The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

Your layouts are an absolute delight. Your eye for subtle details and the ability to reproduce them in such a satisfying way is truly remarkable. Despite my seventy years on the planet I have never managed to acquire the observational skills which you seem to have but I live in hope!

Looking forward to the 'bubble car' making an appearance!

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Just a quick update on progress. First of all thank you for all your likes and to Stu, Steve, David and Pete for your lovely comments. I did hit the thanks button but that seems inadequate as a response, as your comments are really appreciated.

In considering my next move I was thinking about when I started The Shed, so I looked back through this thread and discovered that it must have been in 2011. How time flies and not surprising that it is looking tired. Looking back also got me reading through some of the thread which made me realize how much has happened in my modelling over the years and just how many of you have followed my ramblings along the way. Some of you I have met but others I probably never will but it's what makes this hobby all the more rewarding. So thanks to you all.

Having got that out of my system, back to the current situation. I have bitten the bullet and moved The Shed into long term storage in the garage which we all know means that it is one step nearer to the end, although for emotional reasons that is probably still some way off!. There are also details on it which I would remove and reuse as they provide a link to the past and provide, for me, some continuity in my modelling. The Wharf now takes pride of place in the workroom where it can still be worked on and small details added. New Osney, or what is left of it, has been moved back in on the trestles vacated by the Wharf, after dusting it off and removing the spiders. It is now handy for planning the next move. Looking back through the thread someone mentioned that however long you look at something, if it doesn't look right it is never going to get better. My view entirely, so the wrecking ball will shortly be applied while I consider the next step which will almost certainly include more pictures of the Wharf with any added details. If there is anything else I will keep you updated.

Regards to you all, Rob

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• rcf changed the title to My O Gauge cameo layouts, the story continues, Osney Wharf and beyond...

Hi All,

You may have noticed a change of title to this thread. This is to reflect what the thread has turned into during the course of the last few years and hopefully how it will continue.

The Wharf, as it will probably end up being called, is still receiving attention in its new location in front of me, rather than in a different room, so much more convenient for adding the occasional detail when inspiration strikes. I have, however, been giving a lot of thought to where to go next.

As mentioned in my last post I am looking for somewhere to run and pose my passenger stock as a contrast to The Wharf which is a shunting layout. I'm looking for something simple, in line with my modelling history of keeping things simple but creating an overall picture. Passenger stock is always going to look large in a cameo, especially as the scenic area is only 5 feet in length, or unless you use 4 wheeled stock, which I don't have. In the past I have used the trick of putting the running line behind the platform to reduce the impact, Osney Town for example. Having been down that route more than once I think it is time for a change.

I have had my books out looking for inspiration, that one glimpse of something that will provide inspiration, and have homed in on Hemyock, on the Culm valley line, and Coombe Junction, on the Liskeard and Looe line. I have an idea that combines elements of both, but leaning more towards the latter.

In the meantime I have been preparing the base boards. These had a photographic backscene, which you will recall I was less than pleased with, so having removed the old scenery my intention was to paint over the backscene. Simple!  Not so, when I removed the scenery I discovered the vinyl was coming away from the backscene in a few places. Closer inspection revealed that the mounting card I had used to create the curved backscene was also coming away over large areas. I had used the card thinking that as it was not going to have paint on, it would be ok. What I should have done, I think, is to have sealed the card prior to applying the glue. So, it all had to come off. I have now replaced the lot with bendy mdf, which is what I should have done in the first place.  

So that is where I am at the moment. The next step is to mock up a few ideas and then I can take some pics to share and get your views.

Regards rob

• Like 9

Hi Rob, I missed the last few sets of photos when you posted them. I think Osney Wharf is your best yet (which is saying something), so I think you're absolutely right to talk about the 10-year experience as something of a journey!

I still find The Shed inspirational, so I hope it doesn't find itself cast out entirely just yet. It's a beautiful little scene.

Osney Wharf is really something though. The two chaps having a discussion through the gate are such a classy touch, and the walled yard they're standing in is just the kind of ramshackle structure which gives these layouts character. I think lots of people (myself first amongst them) fall into everything either being 'a building' or 'open ground', with nothing in between. But these kinds of areas make your layouts into something so much more convincing.

Looking forward to the next one (again!)

Adam

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hi Rob, I missed the last few sets of photos when you posted them. I think Osney Wharf is your best yet (which is saying something), so I think you're absolutely right to talk about the 10-year experience as something of a journey!

