The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Yes that looks better Rob the structures are settling back into the scene really nicely now.

Progress is being made unlike myself who constantly starts then jumps to another project and fails to complete that too but as I now have 3 part built projects on our dinning room table plus various plans for my next mini-micro layout and a wife who wants the table back. i shall have to extract my digit and get a move on.

You wouldn't think I had a 20ft x 12ft shed fully wired, insulated, heated with a work bench and full of tools and................ yes you've guessed it a 2/3 built layout. 

Best

Hi Barnaby,

Thanks for that, I am well pleased with progress so far. I always think that one of the advantages of limited space and micro layouts is that your options are restricted. This means that you can plan the construction easily with a definite end to the project. If you don't like the result you can move on, which I have done several times. I know from my experience that if I had a lot of space I wouldn't know what to do with it so I can sympathise with your problem but if we enjoy what we are doing what does it matter if we don't finish, if we do we will only have to start again when the next great idea for a layout jumps into the head.

Regards Rob

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I thought a brief update would be appropriate as it has been a while since my last post. The news is that there isn't much concrete news! Since the last update life has tended to get in the way of modelling, half term, decorating and a spell of poor health. However stepping back from the modelling for a while is always good, I find, as it gives you an opportunity to look afresh at the model so far. The good news is that coming back fresh to the Wharf has ensured I am still more than happy with progress and it has given me new energy to get on.

The other thing it does is give time to assess what you are doing generally and I have given a fair bit of thought to Dons comment re atmosphere, a comment much appreciated, and after considerable thought I have come to the conclusion that I haven't got a clue what gives a model atmosphere, I'm just happy that others may think that the Wharf has it, whatever it is.

I have also been waiting for a delivery of small detailing items, quayside bollards, ladders, lifebuoys etc, which all arrived today giving a further boost to the modelling effort. So I am optimistic that there will soon be progress to report.

Regards Rob

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Rob said: "The other thing it does is give time to assess what you are doing generally and I have given a fair bit of thought to Dons comment re atmosphere, a comment much appreciated, and after considerable thought I have come to the conclusion that I haven't got a clue what gives a model atmosphere,"

I think you do know Rob, the answer is in your ending sentence:........... "been waiting for a delivery of small detailing items, quayside bollards, ladders, lifebuoys etc, which all arrived today giving a further boost to the modelling effort."

Looking forward to following the ongoing build in the world as seen through the eyes of Rob.

Best

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think it is exactly those details, but also the ability to blend the whole picture together, where nothing jars or is out of place and every little item, every bush, flower or twig, every piece of weathered wood or worn step, every oiled chair or stained patch of ballast contributes in harmony to the overall scene.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Atmosphere or ambience, I find develops over time within the model and for me a mixture of good modelling, appropriate weathering and suitably positioned details.

I often place a few details or even the buildings, take a few photos and then move around into positions that I think work and then take more photos. Leave aside for a day or two and then look at the photos. These often work better to see how the scene looks. Sometimes the mark-one eyeball 'lies'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Barnaby, Stu and Richard, many thanks for your thoughts on atmosphere and what contributes to it. I think you all understand my modelling better than I do, but you don't hear all the swearing that goes on when it won't go right which is frequently! Like you Richard, I do like to try things out and leave them for a few days. At the moment I have got mooring bollards sat on the quayside and you wouldn't believe how many times they have ben moved.

Stu, it is good to see you back, I was a little concerned at your apparent absence but saw you recently explaining on another thread, so welcome back.

Kind regards to everyone Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I've only just discovered your thread. What a lovely little layout - the scene looks so natural and at one.

I look forward to watching your progress.

All the best,

Nick.

3 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi everyone, I managed to get down to the wharf early this morning to get a few snaps. I was surprised at the lack of activity as I understood the quay wall had been damaged in recent storms and I had expected to see some work progressing, but nothing. However I took a few snaps anyway:

900317974_SAM_0590(2).JPG.4f6e950fd09ccbf49b8735605c436b49.JPG

1791706500_SAM_0572(2).JPG.83a19c42addc770b49a4724ff4532a57.JPG626662985_SAM_0589(2).JPG.c71cbd00ef8344e9f3b835eb753121ab.JPG

As luck would have it I was just about to leave when I heard the sound of movement on the branch to the wharf and it appeared that the daily goods to Osney had a van load of fertilizer to deliver to the Farmers association siding. I was fortunate to be around at that moment as days can go by without any rail movements on the branch. Normally the working would be one of the panniers from Osney shed but today it was unusually a 14xx Class which must have been deputising for the normal loco. So out with the camera again:

1183817661_SAM_0581(2).JPG.24e47aa87d8e52689bcd55985eea3fbe.JPGSAM_0582.JPG.841cfac104e5da4f04521650751b0349.JPGSo that's the story but now for the reality. Progress has been delayed by school holidays and having to camp out in half the house while a new kitchen and flooring was installed but also I suddenly realised that only one major part of the layout remained to be done, the quay wall. When this is finished only minor items will remain and the layout will be finished. I know that they say a layout is never finished but with 5 feet in 0 gauge, believe me it is finished! As I have really enjoyed this build and am very pleased with the layout so far I think I have unconsciously slowed right down because I don't want to finish. There is also the small matter of having to scribe nearly 5 feet of stonework on the quay wall, but looking at it from another viewpoint, it should keep me going for a while.

