The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

I really like the 'rear view of the station' look, and am going to have a look at redesigning my plan that way round. I was working on using a low relief station building at the back of the layout because i'd bought it - and designing the layout round what I had rather than what I want.

You've definitely captured the "less is more" look well and sometimes looking at other people's plans can make you realise what was wrong with your own...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

It's great to see the interest that your layouts have generated - well deserved in my opinion!

Having seen two of your creations, I have to comment that the photos do not do them justice!

Really looking forward to seeing progress on 'new' Osney!

Certainly has go me thinking about doing something in 7mm again, possibly narrow gauge as I have plenty of stock and bits and pieces ....

• RMweb Premium

Certainly has go me thinking about doing something in 7mm again, possibly narrow gauge as I have plenty of stock and bits and pieces ....

That's good to hear Mudders...

I really like the 'rear view of the station' look, and am going to have a look at redesigning my plan that way round. I was working on using a low relief station building at the back of the layout because i'd bought it - and designing the layout round what I had rather than what I want.

You've definitely captured the "less is more" look well and sometimes looking at other people's plans can make you realise what was wrong with your own...

Hi cromptonnut

I used to get very frustrated with my efforts and deciding what to build and I was pushed down the 'true path' :no: when I saw a layout called St Georges Hill. Gordan Gravett has mentioned it in one of his books and it was featured in the MRJ, must be 15 years ago. It modelled the bay platform of a larger station and was simply and beautifully modelled and folded up into a grandfather clock when not being used! It made me realise you can effectively model just a part of something, an idea I have followed ever since.

I also find it helpful to mock up the main buildings in card before getting too far. I use card from old cereal packets and a glue gun.

It is easier to re-arrange or re-build at that stage than when you have built the real thing, although even then it doesn't always work.

best wishes Rob

Wonderful stuff. I saw Osney Town at the West of England MRE in 2010. It got my internal Best in Show vote. Hands down. I coud have stood there for ages. Even with nothing moving. Wonderful.

And I used to live in Bude. Back when everything was in black and white. There used to be a Scout Hut further along the quay where I went to Cubs. Until Peter Glaze and 'Crackerjack' did for that. And of course,the sand tramway that went down past the sea lock. You have captured the end of the end of the branch very,very well. Top stuff.

Wonderful stuff. I saw Osney Town at the West of England MRE in 2010. It got my internal Best in Show vote. Hands down. I coud have stood there for ages. Even with nothing moving. Wonderful.

And I used to live in Bude. Back when everything was in black and white. There used to be a Scout Hut further along the quay where I went to Cubs. Until Peter Glaze and 'Crackerjack' did for that. And of course,the sand tramway that went down past the sea lock. You have captured the end of the end of the branch very,very well. Top stuff.

Hello Jan. Many thanks for the lovely comments and your 'best in show' vote! Did we spend some time chatting about our modelling philosophies?

Rob

There has been slow progress on Osney, due to the pace of my stone laying. I have been working on the station forecourt area and the slope down to the platform. Have also done a little more work on the shelter.

479422279_layout001.jpg.35f079c32061d06d9a80895e569d7a53.jpg1562599302_layout003.jpg.b93a876150dd51f95f2bcaaf6336bf1e.jpg1334933284_layout002.jpg.064c464496228cb3a9c15a0dd9820fdd.jpg

I am trying a new technique for the stonework. Previously, when using Das Modelling Clay I have used the pastry approach, taking a large piece of clay and rolling it out to the size I want. This time I thought I would try the Gordon Gravett approach, that is using small pea sized lumps and spreading that out with a thumb. I thought it would be much slower but actually you can go quite fast. I am getting better but am still undecided about which is the best method for me.

There is a great temptation to put some paint on but I am resisting the urge until I have done all the stonwork in this area to ensure I get some continuity in the colouring.

