Stroudley Terrier

Appealing for help from Stroudley Terrier fans. Doing a repaint on this model and post-150-0-90814700-1337717653_thumb.jpgnot knowing squat about this prototype, is this an A1 or A1X.

Also would one have ever run in unlined BR black and what number would be suitralbe please.

Hoping someone can help out. Ken

post-150-0-90814700-1337717653_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the messed up post (I do not seem to be able to edit or delete it for some reason)

I am asking for help to identify whether it's an A1 or an A1X. Also whether it would have ever run in BR unlined black, if so what would be a suitable number please.. Regards Ken

post-150-0-36941200-1337718317_thumb.jpg

It's an A1. The A1X was rebuilt with super heating and thus had (has) an extended smokebox. There are other differences, but only a couple made it to BR - Watton (now in Canada) which was a shunter at Lancing and Boxhill (now in the NRM) which was a shunter at Brighton until 1947. More details and pictures on the SEMG webpages - http://www.semgonlin...eam/a1x_01.html - neither carried BR lined black and only Waddon ever ran in BR ownership as 680S.

Adam

Yes,its an A1,the smokebox wingplates and sandbox on the leading splasher are the main indications of this.Also,most had lost their condensing pipes by Southern days,almost certainly all by BR days.As the model stands,it could represent Waddon as Adam notes above, although the condensing pipes were retro-fitted for preservation.Another option is 74 Shadwell as running on the Edge Hill Light Railway as their No.2 from 1920 onwards.By the look of the pictures,the livery was lined black,but the lining would have faded in the conditions they endured pretty quickly.If you want any more details,let me know and I'll dig out my books.You'll need to do something about that roof too!

Jamie

Thank you for your excellent replies guys.

As I have given her a spray over in black and note I would have to source name transfers, is there anything I could do to her as she stands in this photo. (I am preparing her for sale on ebay)

Thanks, Ken

post-150-0-17129600-1337757330_thumb.jpg

Ken

Having had a further look,there's no one engine which fits the model exactly(Terriers were notoriously non-standard after 1901) although this is the nearest I could find.I was wrong about the livery,in fact they still carried LBSC Umber,but it would have been so faded it could be represented by a browny-grey weathering over the black coat.Lettering was just plain white block capitals.Couple of picture links attached.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/railart/bfreemanart2.jpg

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/ehlr/ehlr8.jpg

Is the model 7mm scale?The other option is to sell it undecorated and let the buyer finish it to their particular colour scheme.There were several which carried lined black of various types over the years.

Jamie

Jamie. Many thanks for the photos. Yes, it is 7mm. I am leaning towards the heavy weathering as in the 2nd photo. I will chew it over for a couple of days. Kindest regards, Ken

It's perhaps worth pointing out that the original bunkers were rather small (though apparently adequate for a day's running on the London suburban services for which they were intended, and aided by Stroudley's careful tuition of drivers and firemen in economic running); those on the Isle of Wight were famously equipped with larger bunkers that went 'all the way back' while most others had substantial pieces added on top of the original bunker - as does your model; dates of the changes vary.....

These lovely locos were indeed almost completely non-standard by the end; careful checking with a photo will turn up almost any combination of features, making the distinction between A1 and A1X the least of your worries!

Archived