And finally, those of you who have followed this saga may have wondered about the sudden appearance of the 14XX. It appeared about Christmas time from Tower models who had helpfully given it a light weathering to save me the trauma of having to work on a pristine loco. I can add to that if I want but it certainly needs some real coal, fire irons and a crew. Something else to keep me occupied. 

So that's the story up todate, the next installment should be news of the great wall.

Regards Rob 

SAM_0583 (2).JPG

Stunning!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Hi Rob,

I've only just discovered your thread. What a lovely little layout - the scene looks so natural and at one.

I look forward to watching your progress.

All the best,

Nick.

Hi Nick, thanks for your comments, hopefully progress won't be too slow.

Rob

13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I do like the way that the back line meanders through the buildings, reminds me of Dumere crossing on the wenfordbridge line.

Glad you like the curve, I have a photo somewhere of a line wending its way through industrial buildings which was at the back of my mind, but the Wenford Bridge line also has that feel as you say. I took the photo as this view is not one that is normally available from the usual viewing angle.

Rob

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi All,

Well I did say that the next update would involve the great wall, so here goes. Before I began work I spent a fair bit of time researching the type of stonework likely to be used on quay walls and quickly realised that I had so many examples around me down in the far west that I was really spoilt for choice. The variety was amazing, so I came to the early conclusion that Rule One could easily be used and consequently I did my own thing.

I started on the left hand board, and despite intending to proceed slowly across both boards to get continuity, I ended up completing the left board first. This was mainly due to not being able to initially get the effect I wanted, so carried on till it looked right. I don't think that it has turned out quite the way I saw it in my mind's eye when I started the layout but looks ok, I think. Anyway it has gone to far to really change it now apart from minor changes. The foreshore, which is modelled at low tide still needs a little tweaking but i will get the right hand board done before going back to that area. So that's it up to now, hope you like the photos.

Regards Rob

SAM_0592.JPG.cbd9105c85654c6fcd048b891d79a990.JPGSAM_0593.JPG.42bb111e3a4a0265699ffd67780f4e48.JPGSAM_0594.JPG.40ecfa344502a49fec6f37407ef0235a.JPGSAM_0595.JPG.1d51abac6dddb0fa03e521e4c51191d8.JPGSAM_0596.JPG.2a83daf9a5995c6573bb398cc8bb16cb.JPGSAM_0597.JPG.5ff6854bef4f7e58755bb82f225c1562.JPG

Looking good. Cannot wait to see at the shows.

I love the atmosphere you've created there, the trackwork, weathering all look superb. 

Is that static grass used in the pics? I'd like to try something similar in 4mm but I'm wary of the fibres getting caught up in mechanisms . 

18 hours ago, RAY NORWOOD said:

Looking good. Cannot wait to see at the shows.

Hi Ray, good to hear from you. Hopefully things are moving closer to the day we can all go to shows and meet up with old friends. As we all get older the effort in exhibiting  seems to get greater and after two years away I begin to wonder whether I will be up to it, if indeed I'm invited!!

best wishes Rob

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

I love the atmosphere you've created there, the trackwork, weathering all look superb. 

Is that static grass used in the pics? I'd like to try something similar in 4mm but I'm wary of the fibres getting caught up in mechanisms . 

Hi Steve, yes it is static grass applied with a puffer bottle. No fancy electrical gadgets here! Due to the size of my layouts this method has always been adequate for my requirements and I find it gives me the close control I need. The bulk of the grass is a Woodland Scenics static grass flock - Burnt Grass with a few other bits added when necessary. 

Regards Rob

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Coming along really well Rob!

Has got me thinking about something in 7mm again, now that I have a growing collection of wagons ....

Hi Richard 

Thanks for that and you know that in O gauge you don't need a lot of space. :rolleyes:

best wishes Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi Richard 

Thanks for that and you know that in O gauge you don't need a lot of space. :rolleyes:

best wishes Rob

Yes, can get something built in 0 gauge in a relatively small space, just have a great deal of time at the moment....

• 3 weeks later...