Overheating shed

• RMweb Gold

, but I'm considering shutters to provide extra sun blocking and security.

Rob

To stop it getting warm between the glass and curtains you could try something as simple as a bit of 6mm ply on the outside held with a couple of toggles, this would also cut down on excessive UV rays possibly damaging scenery. not quite so secure but you could remove them easily for natural light when in there.

I'll echo what everyone else has said about insulation.

I have 2" Foil backed styrene around all the walls and the roof, but leaving a small gap between the styrene and the actual roof of the shed, then cladded with 1/2 inch chipboard.

I have a 16' x 9' that is south facing, so gets the sun most of the day, but with the insulation and cladding, it keeps the temp down to an acceptable level.

However, I do also have a portable ACU, that is vented to a mesh grill. This has really come into its own this week, and I can't begin to tell you how pleasurable it is to be modelling in the shed with a cool beer and the temp down to 16 degrees!

So, I would advocate spending as much as you possibly can on an aircon unit/ dehumidifier - you will reap the benefits, believe me.

regards

Andy

• RMweb Gold

For insulation of my 'Shed' I have been recommended to use http://www.secondsan...k/Products.html

I'm still at the 'Cladding' stage, then the 'roof' and hopefully start work on the inside come the autumn!

Be wary, they never have any when we contact them but can supply new and it is always a slightly thicker size than you want, it has always worked out cheaper to get a quote from a local travis perkins/jewson/buildstore etc.

In the last 12 months I have used about 70+ sheets of this material.

I have insulated my shed between the battons on the wall, and I am insulating the roof by creating a ceiling and filling above with rock wool. (my shed has higher than normal eaves). I have internal Shutters (opening) but the main source of heat is the roof until the ceiling is complete.

My slightly unusual addition is an air tower. If you look at the centre of a traditional stables they often had what looked like a mini clock tower (some times without clock) but with vents in. Any excess heat rises and goes out through there and a breeze from any direction helps. Inside the shed is a sliding shutter which closes off the vent totally I'll be adding a green house window opener to it later.

The advantage of an air town is it's an Airconditioner without needing power. In some Arab countries this was how their houses kept cool (er) until the advent of power A/Cs

The Q

• RMweb Premium

To stop it getting warm between the glass and curtains you could try something as simple as a bit of 6mm ply on the outside held with a couple of toggles, this would also cut down on excessive UV rays possibly damaging scenery. not quite so secure but you could remove them easily for natural light when in there.

Hi Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. I did reply but got the "magic green lights" :swoon:

When I came back to the page after some minutes, it was still on the same place, but said "saving details" but my browser refresh symbol had stopped?? :scratchhead:

It didn't post.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I used 50mm polystyrene for the roof of my workshop. It's just stuck on with solvent free gripfill and made a huge difference over this winter when getting up to temp with the heater. This will be it's first summer so have yet to see how it copes, but when I went in earlier this evening it was nice and cool.

Hi Guys

Well I had planned this weekend to insulate the shed roof, it having cooled down considerably. However imagine my horror when I boobed down to the shed half an hour ago to find the roof leaking like a sieve. :scratchhead:

I can only assume that the recent prolonged hot weather has lifted the roof felt and broken the seal between the joints. As you can imagine I wasn't too happy by this state of affairs. Nothing seems to have been damaged and all should dry out.

I have temporarily stretched some plastic sheeting (the type sold as dust sheets for decorating) over the roof as a temperoary measure and wieghed it down with some house bricks. Once the rain stops and things are dry I am going to have to retar the joints - hopefully it won't need refelting - aaaargh more expense I can ill afford.

• RMweb Gold

Rovex you are going to have to spend a few pounds on some Hi performance torch on felt, (15 year life) just "re-tarring" the joints won't buy you much time and you will shortly be back to square one.

Something like this would do, although you can get better for less.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/torch-on-capsheet/invt/243809/

Is your existing felt nailed on ? and how many layers does it have ?

There should be a minimum of 2 layers, the bottom layer is nailed to the roof so that it "floats" with the second top layer stuck to it, there should be a minimum of 75-100mm overlap at all horizontal joints, and 150mm to Vertical joints.

Just think of it as 2 locomotives is the shed roof watertight.

May want to have a look at this from Nigel Burkins Blog. I am thinking of using this myself as part of the insulation for my shed. Its a strange magical liquid call Nansulate. Further up the blog there is another entry abouts its performance in the winter.

http://nigelburkin.w...ss.com/page/17/

Nigel does have a blog entry about its performance later on as he also had ground source heat pump installed so talked about the combination of the 2 and the savings he had made.

His follow up is here - http://nigelburkin.w...ss.com/page/10/

Key for me is that this is a personal view rather than the companies view. I am still digging around the interwebby thing to find more data.

Googling on Nansulate also brings up this..http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/insulating-paint-merchants-dupe-gullible-homeowners :dontknow:

An interesting thread as a decent sized garden building (workshop) is on the to-do list...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. As you say useful reading. With a few other things I have read I think my comment of strange magical liquid seems the best guide so will probably avoid this and look at something more traditional.

• RMweb Gold

Just to quickly update on my previous post, during the hot spell the other week (that looks like it might have been summer...), the temps in the shed topped out at 21.5degs whilst my conservatory was hitting mid 30's and my greenhouse next to the shed hit 45!! The insulation is working like a charm (and still stuck to the roof!).

Archived