One last photo of the other end of the layout to show the exit to the other fiddle yard and the mock up of the footbridge. I have yet to build the second fiddle yard but when that is built the layout will have an overall length of 11feet 6 inches. I will have to be careful otherwise my licence to build micros could be withdrawn. :no::no:

1362953311_layout006.jpg.8472f06abbe33988a851e17f79743fbf.jpg

Edited by rcf
photos added
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that :)

It was nice to see some movement on the layout,

which of course still pictures cannot do...

I still think Osney had bags of atmosphere,

and the fact that you modelled the opposite side of the station to the usual side,

was nice to see. Got a real feel for the layout

Good luck with the new one,

and don't forget to keep us up to date with developments

Cheers again

I had a few doubts a while back about the current build but as often happens you get to a point when you begin to get the feeling that things might have begun to work and take some sort of shape. Not quite sure what it was in this case but gradually I could see progress. More stonework has been added and I will have to apply some paint soon.

1204648278_layouts001.jpg.b6b2aa52f6ff2191e65fb2567486d765.jpg375337564_layouts003.jpg.f71431e2c6f80f6649664bd8bd8f9b0d.jpg2012182348_layouts002.jpg.45e90742414829c2cb335808d30409a7.jpg

I thought some wagons on the 'colliery' line might help to give some atmosphere and someone should tell that poor woman in the shelter that it will be a while before trains leave the station!

Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 9

Have finally got around to painting something and have actually almost finished the waiting shelter. Nothing is finally secured yet, so the building will eventually be bedded in as will the platform. Those horrible gaps will disappear. Hope you like the progress so far.

2026961885_layouts004.jpg.31a32a8530b2f9fbcf2ec64787ef06fe.jpg

59218194_layouts006.thumb.jpg.97c1ae65645fd436307c99c06f8f8833.jpg

Edited by rcf
  • Like 12

Looking good Rob, but would the stones & mortar be an awful lot darker, due to years of steam, oil and muck being sprayed and splashed from the locos ?

Stu

Interesting. When I posted the photos of the shelter I didn't really think about the stonework which was also new but it is still work in progress. I had intended to add a layer of dirt but then I began to quite like it as it is and Richard likes it as well, so I am now unsure. Its easy to add darker colours than lighter, so I think I will do what I usually do in these situations and leave it for a few days and see how it goes and await inspiration. The other thing is that at the moment you see the stonework out of context because the platform still has to be worked on.

Anyway, watch this space and if any one else has any views please feel free to chip in.

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good Rob,

I really like that shelter!

It's difficult to tell from photos, but I'd say you could darken a few patches, slightly....

But I wouldn't go everboard...

The amount of soot, grot & grime would depend on frequency of trains,

which classes of loco, weather conditions and how porus the local stone is....

I'd go for a gradual building up of effects....

Let each subtle application of weathering sit there, and have a cuppa whilst pondering

That's what I do :)

Good work sir!

Marc

Looking good Rob,

I really like that shelter!

It's difficult to tell from photos, but I'd say you could darken a few patches, slightly....

But I wouldn't go everboard...

The amount of soot, grot & grime would depend on frequency of trains,

which classes of loco, weather conditions and how porus the local stone is....

I'd go for a gradual building up of effects....

Let each subtle application of weathering sit there, and have a cuppa whilst pondering

That's what I do :)

Good work sir!

Marc

Thanks for that Marc. We seem to be thinking along the same lines. I have left the stonework for the moment but have decided a little judicious weathering is all that is really needed and I will leave that until other work is done and I can get the balance right.

I do like a good ponder myself but there is a risk as you get older that the longer you ponder the more chance there is that you forget what the original problem was!!

I have been giving some thought to the exit to the other fiddle yard. As shown in post 57 I was intending to use a high retaining wall with plenty of vegetation on it, but now feel this is a weak solution. The station building at the other end is quite high and really needs a stronger counter point to give some balance to the picture which is really what I am trying to create. My wife also asked me what building I intended to put in the corner, which made me stop and think. I always find the corners a little tricky as I am a firm believer in curved backscenes and this can make constuction more difficult.

So, I have decided to construct quite a large building, which will continue the structural form of the existing large building but vary in detail. This will hopefully disguise the fact that the footpath over the bridge doesn't go anywhere.

