C31 BR Experimental Blue.

A1A A1A

The Brush Type 2 was the first British Mainline diesel locomotive to be produced by Tri-ang in TT Gauge 1959,

and in 00/H0 1962.

Listed below are all the known 00/H0 models produced by Margate from 1962 to 1976/77.

1962, D5578 R357 Brush Type 2 in Experimental Blue livery with Duck Egg Blue window surround.

Also, the only BR Blue diesel not to have the yellow warning panel painted below the cab.

1963, D5572 R357 Brush Type 2 in Matt Brunswick Green with two light grey body stripes.

1963? D5578 R357 Brush Type 2 in Matt Brunswick Green with two light grey body stripes

1965, D5578 R357B in Experimental Blue livery with two white body stripes and white roof.

1965? D5572 in Experimental Blue livery with two white body stripes but with grey roof instead.

I have only seen one model in this livery with the number D5572 and I have it in my collection.

Other than that, I don't have any info on this rare Tri-ang version.

To the best of my knowledge, no Brush Type 2 ever carried this livery in real life, though I'm open to correction.

The Triang Hornby Era

Modification made to the bodyside by the removal of one of the bodyside steps leading to the roof filler.

1966, D5572 R357G Brush Type 2 Matt Brunswick Green with two light grey body stripes.

1967 D5572 Electric Blue, full yellow warning cab panels.

1968 D5572 Rail Blue, full yellow warning cab panels.

The Hornby era

Most, if not all locomotives in the Hornby Railways range have been coated with Gloss varnish.

1972 D5572 Gloss Brunswick Green. This was the final UK version and lasted in production until 1976/77.

Later models have plastic buffers fitted instead of brass buffers.

1974 42202 R307 NSWR livery for the Australian market, and not released for sale to the UK market.

There was another version of the Brush Type 2 planned, but not released. The Ringfield version using the

Class 47 Ringfield motor and bogie at the No2 end with the Class 31 bogie at the No1 end. I have only

seen a photo of it in one of the Hornby Railways catalogues.

There was also a batch of the first release in experimental blue numbered D5572. I think it possible that Triang realised they had got the running number incorrect for this version as they re-used it on the green version.

post-4697-0-12849800-1389526502.jpg

Thanks Brush Veteran, that's one I didn't know about.

The D5578 heat numbering tool may well have been worn out or broke and sent for repair.

So instead of stopping the production of the blue model, they used the D5572 heat numbering tool instead.

AFAIK; 4,000 models of the 1962 blue version were produced, so it's also possible that your one was the last of the batch to be produced.

The Brush Type 2 was the first British Mainline diesel locomotive to be produced by Tri-ang in TT Gauge 1959,

and in 00/H0 1962.

Listed below are all the known 00/H0 models produced by Margate from 1962 to 1976/77.

1962, D5578 R357 Brush Type 2 in Experimental Blue livery with Duck Egg Blue window surround.

Also, the only BR Blue diesel not to have the yellow warning panel painted below the cab.

1963, D5572 R357 Brush Type 2 in Matt Brunswick Green with two light grey body stripes.

1963? D5578 R357 Brush Type 2 in Matt Brunswick Green with two light grey body stripes

1965, D5578 R357B in Experimental Blue livery with two white body stripes and white roof.

1965? D5572 in Experimental Blue livery with two white body stripes but with grey roof instead.

I have only seen one model in this livery with the number D5572 and I have it in my collection.

Other than that, I don't have any info on this rare Tri-ang version.

To the best of my knowledge, no Brush Type 2 ever carried this livery in real life, though I'm open to correction.

The Triang Hornby Era

Modification made to the bodyside by the removal of one of the bodyside steps leading to the roof filler.

1966, D5572 R357G Brush Type 2 Matt Brunswick Green with two light grey body stripes.

1967 D5572 Electric Blue, full yellow warning cab panels.

1968 D5572 Rail Blue, full yellow warning cab panels.

The Hornby era

Most, if not all locomotives in the Hornby Railways range have been coated with Gloss varnish.

1972 D5572 Gloss Brunswick Green. This was the final UK version and lasted in production until 1976/77.

Later models have plastic buffers fitted instead of brass buffers.

1974 42202 R307 NSWR livery for the Australian market, and not released for sale to the UK market.

There was another version of the Brush Type 2 planned, but not released. The Ringfield version using the

Class 47 Ringfield motor and bogie at the No2 end with the Class 31 bogie at the No1 end. I have only

seen a photo of it in one of the Hornby Railways catalogues.

The only addenda I have for this list is that the first green ones made after the blue period were not gloss varnished (I have one). It is very distinct from the pre1967 green matt version, it has the later suppressor fitted and has the trailing bogie modfied for the extra pickups although these are not fitted. I believe the change back to green happened during 1971 as the 1972 catalogue (which would have been in the shops around December 1971) already illustrates it. That leads to the other change which is from around 1973 the extra pickups were fitted to the trailing bogie. The final batches were made in 1976 and it does not feature in the 1977 production schedule.

The Australian (NSWGR) version is not particularly rare here and crops up quite regularly at local swap meets. It did seem to me to be a strange decision to market this. 

