Tram-Trains for Sheffield to Rotherham

Perhaps the completion of the overhead is waiting until the power supply is ready to be connected, the rea is fairly well know for metal theft.

Jamie

Yes, that and the intermittent nature of the structures - there are no long runs available, as the horizontals are not yet up in assorted places. Would make more sense to do it all in one go anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

​In the latest Rail mag it is stated that the delays are being caused by a wait for bespoke overhead and the DFT asked for it to be made easily converted to 25KV from 700.Also clearance problems are causing some real problems.Overall the project does not seem to have been managed very well with costs spiralling out of control .It will be terrific once completed but did anyone from the DFT go to Germany and see the networks there?

• 4 weeks later...

Progressing in various places...

Many of the electrification masts now have "droppers" or whatever the correct term is:

post-6971-0-28301900-1502546860.jpg

Raising the road bridge at Rotherham Central is nearly done - they've been reconnecting all the services and now there's not much more to do:

post-6971-0-22227000-1502546867.jpg

In the last few days, a couple of diggers and more barriers have appeared for the platform extensions at the Sheffield end of Rotherham Central:

post-6971-0-98107100-1502546864.jpg

And just by chance, I managed a quick photo of one of the new tram-trains on a driver training run at Park Square, this lunchtime (Saturday):

post-6971-0-11318900-1502546858.jpg

Sorry about the posts in the way - I was taken unawares. I did hang around for enough time for it to go to the depot and back in case I could get a better pic, but no sign of it before I got bored.

Three-day closure at Rotherham (19-21 Aug), with various work going on.

Crane in the car park:

post-6971-0-30134700-1503139208.jpg

for installing overhead steelwork across the platforms:

post-6971-0-16339900-1503139207.jpg

post-6971-0-70096100-1503139212.jpg

- See also the "protruding things" from my post 176 above, which did turn out to be mounting points for the steelwork.

Work on the platform extensions:

post-6971-0-39493400-1503139210.jpg

with materials being delivered:

post-6971-0-43739600-1503139211.jpg

General view of the two activities:

post-6971-0-27600200-1503139216.jpg

And a short piece of track being cut between the station and the junction:

post-6971-0-05537200-1503139215.jpg

- Could this have been for signalling/detection purposes just beyond the points there? There was similar work going on close to the signal coming off the freight line towards the junction (where the canal goes under).

Edited by eastwestdivide

IKEA makeover for a tram? I suspect it won't be the installation of sofas (safety implications?), just a new livery inside and out. Unless there's a trolley serving Swedish meatballs.

I'm sure there should be more jokes/puns here, but I've drawn a blank so far.

post-6971-0-82737200-1503161981.jpg

Bork, bork, bork, vhy is my trem-treen pruject oufer buodget und ruonning lete?

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

IKEA makeover for a tram?

I'm sure there should be more jokes/puns here, but I've drawn a blank so far.

attachicon.gifSwedish-chef.jpg

Bork, bork, bork, vhy is my trem-treen pruject oufer buodget und ruonning lete?

Just Muppets in charge of the overall project, perhaps?

• Like 1

A few more from yesterday afternoon...

At Rotherham Parkgate, they've finally added the missing sections to the pointwork forming the crossover and lead into the new tram terminus (arrowed - see earlier post 176 above). Also arrowed, some "bobbin" type thing hanging from a mast:

post-6971-0-67837900-1503230144.jpg

The tram terminus with a couple of signs unveiled, 10mph right by the platform, and "trams only" as you enter the dead-end line:

post-6971-0-61673900-1503230141.jpg

post-6971-0-51520800-1503230142.jpg

And from this morning, when there was not much to be seen other than groups of orange people checking/testing/tinkering at various spots...

Nothing doing on the extended platforms, but the new overhead line supports above the station canopies are in and fixed:

post-6971-0-72265000-1503230427.jpg

And that bit of replaced track (last photo in post 181 above) now complete, with gadget visible on one rail (sorry, I'm not an engineer):

post-6971-0-73300300-1503230149.jpg

(as ever, all photos from the public's side of the boundary)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for those pictures. Things do seem to be coming together.

I think that the bobbin thing may be one of the new style line tensioners. As there's a crossover there at least one run of overhead will need to finish in that area.