I have also been thinking about erecting the whole edifice in my room. In theory there is room but I do have a problem. Although I build small layouts I do like the big ones and always go straight to Peterborough North when there is an update, and followed the saga over disguising the shelving behind this lovely layout with interest. My problem is also shelving but is more basic as it is in the way, so as I need the shelving for storage, I need to find a solution. I think I have found an answer but it is going to require a major re-organisation of the room.At the moment I can't face doing that but it is not critical as I haven't built the other fiddle yard yet and is a job for the future.

Will post some more piccies soon but as for now, what was I going to do before I started this ramble?

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoying reading this thread, an inspiring bit of modelling! I particularly like your stone work and personally would be in no hurry to darken it. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one.

Best wishes

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Rob, but would the stones & mortar be an awful lot darker, due to years of steam, oil and muck being sprayed and splashed from the locos ?

Stu

This is a photo at the end of Bodmin station. The stones here are lighter than I thought I remembered, but also a lot greener! At the far end of the visible track the stones are a lot darker.

post-7025-0-13877400-1342180235_thumb.jpg

Stu

Really enjoying reading this thread, an inspiring bit of modelling! I particularly like your stone work and personally would be in no hurry to darken it. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one.

Best wishes

Thanks for that Dave. Some progress soon I hope.

Rob

Dave

This is a photo at the end of Bodmin station. The stones here are lighter than I thought I remembered, but also a lot greener! At the far end of the visible track the stones are a lot darker.

post-7025-0-13877400-1342180235_thumb.jpg

Stu

Thanks for posting that Stu. Gives me a few ideas. When I think about it I probably have some photos of Bodmin myself, just forgot to look!

Cheers Rob

There has been a frenzy of building activity down at Osney during the last few days.There seems little project planning involved, rather things appear to be done on the whim of the contractor and how he felt that day. However I have managed to find time to take a few pictures and record progress. Everything is looking very shiny and new, as if it was built yesterday, but time will exert its influence at some point.

The station building has had further work done, and I quite like the chimney

2044861387_layouts008.jpg.e7de988b8f3cbc9e1149285b03712905.jpg1538560065_layouts009.jpg.1a602ba198728186cf7d58761decbc36.jpg1894094736_layouts016.jpg.723dfb99d2c76b72b67bf1a54d116b39.jpg

A large new building has sprung up at the southern end of the station, don't ask me why its the south end, it just is. This will I understand, help conceal some future work in this area.

999554561_layouts013.jpg.248a7198cc41cb3f0d0b901b02693469.jpg

The footbridge has had some work done on it and will soon have some decent stone abuttments to sit on. Incidently you can see the problem with the shelving mentioned in an earlier post.

1538560065_layouts009.jpg.1a602ba198728186cf7d58761decbc36.jpg

And finally some work has continued in those areas the public are not permitted, just to prove both sides get modelled!

1614416082_layouts017.thumb.jpg.7ad5ae934160dd44e170bf05d2f7c221.jpg

Cheers Rob

layouts 015.jpg

layouts 014.jpg

Edited by rcf
photos added
  • Like 11

Rob, superb layout. Such a lot in a small space.

There are so many little modelling gems in there that it has given me a few ideas for my first slowly progressing O gauge layout.

Thanks for sharing it with us all. Keep up the good work and the inspirational work.

Thanks Buckjumper and two tone green for your comments. Osney will certainly be different to Osney Town which had a nice intimacy and sense of enclosure, coming, I think, from the two main buildings being in the foreground. It did mean, however, that you only got glimpses of any train in the station. Osney will have a much more open feel and it already seems more than 6 feet in length. Operationally it will be more interesting both for the operator and the viewer, should it ever be exhibited. Just hope it works that way!!

As to the detail, being a micro gives more opportunity to concentrate on the small items and I am always interested in peoples reaction at shows. When they spend time looking at 5 or 6 feet of modelling and start taking pictures of the detail you feel that the effort is all worthwhile.

Cheers Rob

Edited by rcf