sod's law says I'm completely unable to lay my hand on. I seem to remember however that it had a trackplan and an OS map extract in it. When I find it I'll post the details (don't hold your breath).

I also seem to recall pics in one of the magazines- try contacting Railway Bylines as the most obvious one.

You haven't stated a scale so I presume it will be OO.....

All the very best

Les

• RMweb Gold

Hi Howard, have you contacted Simon Chapman, The Cleveland Ironstone expert? I have talked to some of your members about this but can't remember if you had spoken to Simon.

Hope we're going to see progress on here.

You haven't stated a scale so I presume it will be OO.....

Les

P4, at least that is what I'm drawing out the track plan as.

Richard

Not a member of CMRC but helping out with Templot

P4, at least that is what I'm drawing out the track plan as.

Richard

Not a member of CMRC but helping out with Templot

That sounds brave- does that mean you have several acres available, or that you are only going to recreate a comparatively small part of it?

All the very best

Les

Edited by Les1952

Guest 40-something

Very interesting project, I'll follow this with interest seeing as my surname is Loftus :-)

• 7 months later...

Have now discovered there are TWO books on the Skinningrove ironworks available- the new one published by the Industrial Railway Society aslo has good contemporary pics of the ZigZag and houses round it, track plans and OS map offprints.

But you knew that already, I supect.

Keep on posting updates.

All the very best

Les

• 2 years later...

Hi All, The project has been on the back burner for some time due to other commitments - but it is now up and running again. We have started on the first board - the one housing Overmans Cottages (Scratch built following photographing, brick counting and measuring) Fortunately we know someone who currently lives in one and he gave us access. We are now starting on the viaduct - the biggest pier of which will be 600mm tall. We have experimented with a wooden former covered in dass with individual blocks scribed on. This is time consuming to save the least and we have had problems with the dass shrinking whilst drying.

Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf plastic embossed product we can use? The scale size of the individual blocks is 10 mm x 5 mm. 

We would either fix it directly to to former or use it to produce a plaster of paris mould to roll the dass onto.

Regards

Howard Wilson CMRC

Yes it is Kilton Viaduct which was filled in in 1912/13. Thanks for the idea - will try it out.,

Another bit of news - we have just received a "Templot" of the two roads leading in to the mine and the start of the fan of pit yard sidings.

So its now down to hand building of turnouts. S**s law says no two are the same!!!

Howard Wilson CMRC

• Like 1

S**s law says no two are the same!!!

LH 9' loose heal 1:6.2

RH 15' loose heal 1:8.25

RH 9' loose heal 1:5.75

RH 9' loose heal 1:4.25

LH 9' loose heal 1:6

Enjoy.

me thinks that the second one ought to be a bit tighter.

Edited by Penrhos1920

• 4 years later...

I wonder how this project is coming on?

I looked in on Skinningrove mining’s museum to find that it is closed until autumn but a very friendly called iirc Peter Appleton told me a lot about the area, including the zig zag railway, a model of which will take prid e of place in the expanded museum. I take it this is the CMRC model?

i imagine you have seen this fabulous animation of the railway? Those steel hoppers look a bit modern to me!

Ian

• Like 4

Once again this project is on the back-burner whilst we wait for the new buildings to be completed and we are sure of what space is available to us.

But, in the meantime we are busy with a new project - A P4 model of the "New Kilns", workshops, and drift entrance at Rosedale East Mines, for the "Land of Iron" Project.

Personally, myself and a colleague are constructing an 8 X 4 Hornby Dublo 3-rail layout to display at our annual show on the 3/4 of August.

Howard Wilson 

Edited by wilsoh