The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Correction,

It was Warley....

post-2973-0-68031900-1338290280_thumb.jpg

Cheers again

Hi Marc

I have replied to your PM and appreciate your comments. To avoid confusion for others I have never exhibited at Warley, Bude Quay was exhibited at Telford in 2007.

Regards again, Rob

Hi Rob, nice to see you and your wife at the weekend at Hayle, hope you enjoyed it.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Nice to see you and have a chat. We both enjoyed the show and seeing old friends from previous shows.

Rob

Edited by rcf

Having bored you all trawling through the last 5 years of my modelling life I thought I would try and document the trials and tribulations of building the new Osney. I was going to change the title to reflect this but haven't worked out whether this is possible or how to do it if it is.

When looking for subjects to model I tend to be attracted by a particular photo or part of one. I look for something which will create a three dimensional picture which you look at or into. This was the case with the quay at Bude and Dursley for Osney Town. It also applied to my earlier failed layouts The Shed was the only exception but even then I tried to use elements from real life, the shed itself was based on Fairford in Glos. But I think the result captured the feel of a loco shed in its final days. I prefer to base the layouts in reality so that no one can say that a certain aspect would not have been built like that!

For the new Osney I have returned to an earlier example which I used in my first binned layout. The idea was ok but the execution was poor. The photos that drew me were of Abergwynfi a small terminus on a South Wales colliery line. The station had a single platform and run round facility and a line to the colliery, passing behind the station, under a road bridge and on up the valley.From the micro layout aspect it allows the use of 2 trains in a small space.

Because I am re-using the boards from Osney Town I am restricted in width. If I made them wider they wouldn't go in my car and I wouldn't be able to exhibit, which is something I have come to enjoy. As a consequence I cannot get the run round loop alongside the platform so have moved it off-stage and hinted at a loop by using a single point, well actually part of a point. Similarly there is no room for the station building on the platform,so I have resolved this by putting the station at right angles to the platform.

Basically then a layout based on Abergwynfi but bearing little visual resemblance.

Although I have said that Osney Town is no more that is not strictly true as some of it survives. I have retained most of the background buildings and the platform road which has been extended and now forms the colliery line. The new platform line has also been laid. Basic work has also started on the platform, station buildings and footbridge. This brings progress up to today but I will update when there is further progress.

I was going to upload some photos but senility has struck again and I will have to post them later when I have resolved a little problem!!!

Rob

Ok, sanity has returned, at least that is what I keep telling myself, photos as promised.

DSC00118.JPG.cf6d5e3e8894d5686dc421463eecb3ff.JPGDSC00119.JPG.1de9da2946539cb25815934076bd29fe.JPGDSC00114.JPG.6c63a7a44c15e040cfb828eaa117ec7a.JPGDSC00117.JPG.5d90fe1486b4e79653aeb00adbf6853f.JPG

Rob

Edited by rcf
photos added
  • Like 10

Guest 838rapid

Here we go again, :O

i am so jealous at you layout building skillls,I have a 14 ft space and cant think what to put there.

Think I might look at a smaller layout as they really seem the way to go.

Keep up the good work

Hi again Rob,

Appols for thinking Bude Quay was at Warley

Still, it was nice to see it in the flesh anyway....

I too find myself looking at models, photos or real scenes, or parts of those scenes,

in order to envisage how I can make it look in model form....

I find it's an aprroach that works for me

even if I never get to build 90 per cent of them :)

Re your dismantling of Osney Town,

I tend to think of not re-using baseboards, because I think they may not suit any future plans.

I myself dismantled a layout years back, and found that ballast & scenery were stuck fast

and it was difficult to lay the track as smoothly as I would have liked

Also, the boards needed a bit trimming off in places,

and bits added on in others...

I'm sure you would have had very decent offers for Osney, if you advertised it for sale....

