The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Probably worth trying to squeeze platform height to a minimum as well (especially if platform is behind arriving/departing stock) which should help the illusion of making the platform seem longer.

• Like 1

Cheers Rob and Marc for your help.

As you say about buildings placement I am looking at a GWR pagoda building and a oil store only,as you say placing them in the first quater of the platform.

I tried to guestimate the length using a Heljan 47 scale 63 ft or thereabouts as a rule,

However the width was soo confusing to master.

Time for a fresh marking out session.

Hi again,

Of course, dimensions and minimum dimensions are important,

but there were some really tiny halts around too, don't forget......

Let us know how you're getting on....

Cheers

Hi Rob,

I've been getting a lot of inspiration from your photos. Can you advise what you have used for the corrugated buildings - in some pictures it looks like it may be corrugated card?

I have used Slaters corrugated plasticard in 7mm before.

Thanks,

Alan.

Hi Rob,

I've been getting a lot of inspiration from your photos. Can you advise what you have used for the corrugated buildings - in some pictures it looks like it may be corrugated card?

I have used Slaters corrugated plasticard in 7mm before.

Thanks,

Alan.

Hi Alan. Yes well spotted, it is card. You will have noticed that I quite like corrugated iron and I needed a cheap alternative to Slaters. My wife found the card through her crafting, it comes in A4 sheets and is produced by a firm called Paper State and Creative Card, from Park Farm Road, Folkestone CT19 5FH. The card is called Harvest Corduroy Card. I actually got mine at a craft shop in Aberdeen but I expect you can trace them through Google. I don't remember how much it was but there were 5 A4 sheets in the pack which made it a very cheap material.

Rob

Hi Alan. Yes well spotted, it is card. You will have noticed that I quite like corrugated iron and I needed a cheap alternative to Slaters. My wife found the card through her crafting, it comes in A4 sheets and is produced by a firm called Paper State and Creative Card, from Park Farm Road, Folkestone CT19 5FH. The card is called Harvest Corduroy Card. I actually got mine at a craft shop in Aberdeen but I expect you can trace them through Google. I don't remember how much it was but there were 5 A4 sheets in the pack which made it a very cheap material.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that, I'll have a look to see what I can find. It certainly looks effective.

Cheers,

Alan.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that, I'll have a look to see what I can find. It certainly looks effective.

Cheers,

Alan.

I should add that the card is one sided, ie its flat on the back, so you can't over lay them like real corrugated sheets, but it is very easy to use, which I like.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thought I would do a quick up-date as progress slows. I tend to leave things a while and then sometimes something jumps out at you, it may be some more greenery in one area or a little more weathering, but you also get into the area of fiddling if you are not careful.

I have added a few details, people and station lamps, and also finished the presentation side. This just needs the drapes which I have bought the material for, and have passed it to my seamstress. Hope she doesn't read this!

1256354721_Osney023.jpg.e076d7893c6b7b4dfd761c166e4af0d6.jpg

2091992879_Osney026.jpg.afa223b27f83db579fbffa7ddd1722db.jpg

I thought it was about time some rolling stock appeared and I got these shots of an unusual train movement.You get a better view than when it is on its right track coming down from the colliery. You will see the urgent need for some weathering, the one weathered wagon is one I prepared earlier, for Bude Quay, in fact about six years ago. I have added coal to them as a start.

1011889820_Osney027.jpg.9d0db4f8cf310431789adc54795335a6.jpg

818594909_Osney028.jpg.85f38051ea7cc14c04959b62375ad225.jpg

That's about it for the moment. I'm not sure when I will be able to get on with the rest of the weathering and provide further up-dates as real life , as it does, has intervened and my attention may have to be directed elsewhere.

Cheers Rob

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Rob!

Looking forward to seeing this at our exhibition next July in Barnstaple (sorry not subtle plug)!

Osney will go down very well.

You're right though about doing some work and then leaving it for a while before coming back for another look.

I tend to do the same and often take a few photos and have a look on the laptop before gluing down - as 'they' say, the camera never lies!

Also give you another perspective.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Just catching up with you guys who model 7mm scale in a small space - inspired by Marc Smith's article in BRM and his Threads (which led me here!).

I must say that I have seen a lot of small, or minium space, layouts (or whatever the appropriate term is as used by initiates of such these days LOL!!) and many, sadly, whilst clever in concept were, I found, I am sad to have to say, lacking in execution. I have to say though that the standards that you and Marc et al. work to are just superb - inspirational in fact.

Your work is wonderfully realistic and perfectly balanced throughout, totally believable too, just like one walking around a corner and stumbling upon a section of railway, packed in between the buildings, with engines and trains easing their way through the scene - wonderful stuff!!