I still find The Shed inspirational, so I hope it doesn't find itself cast out entirely just yet. It's a beautiful little scene.

Osney Wharf is really something though. The two chaps having a discussion through the gate are such a classy touch, and the walled yard they're standing in is just the kind of ramshackle structure which gives these layouts character. I think lots of people (myself first amongst them) fall into everything either being 'a building' or 'open ground', with nothing in between. But these kinds of areas make your layouts into something so much more convincing.

Looking forward to the next one (again!)

Adam

Hi Adam, many thanks for your comments. The Shed has always been one of my favourites, as I think it came closest to what I try and achieve in my layouts and the picture I see in my head. I have no current plans to get rid of it for a number of reasons but it no longer has pride of place in the workroom!

I'm glad you like Osney Wharf as I feel it does what I set out to do and has taken the place of The Shed as a result, physically and mentally. You cannot always plan these things, the little cameo with the two men really came by chance. I have mentioned previously that that particular corner had caused me problems and a number of solutions had been tried until I literally stumbled on the final solution. I always think about what my wife has said to me in the past. If a particular model works for her she says that she wishes she could shrink herself down so that  she could  walk down a certain path or open a door of a building to see what is inside. So I tend to use that test when I am working, what would it be like to be able to walk around that area?  What would I see? Does it feel right?  However, at this point I think I had better stop as I keep thinking of that line in The Big Bang Theory, I'm not mad, my mother had me tested!

best wishes Rob

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Well, there has been a lot of thinking since my last post. As I said before, I want to create a picture to make the best use of my coaching stock to complement the Wharf, which is goods only. While I am not looking for anything complicated I want the final picture to look balanced, but at the same time the railway aspect must be a realistic portrayal of the railway scene, at least to me. All this in 5 feet.

The two stations that I have homed in on are very different, Hemyock has been modelled many times and I do not intend starting again, and it is too big anyway but I do like the way a siding leaves the platform line to serve the dairy on the other side of the road. The Looe line has some lovely halts along its length, some associated with some lovely bridges as scenic breaks. Coombe Junction station, where trains reversed direction is simple in the extreme with just a waiting shelter on the platform.

So my thinking, so far is as follows, a short platform, served by a single line with a siding leaving to serve the wharf. The line would be contained between two complex bridges with arches to serve the railway, the adjoining Osney river and a footpath. The front of the layout would comprise the river its banks and a lot of vegetation. The risk is that all the interest will be at the rear of the layout. My first effort involved just a waiting shelter but it actually looked too small and disappeared completely behind the auto coach!  So I went for a small station building similar to those on the Hemyock branch.

To make some sort of sense of all this I have attached some photos. The old track bed will roughly form the river and the bits of the old platform are just to give a sense of what it could look like with a building to the rear to give some interest. This reflects the old mill behind Coombe Junction station.

So that's it for now, comments always welcome,

Rob

OJ08.JPG.5b0961d9f7f9b006c7231117d3f01be7.JPGOJ11.JPG.d22a1355b7f2ded905790b3fba3cfbf6.JPGOJ12.JPG.76dfebe314ce71ba2fea2a3019173269.JPGOJ13.JPG.b9d185ee9f14bddc746184d18c7ec82b.JPG

Edited by rcf
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Donw said:

If is often nice to have something big at the front I think a nice old willow leaning over the river osney.

Don

I'm a big fan of having something big at the front Don, :D but a willow tree sounds like a step too far, but then again, what a challenge. I will have to get my Gordan Gravett books out. He must have made one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rcf said:

I'm a big fan of having something big at the front Don, :D but a willow tree sounds like a step too far, but then again, what a challenge. I will have to get my Gordan Gravett books out. He must have made one!

Yes, he has made a couple. In one of his book on trees.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Be careful if you go for a pollard. Bob Alderman made some for an 0 gauge layout. In an article there was a picture of the prepared trunks, my wife saw the picture and thought they looked rather rude.

Don

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/07/2021 at 17:27, Donw said:

If is often nice to have something big at the front 

On 14/07/2021 at 13:43, Donw said:

In an article there was a picture of the prepared trunks, my wife saw the picture and thought they looked rather rude.

Don, I'm not exactly sure where you are heading with this conversation...

• Funny 3

• rcf changed the title to My O Gauge cameo layouts, the story continues, Osney Town Wharf and beyond...

