What will be your preferred coach for nostalgic travel in 40 years time?

South African Railways convertible sleeper/day coach just behind the Garratt on the climb from Nelspruit up to Waterval Boven. Can't do that now, never mind in 40 years, but great experience if you can handle the cinders in the corridor

• RMweb Premium

A first class compartment of one of the restored / rebuilt / by then new build Lynton & Barnstaple carriages, all the way from Barnstaple to Lynton and back.

With frequent loo stops by then, I should think.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Hmm, what coach would I like my spirit to be haunting in 40 years time... Any main line steam hauled one!

So that will be an ex Caledonian sleeper Mk5 day coach hauled by Flying Scotsman after its 10th rebuild from the firemans shovel upwards.  Scotsman will also have a pantograph on the tender and an electric grill under the boiler.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So that will be an ex Caledonian sleeper Mk5 day coach hauled by Flying Scotsman after its 10th rebuild from the firemans shovel upwards.  Scotsman will also have a pantograph on the tender and an electric grill under the boiler.

I'd be happy enough with whatever is still running in 2060, even Skiving Flotsam, so long as there is still some steam activity.

• RMweb Gold

A Mk1 FK that reminds me of trips Euston to Liverpool as a child in the early 70s... big, bouncy, horse hair stuffed moquette seats, but only a very small area for tea cups.

Or a loco hauled Mk3 FO next to the restaurant car. I'm not sure we've improved upon the early  Mk3 FO with orange seats.