Tram-Trains for Sheffield to Rotherham

Technical question for the drivers on here - is it very noticeable from the cab when you travel over a section that's been lowered under a bridge? I was kind of surprised at the relatively short length of the section being lowered in the previous post.

I guess the line speed limit would have a bearing on how abrupt a change in gradient would be allowed (or vice versa, impose a speed limit if the lowering can't be extended far enough?). 

Technical question for the drivers Track Engineers on here - is it very noticeable from the cab when you travel over a section that's been lowered under a bridge? I was kind of surprised at the relatively short length of the section being lowered in the previous post.

I guess the line speed limit would have a bearing on how abrupt a change in gradient would be allowed (or vice versa, impose a speed limit if the lowering can't be extended far enough?). 

Yes partly - the percentage gradient is relatively fixed and it's the "room" available that determines max linespeed - it's all in the NR track design handbook that I don't have to fingertips at the mo. ISTR - vertical curves can be 2mm / metre change of level up to a maximum of 3.25% gradient for a "hollow" under a bridge - there is a max radius permitted too ............. 900m for new build ??

Others on here will have better current knowledge - I'm getting OOD with PW design

• 2 weeks later...

The Rotherham Advertiser local newspaper dated 19th Jan had an article about the Carillion collapse and this project - Network Rail said it wouldn't affect progress, as they've come to an arrangement with the Official Receiver. Also mentioned an opening date of Summer/Autumn 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick look at the Tinsley Chord on a miserable cold and dank morning. They've added the tram electrification posts, but no wires yet - the rail side of the wiring appears to be complete.

Rotherham side of the M1 Tinsley viaduct, showing the transition between rail and tram electrification masts, and the tip of the points (little white square box in the track, extreme right) where the chord goes between double track and single, the rest of which is hidden by the viaduct:

post-6971-0-55536400-1517653745.jpg

Sheffield side of the viaduct, showing the junction. The track connecting the chord to the tram system is still severed by means of taking out two short lengths of rail on each track:

post-6971-0-98093400-1517653742.jpg

Elsewhere, it seems like slow progress on the electrical feed/substation thing (near Booths scrapyard in Rotherham) - the building has been substantially complete for a while now, and there are foundations for electrical equipment (post 218, previous page of the thread), but plenty still to do.

Quoting myself from yesterday, I spoke too soon

Elsewhere, it seems like slow progress on the electrical feed/substation thing (near Booths scrapyard in Rotherham) - the building has been substantially complete for a while now, and there are foundations for electrical equipment (post 218, previous page of the thread), but plenty still to do.

In fact they have installed some equipment, including transformers (photos from poking camera through fence!):

post-6971-0-67004500-1517752212.jpg

There were two of the smaller transformer cabinets (on the left of the photo above), one with this plate, if that helps any electrical engineers reading this:

post-6971-0-48361100-1517752214.jpg

I couldn't see any overhead supply/pylon routes coming in to the substation, so would the feed from the grid be underground?

Thanks.

All the new signalling for the project is already in place and lit (at least on the Network Rail side*), and the nearest points are also currently operational (Rotherham Central Junction), so local equipment at the substation seems far more likely. 

*see the photo of the red signal protecting the operational freight line from the new Tinsley Chord in this post (3rd photo)

Edited by eastwestdivide

The arrangements for the end of the (overhead) line at Parkgate, 7 Feb 2018, taken "over the fence".

I've numbered the masts from 1 at the far end on a couple of the photos for clarity, as the angle partially blocks one of them from view. There's probably 2-3 tram lengths between the normal stopping point and the buffers, and 3 masts beyond the platform. The very last mast is slightly offset from the line of the track, and the stay cable (anchor mast) isn't the very last one but the second-last (numbered 2 in a couple of the photos).

The "last post":

post-6971-0-13170700-1518018533.jpg

Last mast, buffers and anchor point for mast 2:

post-6971-0-17494600-1518018534.jpg

Wider views:

post-6971-0-07058800-1518018535.jpg

post-6971-0-01146600-1518018536.jpg

post-6971-0-56106100-1518018536.jpg

Posted in response to a query over here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130921-the-last-catenary-mast-tramway-application/

• Like 1

Thanks for the ongoing updates on this project eastwestdivide. Regarding Rotherham Central; So the tram platforms are numbered separately from the main line ones (which makes sense, hopefully avoiding passenger confusion); Will there be separate access to these platforms, or do passengers have to walk along the main line platforms to get to and from them ?

Thanks for the ongoing updates on this project eastwestdivide. Regarding Rotherham Central; So the tram platforms are numbered separately from the main line ones (which makes sense, hopefully avoiding passenger confusion); Will there be separate access to these platforms, or do passengers have to walk along the main line platforms to get to and from them ?