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

CME

Hi CME

Thanks for the comments especially as they reflect what I am trying to achieve with my layouts, whatever they are called!!. While I am restricted in the size of layout I can build, I want to create something as close to a slice of reality as I can and I spend a lot of time on research to try and find a little piece of real railway history that can be adapted to a small picture without loosing that sense of realism. Often this means leaving out items which you might be tempted to include, to ensure you maintain that feeling that you are looking at a little bit of real life. Its also why I like to base my models on a real location whenever possible, rather than try and re-invent the wheel. I have obviously managed to achieve this in your eyes, so your comments are particularly appreciated.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

Hi CME

Thanks for the comments especially as they reflect what I am trying to achieve with my layouts, whatever they are called!!. While I am restricted in the size of layout I can build, I want to create something as close to a slice of reality as I can and I spend a lot of time on research to try and find a little piece of real railway history that can be adapted to a small picture without loosing that sense of realism. Often this means leaving out items which you might be tempted to include, to ensure you maintain that feeling that you are looking at a little bit of real life. Its also why I like to base my models on a real location whenever possible, rather than try and re-invent the wheel. I have obviously managed to achieve this in your eyes, so your comments are particularly appreciated.

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

You are more than welcome - credit where credit is due - your philosophy sounds bang on!

I/we have a reasonable amount of space (16ft x 2' to 2' 6") for our BLT Down Ampney, yet I dont want it overcrowded, even though we have lots of 'wants' and ideas - less will have to be more, 'implied' off stage facilities are often better - only time will tell if we achieve such.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since my last up-date but the reasons for the slow progress, mentioned in my last report, continue although I have managed to keep the modelling ticking over in the meantime.

I have concentrated on small items which needed doing. For instance when looking at the mineral wagon weathered for Bude Quay I noticed, after six years, that the diagonal white stripe was on the wrong end on one side, but correct on the other. When you see these things they tend to nag at you, well in my case they do :D so I had to put that right. I also got the two wagons out that had crashed to the floor and it turned out the damage wasn't as bad as I had thought. One was my only break van, but the only damage was one running board flapping about in the breeze and it was quite easily repaired. The other was a mineral wagon, another Thee Aitch kit, which was a little more serious, the W iron and springs had sheared and the axle was bent out of shape. After some gentle manipulation I got it straightened and the rest glued up. The result probably wouldn't satisfy a purist but it is now capable of use, bearind in mind it will not be very obvious going down the colliery line behind the station.

I have also weathered the wagons seen in my previous post. I have gone for a general weathering on all as I want them to blend into the overall picture and you would not see any super detailing in any event because of where they appear on the layout. Thats my excuse anyway! I did consider having movable coal loads but as I am lucky enough to have enough wagons to form a full rake and an empty one I decided not to bother. I just need to start weathering the empties. I need three as the fiddle yards will only take a tank loco, three wagons and a break van.

Thats about it for the moment apart from the addition of a few flowers added at strategic points.

2003861893_osney035.jpg.bff91f46e91a7b7e0ef33091d0b4f8ad.jpg

These are the two Three Aitch kits, the left hand one being the damaged one

211651625_osney037.jpg.52e6995c7fb946d5d72549ec12d6de92.jpg

The wagon on the left is a Peco kit and the one on the right a Lionheart wagon.

2020628819_osney032.jpg.b88b562a8488eebd662741a05b85818d.jpg

And finally some flowers!!

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 16

Looking forward to seeing Osney in Barnstaple July 27th 2013 (not-so subtle plug!).

Looking forward to bringing Osney up to Barnstaple in July although its first public outing will be to the Hayle Spring Show in May.

Have just looked through my last post and realised I don't know the difference between my brakes and breaks, must be because I was thinking about broken vans!!

• Like 2

I don't know the difference between my brakes and breaks, must be because I was thinking about broken vans!!

A little before your period, the GW, and many other companies spelled them 'break' on official documentation, and some even had it that way on the van sides.

Funny which details stand out to different people; I love the palisade fencing - the colour and texture is fantastic.

A little before your period, the GW, and many other companies spelled them 'break' on official documentation, and some even had it that way on the van sides.

Funny which details stand out to different people; I love the palisade fencing - the colour and texture is fantastic.

Thanks for the information, you learn something everyday. The beauty of this site. Glad you like the fencing. I cogitated for a long time over how to treat it and was pleased with the end result.

Rob

I've only recently found this thread, and this must be about the tenth time I have looked at it since that moment..... There is something totally fascinating about the layouts on here (apart from the excellent modelling!).

Certainly given me a few ideas and inspirations to get out of a particular rut :)

Glad you like it Mickey. You must be the reason the View counter keeps going up. I can't believe that 4 yards of track can attract so much attention. Thanks everyone for your continued interest.

Rob