If you could assist me in obtaining a reasonably priced example I would be very grateful   :no:

Guest spet0114

The only addenda I have for this list is that the first green ones made after the blue period were not gloss varnished (I have one). It is very distinct from the pre1967 green matt version, it has the later suppressor fitted and has the trailing bogie modfied for the extra pickups although these are not fitted. I believe the change back to green happened during 1971 as the 1972 catalogue (which would have been in the shops around December 1971) already illustrates it. That leads to the other change which is from around 1973 the extra pickups were fitted to the trailing bogie. The final batches were made in 1976 and it does not feature in the 1977 production schedule.

HI Andyman,

This means there are three variants of the post-71 green loco - i.e. matt + no contacts, gloss + no contacts and gloss + contacts. If we add K9-70's comment about the plastic buffers on the last batch(es), we're up to four.

The gloss + contacts version is commonplace, the gloss + no contacts is fairly rare (I have one, I believe you do too  - are there any others out there?). I know you've mentioned that you've got a matt + no conctacts version - can we have some photos please?  :)

Cheers

Adrian

Guest spet0114

If you could assist me in obtaining a reasonably priced example I would be very grateful   :no:

Please can I join this queue too? :)

HI Andyman,

This means there are three variants of the post-71 green loco - i.e. matt + no contacts, gloss + no contacts and gloss + contacts. If we add K9-70's comment about the plastic buffers on the last batch(es), we're up to four.

The gloss + contacts version is commonplace, the gloss + no contacts is fairly rare (I have one, I believe you do too  - are there any others out there?). I know you've mentioned that you've got a matt + no conctacts version - can we have some photos please?  :)

Cheers

Adrian

I did have gloss/no contacts too but sold that one. I have held on to the matt (well, unvarnished) no contacts version, I'll try and dig it out for photos. The ones I have had were definitely never fitted with contacts, there was certainly a tooling mod to the plastic mouldings in advance of the full change to specification.   

OK, here goes.....

I'e used a shot with flash which hopefully emphasises that this model isn't gloss varnished. The second shot shows the holes in the trailing bogie. The third shot is the instruction sheet dated 27 October 1971 and on which the original owner helpfully wrote 'green brush diesel', thus confirming that the change back from blue to green took place during 1971.

post-549-0-15396500-1389827626_thumb.jpg

post-549-0-41992900-1389827638_thumb.jpg

post-549-0-97902700-1389827661_thumb.jpg

Guest spet0114

Excellent photos!

This looks the same (apart from the finish) as my gloss/no contacts one (dated 06/11/72). 

Note that the trailing bogie has the Tri-ang style split-axle wheelsets, rather than the later Hornby type with metal axles (which you'd need if you were fitting contacts!). Note also that the two little ridges that keep the contacts from rotating are absent here, though the holes for the rivets that mount them are present. Based on this, I think we can dismiss the idea that contacts were originally present and then fell off!! :)

Cheers!

Adrian

Ps. In passing, I see there's another of the early unlined blue ones marked D5572 on eBay at the moment. Looks like this variant is also becoming reasonably well established - someone call Pat Hammond! :)  £60 is a bit rich for my tastes though! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tri-ang-R357-blue-Type-2-Brush-diesel-loco-OO-gauge-/321297533723?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4aced34b1b

I wasn't suggesting that the contacts had fallen off in all cases (I have one with just the holes myself), just that they are prone to falling off. This leaves the rivets of course.

Tri-ang (/Hornby) were never much worried about using the wrong numbering tools.

Guest spet0114

I wasn't suggesting that the contacts had fallen off in all cases (I have one with just the holes myself)...

Ah, that's interesting. Is yours matt or glossy? If the latter, did you buy Andyman's or is this a third one? Finally, does it still have it's instructions and therefore a date?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting quite intrigued.... :)

Cheers

Adrian

Ah, that's interesting. Is yours matt or glossy? If the latter, did you buy Andyman's or is this a third one? Finally, does it still have it's instructions and therefore a date?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm getting quite intrigued.... :)

Cheers

Adrian

Good questions!

All mine were picked up at toy fairs*, without box or instructions (and not all complete). and I'll have to look them out (probably won't be able to find all of them!) From what I remember, all the green locos, I have are matt. It is possible, of course for body swapping to have taken place. (For example, my blue one has donated her works to a green one - I was going to repaint her green, but acquired another body - Rail blue is not my favourite livery!)

* The latest one came without bogies - I have acquired a loose trailing bogie (complete with broken off piece of green floor) and an (Airfix) power bogie. Hopefully I can fit them all together.

BTW I did also photograph the end of the box for the above pictured A1A. For whatever reason I find the whole 1970-73 period for Triang-Hornby very interesting at it covers the collapse of Rovex-Triang under Lines Brothers ownership, the brief existence of the Margate facility under the receivers as 'Pocketmoney Toys Ltd' and the creation of Rovex Ltd by the new owners Dunbee-Combex-Marx. This was in parallel with the shift from the range as a very broad BR based one to more of a focus on brightly coloured pre-nationalisation locos, glossy finishes and bright platework for toyshop appeal. During this period, all sorts of odd boxes were used for packing and some fairly short run items escaped the factory.

post-549-0-73708700-1389970824_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Archived