As I understand it, just walk along the existing platforms - there are ramps down.

See also the diagram posted on page 8 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56672-tram-trains-for-sheffield-to-rotherham/?p=2827114

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spring is in the air, so out came the bike for another tour of the tram-train works.

Not much to report at the Rotherham end, still progressing with the platform extensions at Central, and no shelter or anything other than the completed platform itself at Parkgate.

The new substation has gone in near Ickles (where the Old Road crosses the freight line between Rotherham and Tinsley), with a "big grey box" on stilts. I'm pretty sure all that equipment is raised up for flood mitigation - nice to see that "lessons were learned" from the big flooding in 2007, when lineside boxes succumbed. Other equipment is also raised up elsewhere on the section close to the canal and river.

post-6971-0-99025700-1520780163.jpg

post-6971-0-07140500-1520780163.jpg

post-6971-0-58735600-1520780164.jpg

(photos taken by poking camera through fence, with wrist loop carefully attached!)

At the Meadowhall end, the Tinsley chord connecting the tram and Network Rail networks is complete for track, but there are still no overhead wires connecting the two systems. Work to add the wires was scheduled recently and then cancelled as the equipment wasn't ready I was told. This is the only remaining gap in the overhead line.

At Meadowhall South/TInsley tram stop, a big gantry has appeared, not connected with anything yet:

post-6971-0-49695300-1520780165.jpg

And by chance, I managed a photo of new tram-train 399205 on a Purple route service:

post-6971-0-20510200-1520780162.jpg

post-6971-0-96042700-1520780160.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

As a footnote on the flood mitigation, here are two signalling cabinets beside the splitting banner repeaters on the approach to Rotherham Central, first in the aftermath of the 2007 floods, and then as rebuilt afterwards (cropped from a long shot at a different angle, so not the best quality, but you can see the raised platform for them). 

post-6971-0-59936300-1520781142.jpg

post-6971-0-27813400-1520781143.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone wants a ride over the freight route between Woodburn Junction and Rotherham, following the vast majority of the tram-train route, there are diversions that way planned for Northern, TransPennine and Cross Country this Sunday (25/3).

e.g. the trains in this view on realtimetrains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/RMC/2018/03/25/0900?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Article on the Sheffield Star website:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-to-rotherham-tram-train-project-could-finally-be-up-and-running-this-autumn-1-9075291

...Testing of the long-awaited Sheffield to Rotherham tram-train link is finally due to begin this summer with passengers expected to be able to travel on the new line from 'late autumn'...

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

Meanwhile, the single line freight-only section past Tinsley was busy with diversions today, at least one Northern, one XC, and one TransPennine each way every hour, plus others. Here's a Northern working about to join the newly-electrified section at Tinsley North Junction. The sign with the cross on it just to the R of the train is on the chord to the tram network and says "trams only" or words to that effect.

post-6971-0-15451900-1521997272.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress trundles on...

post-6971-0-47311000-1523196449.jpg

A bus shelter has appeared on the new Parkgate-bound tram platform at Rotherham Central. Not much room to stand, but I don't expect many people will be waiting there for a tram to Parkgate when there are very frequent buses. The ramp on the right leads up to the Swinton-bound rail platform.

Couldn't see the facilities on the Sheffield-bound platform, but I hope the shelter will be bigger than the one pictured. 

No shelter yet at the Parkgate platform, but there are bags of cement lying round.

And although there's been a lot installed at the electricity supply point/substation (near Booths scrapyard), judging by the substantial foundations with nothing yet on top of them, there's more equipment to come.

Meanwhile, the summer timetables have finally come back online, and there's nothing for the tram-trains, although there was in the initial load of the timetable earlier in the year (post 221, page 9 of the thread).

Edited by eastwestdivide

• 2 weeks later...

The big switch-on. A VIP with scissors and a pink ribbon? 

No, just some laminated notices cable-tied to the fence at the electrical supply point, saying the line should be considered live at 750V DC from 18 April 2018:

post-6971-0-14403400-1524047133.jpg

post-6971-0-29340400-1524047132.jpg

post-6971-0-41238200-1524047131.jpg

• Like 2

This doesn't mean testing with vehicles is imminent. Close, but assume another fortnight or so of testing the HS equipment in situ, and its controls, locally and remotely, before the first tram will make its appearance on the line :yes:

Nothing's ever been "imminent" with this project! 

As well as a load of electrical equipment already installed, the electrical supply point still has a series of heavy-duty foundations with nothing on top of them - I've no idea what's missing.

Will keep my eyes peeled for more info.

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if the energisation is as much to deter the "copper fairies" from nicking the overhead line. Mind you 750 volts hasn't stopped the scrotes from making off with wire from Midland Metro in the past.

I seem to remember reports of said scrotes also nicking the 25000 volt overhead wires as well.