What will be your preferred coach for nostalgic travel in 40 years time?

My neighbours have just returned from holiday and spent a fare amount of time travelling around Scotland in Mk1s with steam haulage. Now my preferred coach for a railtour or preserved railway would be something a bit older, say a pre-grouping 4 or 6 wheeler or a GWR toplight.

Given that most of us probably would prefer to travel in something that evokes youthful nostalgia what would you like to be travelling in on a railtour in 40 years time? Will the youth of today be wanting Pacers and Sprinters?

Guest Natalie Graham

I hate to think what rail travel will have to be like in 40 years time to make people nostalgic for pacers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any of Gresley's corridor coaches with Gresley bogies. But it must be clean and freshly painted/varnished inside.

I always found them much more comfortable than Mk1s when I travelled by train to school.

David

• Like 2

In 40 years time, I'm sure some pacers/sprinters etc will have been preserved but I doubt there will be a large number of people clamouring to get a ride in them!

I'd happily sit in any steam era coach as long as it has a polished wood interior. Even a fair few preserved Mk1s are remarkably pleasant on the inside. Good lighting is an issue I feel though, the Bluebell's Maunsell open carriage is lovely on the outside but when I last travelled in it it was particularly dingy.

Teak on the outside is fantastic too - who could resist a mainline railtour consisting of a rake of immaculate Gresleys behind one of his marvellous locomotives?

Well, being a biased, I would like to travel in a Super Saloon, height of

luxury and opulence from the GWR. Also, nice and light with those big

windows. preferably behind a Castle.

Jeff

• Like 3

Guest Natalie Graham

Compartment coaches are what I miss, especially the LMS 'Period II' ones with the double sliding doors into the corridor. Anything where the seats match up with the windows has to be better than present day coaching stock though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, being a biased, I would like to travel in a Super Saloon, height of

luxury and opulence from the GWR. Also, nice and light with those big

windows. preferably behind a Castle.

Jeff

In one of my jobs my office chair was a seat which had been removed from one of those!

• Like 1

I think for me , a mk1 sk , those nice squashy high backed seats , wood panelling and old world feeling, the reading lights glowing away ,[if the bulbs were still fitted] , i remember travelling up to Waterloo from Salisbury quite late at night in absolutely foul wet weather , hardly anyone else on the train , the compartment felt so cosy and comfortable , mind you i had other trips in unheated filthy mk1 s which were not so nice !!!

regards Paul.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

For me personally, a Mk2 BFK. The privacy of a compartment, the big, comfy seat and the ring of the B4 wheelsets would be absolute paradise in my opinion.

Dave.

A nice comfortable Mk1 compartment in an unrefurbished 309 EMU would be a nice nostalgia trip, with all the quirky Mk1 fittings.

Something a bit more realistic though would be a ride in a Mk2 DBSO, always a nice and uncrowded ride because most people did not realise there was passenger accommodation in there!

I think for me , a mk1 sk , those nice squashy high backed seats , wood panelling and old world feeling, the reading lights glowing away ,[if the bulbs were still fitted] , i remember travelling up to Waterloo from Salisbury quite late at night in absolutely foul wet weather , hardly anyone else on the train , the compartment felt so cosy and comfortable , mind you i had other trips in unheated filthy mk1 s which were not so nice !!!

regards Paul.

Same here - preferably the one I had from Ipswich to Norwich one Sunday evening in July 1979. Freshly overhauled, mint condition and riding on Commonwealth bogies. The ride was silky smooth - best I've ever had on any carriage

STEVE

• Like 1

A Mk3 FO. Doubtless some will still be around, though not sure if I'll be.....

It would have to be a M3A/B FO with IC80 seats not a HST first open which will have been refurbished with some uncomfotable, but trendy, seat.

Mk1 SK with steam leaking form under the seat - reminds me of the first time I went past Toton on a train - that line of 20's seemed to go on forever...........

or

Mk2a with all the windows open listening to the 50 in front blasting away from all the station stops along the WOE.

• Like 1

I think people will be nostalgic for Pacers - they're the last trains in mass service in the UK where you can get a quality of ride that the Victorian 3rd class passenger would have experienced, and those 4- and 6-wheel coaches do quite well in various railways vintage weekends ... ;-)

• RMweb Gold

I remember what a treat it used to be when a 2 SAP turned up on the shepperton branch when I was a kid. The compartments and seats were so much more comfy than the SUBs or EPBs, plus the novelty value!

Having just had my 50th Birthday treat of a 6 course meal in Pullman Barbara on the KESR Wealden Pullman, I think I will say any "proper" pullman carriage, preferably with food and drink brought to my seat (given that i will be 90 by then!!!)

Ac few years ago I spent a week in the camping coach at Goathland. That has to be the ultimate coach in which to do a rail tour, preferably an 8 to 10 day tour around Britain, accompanied by good friends with food and drink brought to the sofa. Failing that, a 1st generation DMU in which you could see through the drivers cab.