J M Design some Irish Models in the Pipeline

John M

Some models in the pipeline CIE “Tin Vans†and MGWR Meat Van these models were inspired by one of Francis Shuttleworth’s photographs of seemingly ancient and modern rolling stock in Sligo Station in the late 1950s.

While kits and rtr models are available of the Bredin Full Brake, Dutch and BR Vans, no one has produced models of the once ubiquitous Tin Vans that ran in most passenger trains between the Mid 50 and late 60s with some remaining in service into the 1980s.

Development work started on the Heating & Luggage Van in 2011 the original intention was to combine 3D Printing technology with brass overlays for quality of finish and ease of assembly, however to keep cost within reasonable limits, the models have morphed to mainly etched brass construction with combination of 3D and cast parts.

Recently I have finalised the design for the Heating Van and assembled the test etches for the Hooded Van and a MGWR Meat van.

The Heating Van was originally designed with 3D printed Buffers, fuel tanks, gangways, roof and battery boxes, but I have revised the design to include etched fuel tans, gangways and battery boxes.

All models feature fold up assembly with tab and slot construction to simplify assembly, I have yet to finalise the detail parts such as axleboxes, springs, buffers.

The kits will be supplied with wheelsets and axles suitable for OO or 21mm Gauge and the tin vans have a coupling mount for Kadee 30 Series Couples.

At this stage I am tryng to gauge whether there is sufficient interest to supply the kits with bespoke castings

or use near equivalent parts from some of the British Suppliers like MJT or Comet.

post-7338-0-41466600-1337494153_thumb.jpg

Hooded Van Test Build.

I have attempted to capture the distinctive Inchacore style buffer beam, Bulleid Triangulated solebars, recessed doorways and barred windows.

post-7338-0-82785900-1337494202_thumb.jpgMGWR Meat Van

Nearly a permanent fixture on Midland Section Passenger and Mail Trains though ancient looking these vans lasted into the late 1950s

post-7338-0-15894500-1337494247_thumb.jpgAncient and Modern

At this stage I expect to release the Tin Vans in September with the MGWR Van to follow in December.

I have to finalsie the prices but expect the Luggage Van to be around £40 the Heating Van around £50 for ease of asssembly I will probably supply the Heating with 3D printed tanks.

Also in the pipe line 22'6" Container Flat the CAD drawings are well advanced I would expect to have the Test Etches for assembly in July/August.

John

First seen this news in New Irish Lines,the tin van certainly looks the part and is an addition that has been long overdue to the Irish scene.I hope the time and effort you are putting into this project are fully rewarded with good sales.I would certainly be interested in one,so an update on progress would be greatly appreciated.Best wishes with the project.

Andy

John,

Your tin van looks wonderful! I am looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Re. fittings, I suggest that you might find suitable castings from one of the UK parts suppliers and recommend these to buyers of your kits. This avoids the extra financial exposure for such a small market. Unless you get castings made in NZ, it would be crazy to export them and subsequently import them again into Ireland/the UK with import tax at both ends. It also gives the builder the choice e.g. of simpler cast buffers or more expensive turned brass sprung jobs, assuming a UK analogue is available.

Very good that you have designed the kit for 21mm gauge. Presumably the wheels can simply be positioned at 16.5 or 21mm on the same axles.

You might also consider offering photocopies of good reference photographs, at a price, since you will have already done the research thoroughly.

This is a great initiative!

• 1 year later...

John

Any news on the Tin Vans?

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reminder things are starting to move again and the vans should be available late Autumn.

I have revised the design of the roof of the tin vans and hope to do the final test build in August before releasing the model.

post-7338-0-18240800-1370508084.jpg

post-7338-0-49207900-1370508138.jpg

The heating and luggage van versions should be available at the same time with the MGWR van possibly earlier.

Design work is well advanced on a kit for a GSR/CIE 650 Class 2-4-0 twhich will be available with the option of a simplified ready assembled chassis for OO or a chassis suitable for springing or compensation for 21mm gauge.

The kit will be in etched brass with a nickle silver chassis with castings from the SSM range.

post-7338-0-26186500-1370508396_thumb.jpg

I would hope to post photos of the test build of this loco in August with possible release in January.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have completed the final test builds of the Heating Van and Luggage Brake and I am planning to release the models in kit form during October 2013 at £55. To re-cap the kits will be supplied with OO gauge RP25 wheelsets on 28mm axles allowing easy conversion to 21mm gauge. No couplers are supplied but the kits include a mounting pad for Kadee No5 couplers. The model combines etched brass assembly with fold-up and slot and tab assembly with whitemetal and resin detail parts. Please send me a PM if interested in reserving one of the initial batch of kits.

post-7338-0-10705000-1377405026_thumb.jpg

Bulleid Heating Van (Hot water bottle)

post-7338-0-93265800-1377405153_thumb.jpg

Heating Van view showing roof

post-7338-0-71141800-1377405218_thumb.jpg

Luggage broadside view

post-7338-0-97743400-1377405279_thumb.jpg

Luggage 3/4 view

• 1 month later...
Heating & Hooded Vans finally ready for release & 650 Class test build.