I like the new idea though, and I know Abergwynfi

It's a rarely modelled area, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress

Keep up the fine work Rob

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: I do like the colliery line behind the platform....

Again, not too often modelled, but a nice touch,

as is your "part of a point"

Edited by marc smith

i am so jealous at you layout building skillls,I have a 14 ft space and cant think what to put there.

Keep up the good work

Hello 838 rapid,

I would start by looking closely at what Rob has done...

Maybe as a starter, have a bash at a diorama?

Just to get an idea of how to ballast, have a go at scenery,

or use an unfamilar technique....

It's a good way of learning :)

Sometimes, you can have too much space...

I know that sounds a strange thing to say,

but when you have a lot of space, the tendency is to try to "fill" it with interest

Building micro layouts and dioramas teaches you a lot about composition,

and is relatively inexpensive

Start with a photo, of say a weighbridge, or goods shed & crane,

a depot refuelling point, or maybe a wayside halt?

It could even be that you end up incorporating that into a larger "modular" layout....

Good luck, and let us know how you are getting on

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: (again!)

Take a look at what mudmagnet has done here

I know it's OO, and not O

but he has taken a real minimalist approach,

and though the scene isn't full of railway

it is packed with atmosphere..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/23647-east-yarde-now-2-metres-plus-fiddle-yards/page__st__150

It can be run with 2 fiddle yard cassettes,

or possibly just 1 at home on the kitchen table (provided she's out!),

and can be used as part of a larger "modular" layout

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

Guest 838rapid

Hi Marc.

Thanks for the advice and link,

I missed this Layout.

Looks really good,and is food for thought.

Keep up the good work

Hi 838rapid, Thanks for your comments. I would agree with everything Marc has said. For me the plus side of thinking small is that you can actually plan something, build and complete it in a short time and if it goes wrong, and it has certainly happened to me, you haven't lost a great deal in terms of time or outlay. The satisfaction in completing something, however, is immense.

Rob

• Like 1

Hi again Rob,

Appols for thinking Bude Quay was at Warley

Still, it was nice to see it in the flesh anyway....

I too find myself looking at models, photos or real scenes, or parts of those scenes,

in order to envisage how I can make it look in model form....

I find it's an aprroach that works for me

even if I never get to build 90 per cent of them :)

Re your dismantling of Osney Town,

I tend to think of not re-using baseboards, because I think they may not suit any future plans.

I myself dismantled a layout years back, and found that ballast & scenery were stuck fast

and it was difficult to lay the track as smoothly as I would have liked

Also, the boards needed a bit trimming off in places,

and bits added on in others...

I'm sure you would have had very decent offers for Osney, if you advertised it for sale....

I like the new idea though, and I know Abergwynfi

It's a rarely modelled area, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress

Keep up the fine work Rob

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: I do like the colliery line behind the platform....

Again, not too often modelled, but a nice touch,

as is your "part of a point"

Hi Marc

I think I have a thing about lines behind platforms, thats why Dursley attracted me as a subject for OT. I always think that island platforms are more interesting.

Rob

Hi Marc.

Thanks for the advice and link,

I missed this Layout.

Looks really good,and is food for thought.

No problems sir...

This forum is all about sharing information and inspiration

There's so much stuff on here, I often miss great threads too

ANother one to check out is a user called "Sandhills"

He has created some fab dioramas / small layouts

again they are OO, but there are some neat ideas which you could transpose to 7mm

well worth a look at his stuff anyway

Cheers again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I've had a look through my photos and have attached a few below for Osney and the Shed.

In addition, I would agree with Marc's comments - there is a lot to be said for small layouts.

Marc, thanks for the mention of East Yarde. I've had great fun building this one and still a few more things to do!

