How wide should a platform be?

Hi

I am about to start laying track throught the staion on the layout and a thought i had last night how wide should i make the platform in the middle of the board?

I am going to have a building on the platform (i did look at the Suburban Station Building) but means the platform will have to be quiet wide and the main building is on the other platformon the other side of the track so think i would only need a small waiting shelter there.

Hope someone can offer the knowledge?

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Depends a bit on the era when the station was built. As a rule of thumb, go for six feet minimum clear of obstructions from the edge. Some old ones were narrower, especially at the ends away from entrances. Island platforms would be much wider normally, but some taper off towards the ends depending on the track layout, speeds, usage, etc.

I believe the current allowable minimum from platform edge to any structure is still 2 metres which is about 10% wider than the old six foot rule but existing stations have "grandfather rights". The minimum width for a single face platform is 2.5 metres and the absolute minimum for an island platform 4 metres but anything like a lighting pole or a seat would add a bit to that. For a building on an island platform you'd have to add the width of the building to the four metres. In 4mm scale 2 metres is a fraction more than an inch so a minimum of an inch is probably close enough but those minima would be a narrow platform and most especially on busy stations would be wider. On stations through which trains travel at more than 100MPH platforms have to be wider and things like lighting poles 3 metres from the platform edge.

The 1995 infrastructure requirement for platforms which also goes into things like the design of end of platform ramps, fencing, canopies etc. are available on

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Infrastructure/Railway%20Group%20Standards/GCRT5161%20Iss%201.pdf

and the structure gauging and clearances standard

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_Group_Standards/Infrastructure/Railway%20Group%20Standards/GCRT5204%20Iss%201.pdf

has really useful diagrams of all the relevant dimensions.

• RMweb Gold

Most real platforms were fairly wide but as we tend to shorten them to fit our layouts thinner ones may look better. However if you go below 6ft min from the buildings it tends to look to thin. Trial and error with some card may help.

Don

Winchelsea Halt on the Marshlink line has a pretty narrow platform. Really narrow actually. I certainly wouldn't like to be standing there when a fast train came through.

See here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=50.934127,0.702865&spn=0.001141,0.00327&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=50.934022,0.702893&panoid=ho-Z_b0rXG1Qh-_exRUv3A&cbp=12,241.75,,0,3.17

There needs to be a clear six feet between any building and the platform edge.

Ed

Depends when the layout is set / when the station was built.

Wakefield Kirkgate lost it's island platform buildings due to the platform width wasn't enough. Unfortunately I can't remember the station in any other form than it's current state.

If you want a narrow platform. Try Winchester City at the country end of the station. Ive stood there when a freightliner has come belting down the bank. Id say go with what looks good to your eye as well if it looks to narrow then make it slightly wider? I have 3 island platforms in my terminus layout. All 3 measure at 3.5 inches wide.

Archived