I also suspect that the thingy by the rail will be an axle counter for train detection purposes.

Please keep the pictures coming.

Jamie

Lots going on today in the Signal Box on Rotherham Workstation. The axel counters are been tested. The display screens have been updated to show the new lines and platforms as well as new signals. The picture is of our simulator at York ROC but the actual workstation looks the same too.

post-32484-0-64741600-1503246898_thumb.jpgpost-32484-0-21500300-1503246970_thumb.jpg

Interesting that the diagram differentiates between Rotherham Central Station and Rotherham Central Tram Stop, even though passengers will be able to just walk off the end of one and directly onto the other.

Also, I noticed that the signal near the Tinsley Chord end of the project was still prefixed W (Woodburn Jn?) today. Is control going to be transferred do you know?

Edited by eastwestdivide

Control of the tram chord will remain under Woodburn Control. We at York (Rotherham Workstation) will keep the fringe exactly where it is at present. The only new track and points Rotherham Panel gets are as can be seen on the picture at Parkgate. It's going to be fun and games when we start Signalling the tram trains and one fails on the Mainline with a heavy rail train behind it that isn't compatible to assist. Also a cheap job as we won't be able to use the Parkgate siding to turn heavy rail trains back in times of disruption...... Oh well.

• Like 1

Anyone know what the "Class 0,1-9" (if I've read it correctly) above the Trams Only writing means?

I'd assume it's another way of saying "trams only", i.e. trains with reporting numbers of 0xnn, 1xnn, 2xnn etc to 9xnn stop here at the big red X because you've been misrouted.

There's a similar one where the Tinsley Chord meets the Network Rail track.

It does raise the question of what sort of reporting number the tram-trains will have when operating over Network Rail.

I'd assume it's another way of saying "trams only", i.e. trains with reporting numbers of 0xnn, 1xnn, 2xnn etc to 9xnn stop here at the big red X because you've been misrouted.

There's a similar one where the Tinsley Chord meets the Network Rail track.

It does raise the question of what sort of reporting number the tram-trains will have when operating over Network Rail.

What headcodes are used by Tyne & Wear Metro services over Network Rail?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

What headcodes are used by Tyne & Wear Metro services over Network Rail?

Mark Saunders

From a quick look at realtimetrains it seems that they just have a 4 figure numeric code tonight's are in the 2100 series.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

From a quick look at realtimetrains it seems that they just have a 4 figure numeric code tonight's are in the 2100 series.

Jamie

I believe, but will stand corrected, that is 2 India xx - i.e. the I is used to give a digit one 1, and I understand that if the T&W train has a head code of 2I34, then the small digital display on the front of the unit shows 134.

But somebody more knowledgable will be able to say whether I'm right or not!

Rich

Control of the tram chord will remain under Woodburn Control. We at York (Rotherham Workstation) will keep the fringe exactly where it is at present. The only new track and points Rotherham Panel gets are as can be seen on the picture at Parkgate. It's going to be fun and games when we start Signalling the tram trains and one fails on the Mainline with a heavy rail train behind it that isn't compatible to assist. Also a cheap job as we won't be able to use the Parkgate siding to turn heavy rail trains back in times of disruption...... Oh well.

Can the trailing crossover at Parkgate Jc can be used by heavy rail trains in the reverse position as well as normal ? If so, a position light signal on the Down main line opposite the Tram terminus, for Up direction moves, would allow trains to turn back on the Down Main, but there doesn't appear to be such a signal provided.

Can the trailing crossover at Parkgate Jc can be used by heavy rail trains in the reverse position as well as normal ? If so, a position light signal on the Down main line opposite the Tram terminus, for Up direction moves, would allow trains to turn back on the Down Main, but there doesn't appear to be such a signal provided.

None that I can see on the ground. I'd have thought it would be of limited use anyway, with Aldwarke/Thrybergh junctions just down the line. Standard practice at the slightest disruption or difficulty seems to be buses for Rotherham C anyway.

Has anyone actually thought about the future. eg electrification of railway, and probable ban on diesel vehicles on roads(eg buses)?

Yes, the tram-trains can use 25kV and the overhead line on the Network Rail section is designed to be easily converted to that voltage if it ever extends to Rotherham (which may possibly happen as part of the HS2 project).