Anyway, enjoy the photos!

post-7854-0-53313500-1338405871.jpg

post-7854-0-88891500-1338405875.jpg

post-7854-0-46444900-1338405880.jpg

post-7854-0-13867700-1338405885.jpg

post-7854-0-88966700-1338405904.jpg

post-7854-0-55745000-1338405908.jpg

post-7854-0-72470600-1338405912.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi Marc

I think I have a thing about lines behind platforms, thats why Dursley attracted me as a subject for OT. I always think that island platforms are more interesting.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I agree, I've done something similar on Bridport Town, which owes a lot to Hemyock.

It seems to be something of a modelling convention that we have to show the rail side of a platform, but I often find the rear view just as interesting, with scruffy outbuildings, backyards etc, plus the overgrown bank at the rear of the platform.

Sorry to hear that Osney Town has had to be dismantled, and I regret I never saw it. Those are Arthur Paine Highworth buildings aren't they?

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

......It seems to be something of a modelling convention that we have to show the rail side of a platform, but I often find the rear view just as interesting, with scruffy outbuildings, backyards etc, plus the overgrown bank at the rear of the platform.......

All the best,

Dave.

Dave, couldn't agree more :)

I do like the usual "platform view" too, but there's something about modelling the "back" of the usual view

Perhaps it conjures up some of the excitement and anticipation of approaching a station?

Hemyock.... now there's something I always fancied basing a layout on..... drool!

Mudmagnet, thanks for posting those great pics :)

However, now I'm even sadder that I never saw Osney Town :(

rcf, please don't dismantle "The Shed" - looking at all the positive comments here,

you would upset a few people! ;)

Cheers again

Marc

Hi Rob,

I've had a look through my photos and have attached a few below for Osney and the Shed.

In addition, I would agree with Marc's comments - there is a lot to be said for small layouts.

Marc, thanks for the mention of East Yarde. I've had great fun building this one and still a few more things to do!

Anyway, enjoy the photos!

post-7854-0-53313500-1338405871.jpg

post-7854-0-88891500-1338405875.jpg

post-7854-0-46444900-1338405880.jpg

post-7854-0-13867700-1338405885.jpg

post-7854-0-88966700-1338405904.jpg

post-7854-0-55745000-1338405908.jpg

post-7854-0-72470600-1338405912.jpg

Many thanks for posting some great shots, I particularly like the two wagons from The Shed. Close ups like that can be very cruel but I think I got away with that one!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I agree, I've done something similar on Bridport Town, which owes a lot to Hemyock.

It seems to be something of a modelling convention that we have to show the rail side of a platform, but I often find the rear view just as interesting, with scruffy outbuildings, backyards etc, plus the overgrown bank at the rear of the platform.

Sorry to hear that Osney Town has had to be dismantled, and I regret I never saw it. Those are Arthur Paine Highworth buildings aren't they?

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave

Yes, well spotted. It was based on Highworth although not an exact copy. I think modelling the approach reminds me, at least, of the excitement as a child of approaching the station and anticipating what you were going to see. Pure nostalgia.

Rob

• Like 1

Welcome to our world, what stunning detail, these are real butes, more more more pics please, all the best Andy.

Thank you for the comments Andrew. Others seem to be providing great photos. I never thought micros could be photographed from so many angles.

Regards Rob

Dave, couldn't agree more :)

I do like the usual "platform view" too, but there's something about modelling the "back" of the usual view

Perhaps it conjures up some of the excitement and anticipation of approaching a station?

Hemyock.... now there's something I always fancied basing a layout on..... drool!

Mudmagnet, thanks for posting those great pics :)

However, now I'm even sadder that I never saw Osney Town :(

rcf, please don't dismantle "The Shed" - looking at all the positive comments here,

you would upset a few people! ;)

Cheers again

Marc

The Shed is definitely safe as it is my favourite but I am beginning to feel guilty at dismantling OT. However I do still have the station building and goods shed as they were undamaged when removed. Bude quay is also safe because it gave me the confidence to build OT and to exhibit locally and more importantly my other half would kill me if I touched it because of its history. :no:

Rob

• Like 1