Hi Rob,

It has been some time since I last caught up with your modelling good sir. And I must say, I'm as pleased as ever that I have been browsing this thread :) 
Superb, as always. Although you say your modelling has been at a "snail's pace" - it's more than I've been doing... and anyway - this hobby is not about rushing things (well, not for me anyway lol)

I always liked that very short siding in front of Hemyock station, by the cattle dock - and I see you've replicated that. Nice indeed.
I agree with what others have said too. You have created some lovely details and cameos. Now, I must read back through the thread, in case there's anything I've missed. 

ATVB, and hope you're well, and continue your excellent modelling :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Have been meaning to do the Welsh Highland line since it opened, haven't managed it yet. 

Hi Stu, I can thoroughly recommend it, lovely scenery  but it is a long trip, if you travel the whole line you need to allow the best part of the day.

17 hours ago, marc smith said:

Hi Rob,

It has been some time since I last caught up with your modelling good sir. And I must say, I'm as pleased as ever that I have been browsing this thread :) 
Superb, as always. Although you say your modelling has been at a "snail's pace" - it's more than I've been doing... and anyway - this hobby is not about rushing things (well, not for me anyway lol)

I always liked that very short siding in front of Hemyock station, by the cattle dock - and I see you've replicated that. Nice indeed.
I agree with what others have said too. You have created some lovely details and cameos. Now, I must read back through the thread, in case there's anything I've missed. 

ATVB, and hope you're well, and continue your excellent modelling :) 

Hi Marc, good to hear from you and I'm sorry you are unable to model at the moment. I have long been a fan of your work and as you may remember you were instrumental in getting me posting on hear in the first place, so hopefully you will be able to get back to it some time in the future so we can once more enjoy your work.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I can't believe how long it is since I posted on any progress. As I mentioned in one of my last posts the railway room was required for other reasons. This went on longer than expected and I guess my mojo also left me by the time the room became available again for railway related activities. However, I managed to rouse myself to the extent of re-erecting the old New Osney boards after Christmas so I can now wander in and consider options for its future development and play around with card mock-ups.

As part of on going research I was looking back through this thread for a photo of one of the previous layouts and discovered that the photos on earlier pages no longer load and this includes some photos that others had down loaded. I recall that at some stage there was a restriction on the size of photos you could down load and it it likely that those photos that won't load pre date that restriction. If that is the case it is quite a recent problem as I can recall looking at some of these older photos not so long ago. If anyone with more technical know how has an answer to this issue I would love to know what it is and whether there is anything I can do about it.

In the meantime I continue to play with ideas for the new build.

Regards to all Rob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A PM to the mods, may get you an answer to your photo query.

Thanks for that, I have done an item on the faults and help topic, so will see what happens.

Rob

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I see that Andy has answered your query.

Yes, I've just done a reply to thank him and also again, thank you for your advice as well which spurred me into action.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At last some small progress, the back boards have been glued in place, before they were just clamped, and a coat of paint has been applied.

The 'little grey cells' have also been much in use although I find that as the years progress it is the lack of 'little grey cells'

that becomes the problem. :scratchhead:The issue is an old one, how do you design a layout of 5 feet in length, in which an auto coach and loco or a 'bubble car' do not dominate the scene. If you put a platform to the rear the whole thing begins to look like a stage set, which is not the look I am after. However, if the platform is at the front where it lessens the impact of the rolling stock, I am back on old territory, and not so long ago, in July to be precise, I said I did not want to go back down that route.

To illustrate, some photos, all rather crude but they help to highlight the issues:

OJ12.JPG.8a98d0e0101f5b1a957904e0fefeb538.JPGOJ10.JPG.1777b9637a1cefecfee64da538465f10.JPG

The first two show a platform to the rear, the first with a larger station building and the second with a small waiting shelter, which would be the most appropriate for the location, but which really gets lost when the train is in the station. As I have mentioned earlier I am looking at the idea of Coombe Junction on the Looe branch line which was mainly there to reverse the train. The next photos show what happens when the platform is placed at the front. The impact of the rolling stock is immediately reduced but with this option my earlier idea of a stream in the foreground has to go. With the station to the rear i don't think the stream option would have sufficient impact. You may wonder why I am concerned at getting the basics right but I'm after as realistic a scene as possible but in a very limited area, really a balanced picture but which includes a moving train. The building outline to the rear is just there to show potential ideas only:

OJ07.JPG.0bd9738a0114b82c59f28f4c8d5e0101.JPGOJ09.JPG.816aa15b0a28a466298bac25503239b8.JPGOJ09.JPG.816aa15b0a28a466298bac25503239b8.JPG

So that's it for the moment, all comments, views are welcome as always,

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1