I am now taking orders for both the Heating & Luggage (hot water bottle) and Hooded van (Luggage Van), please send me a PM if interested. I will be in touch with anyone who has already placed and order or expressed an interest.

Kits are designed for OO or 21mm gauge and are supplied with RP25 profile OO Gauge wheelset compatible with Hornby, Bachmann, most modern track systems. The vans are priced at £55 with postage & packing to be confirmed.
The body work is brass with a simple slot and tab & fold up assembly suitable for gluing, though I strongly recommend solder for securing the sides to the ends and assembling the corridor connections (gangways).

The whitemetal detail castings include authentic CIE Bredin Pattern buffers, vacuum cylinders, vacuum and steam heating pipes all courtesy of SSM together with a representation of the distinctive spring/damper roller bearing axlebox arrangement used with these wagons, vans.

The first batch of kits to fill existing enquiries/orders should be available Mid-November with a second batch February 2013.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9742&d=13823

Hooded Van

attachment.php?attachmentid=9743&d=13823

Tin Van

650 Class Preview

Some photos of the build of the study models for the ex-MGWR 2-4-0,  the boiler fittings are just placed in position for general effect, some modifications are needed before the kit is released.

The model is assembled in OO with Romford wheels resulting in the wheels being inside the boiler/firebox shell.
attachment.php?attachmentid=9582&d=13816
650 Class late MGWR early GSR condition, superheater round top boiler, round canopy cab, tender coal rails.

These locos were built in the 1890s with the famous Attock "Flyaway cab" and saturated boilers, with a very smooth finish with little visible riveting. The locos were superheated in late MGWR early GSR days receiving a GNR canopy style cab and later modifications by GSR and CIE, including Inchacore style cab, oiling holes in the valence/crankpin splasher and riveted smokeboxes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9583&d=13816
650 Class late GSR condition superheated round top boiler, Inchacore cab with round spectacle plates.

The GSR replaced the canopy and remaining "Flyaway" cabs with what was basically a standard Inchacore pattern and replaced the cast iron chimneys with a standard Inchacore "built up" variety.

Rivet detail on the loco is formed mainly by embossing as opposed to the use of half etched overlays, the boiler is designed with half etched recesses to accept boiler bands.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9584&d=13816
Close up of the loco showing cab and smokebox riveting.

At this stage its difficult to predict the probable cost or release date, but I would expect Summer/Autumn 2014.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

650 Class Preview

Some photos of the build of the study models for the ex-MGWR 2-4-0,  the boiler fittings are just placed in position for general effect, some modifications are needed before the kit is released.

The model is assembled in OO with Romford wheels resulting in the wheels being inside the boiler/firebox shell.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9582&d=13816

650 Class late MGWR early GSR condition, superheater round top boiler, round canopy cab, tender coal rails.

These locos were built in the 1890s with the famous Attock "Flyaway cab" and saturated boilers, with a very smooth finish with little visible riveting. The locos were superheated in late MGWR early GSR days receiving a GNR canopy style cab and later modifications by GSR and CIE, including Inchacore style cab, oiling holes in the valence/crankpin splasher and riveted smokeboxes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9583&d=13816

650 Class late GSR condition superheated round top boiler, Inchacore cab with round spectacle plates.

The GSR replaced the canopy and remaining "Flyaway" cabs with what was basically a standard Inchacore pattern and replaced the cast iron chimneys with a standard Inchacore "built up" variety.

Rivet detail on the loco is formed mainly by embossing as opposed to the use of half etched overlays, the boiler is designed with half etched recesses to accept boiler bands.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9584&d=13816

Close up of the loco showing cab and smokebox riveting.

After 3 years the MGWR 2-4-0 kit is a step nearer to release with Jeremy Suter completing the pattern-making for the boiler fittings and detail castings. Before release I need to source a suitable motor and a re-design of the smokebox for customers that do not have access to a riveting tool or a rolling mill, plus the small matter of non-working valve gear.

I am accepting expressions of interest in the kit for release in Oct-Nov 2017 and should be in a position to confirm cost and accept orders from June 2017.

post-7338-0-71253500-1489819202_thumb.jpg

post-7338-0-38468200-1489819222_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived