The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

On 01/01/2013 at 22:12, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi Rob,

Many thanks - I just wanted to get an overall flavour of the hedge and how it works on the layout.....

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

I have been experimenting with my wife's camera, the first photo is straight forward but the second is a panoramic shot which may or may not work. Fingers crossed.

722107692_osney073.jpg.33b5745bdcb9c70da25312cdb6cddeac.jpg640561367_Osneypanorama.thumb.jpg.2ed5fa431782b8b552c6adf3380928b6.jpg

It worked!

Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 8

Very nice hedge/trees and a method I may well steal for my layout in due course.  Up until now I've used sea foam but I think it might look a bit 'spidery' in O whereas yours have suitable 'bulk'.

When you say "artex" are there any alternatives that would work that you can get in small quantities?  I'm not sure buying a whole bucket would really be a wise investment for a handful of trees...

You could also try using a hot-glue gun

I have seen trees made this way, and the nice thing is,

the bark can be carved after it has cooled down....

Rob, the layout is looking great,

those trees certainly look the part

And although sea moss can look a tad flimsy,

remember there are plenty of trees that look that way in real life.....

Also, that autocoach is looking better too

It's always difficult to tell from photos,

mainly due to colour balancing of the camera, the way the camera is set,

lighting quality, processing, and how the photo is then viewed, and how that monitor is set

... I won't bore you anymore on that ;)

It's also difficult to get an "accurate" colour - esp in the red part of the spectrum

Being at the "far end" od the visual spectrum,

red absorbs all the other colours, and tends to fade quicker....

Also, a pals Dad used to tell me lots of tales of spending time with the Station staff and signalman at Ely in Cardiff

A relative of his worked on both GWR and British railways

He reckoned that they often used whatever paint was to hand...

If they didn't have enough of a certain colour...

... they'd be told to mix in other colours, 'till it looked "about right"

Looking good Rob

Strange how on small layouts, there's still plenty of discussion :)

Happy new year

Marc

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

Hi Rob, Marc, et al.

Thanks for the 'fish-eye' photo, your planting has worked well and doesnt detract from the layout at all - well done you, very nice work!

I like your comments Marc, re the mixing the paint until it looks right, because that is how many of us model - especially railway infrastructure.

In addition when one steps back in time, perhaps imagining being a staff member of a nationaiosled industry (I was - briefly) back in the 1960/70's when, we are told, the world and its peoples were 'less informed', during recession, with a 'make do and mend' approach to life, the 3 day week etc etc. then what would a lonely signalman do, in the middle of nowhere, when 'official' paint was running low - or any basic maintenance required in or around his box (perhaps by this era no longer the signalman's pride and joy)? The answer, improvise, 'make do and mend'....I endeavour to think in such a way when model-making for this/that era.

I am glad to see that Osney has a solution now.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

His trees are amazing when you see them on Pempoul (?) and having got his book a while back I have been looking for an opportunity to try his techniques. They are really quite straight forward but it might take awhile to get results like his.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I've known Gordon for quite a few years (had the pleasure of helping operate Ditchling Green many years ago).

I've still not seen Pempoul in the flesh, but will finally get a chance in March when we are both at Nailsea!

Gordon's scenic methods work very well and he is able to explain these in very easy to read and understand manner.

The overall shot looks good as well.

• Like 2

Hi Rob,

I've known Gordon for quite a few years (had the pleasure of helping operate Ditchling Green many years ago).

I've still not seen Pempoul in the flesh, but will finally get a chance in March when we are both at Nailsea!

Gordon's scenic methods work very well and he is able to explain these in very easy to read and understand manner.

The overall shot looks good as well.

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the Thread Rob, yet Ditchling Green is, and was, a huge inspiration to me (encouraging me to move to 7mm/1ft) and when I first read of such/Gordon's first books I couldnt put 'em down....never got to see Ditchling Green in the flesh though - is is still in existance? You are in for a treat with Pempoul - I viewed it at Shepton Mallett, superb!

Gordon and I exchanged letters re baseboard construction via MRJ letters page - now I have a 'foam' layout of my own, thanks to Marc!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the Thread Rob, yet Ditchling Green is, and was, a huge inspiration to me (encouraging me to move to 7mm/1ft) and when I first read of such/Gordon's first books I couldnt put 'em down....never got to see Ditchling Green in the flesh though - is is still in existance? You are in for a treat with Pempoul - I viewed it at Shepton Mallett, superb!

Gordon and I exchanged letters re baseboard construction via MRJ letters page - now I have a 'foam' layout of my own, thanks to Marc!

ATVB

CME

No problem. Ditchling Green was one of those layouts that inspired me and confirmed in my mind that 0 gauge was the way to go. I managed to see it once. You were lucky to get a chance to operate it Richard. I was able to chat to Gordon in 2007 when he was one of the judges for the Guild's Diorama competition which I had entered with Bude Quay. He told me then that he had sold Ditchling some years before but that his new layout, Pempoul, was nearly ready for its first public appearance.

I have managed to see Pempoul twice, the last time at Guildex, when we went on Sunday morning when it is much quieter. We were able to spend a long time just looking at the detail. Even my wife was moved to take some photos. Its one of those layouts where  a beautifully modelled train moving through the landscape is almost incidental to the quality of the overall layout. You can tell I am a fan! It is at Bristol in a couple of weeks and I would normally try and get there but at the moment that is not possible.

Incidentally Marc I am sure you are correct about the colour of the coach. I have several photos and it is not the same colour in any one! The main thing is that I am now happy with its appearance and can move on to the next item on the 'to do' list. Like you I am also amazed at the interest a small layout can generate. Little did I realise when I made a guest appearance :no: on one of your threads and then started my own that I would now have so many views. I suspect that it is a size of layout that many modellers can cope with and see to a conclusion.

Regards everyone Rob

• Like 3

Incidentally Marc I am sure you are correct about the colour of the coach. I have several photos and it is not the same colour in any one! The main thing is that I am now happy with its appearance and can move on to the next item on the 'to do' list. Like you I am also amazed at the interest a small layout can generate. Little did I realise when I made a guest appearance :no: on one of your threads and then started my own that I would now have so many views. I suspect that it is a size of layout that many modellers can cope with and see to a conclusion.

Regards everyone Rob

Absolutely sir :)

as long as you are happy with it..... that's what matters

The fact that you have made efforts to improve it, means that you are observing

and modifying your modelling

I will also now "hijack" the thread in joining a huge thumbs-up to Gordon Gravetts' modelling

I saw Ditchling Green, in a show in Brunels old Terminus building in Bristol

That was many years back, and it has left an enduring picture in my mind....

It was DG that convinced me to model 7mm, all those years back

though I never actually did anything about it for years ;)

To me, that layout would still stand the test of time today

even though it was Peco track - it was fabulous,

and testament to a consistent, observed, overall approach to modelling

I have seen Pempoul too, and was mightily impressed by it,

Chatting to Gordon & Mrs Gravett at shows over the years

they are inspirational modellers, who readily share their thoughts and ideas / techniques

and do so in a most friendly manner......

I wonder just how many of us who now model 7mm were first inspired by Gordon?

Cheers all

Marc

• Like 5

Absolutely sir :)

as long as you are happy with it..... that's what matters

The fact that you have made efforts to improve it, means that you are observing

and modifying your modelling

I will also now "hijack" the thread in joining a huge thumbs-up to Gordon Gravetts' modelling

I saw Ditchling Green, in a show in Brunels old Terminus building in Bristol

That was many years back, and it has left an enduring picture in my mind....

It was DG that convinced me to model 7mm, all those years back

though I never actually did anything about it for years ;)

To me, that layout would still stand the test of time today

even though it was Peco track - it was fabulous,

and testament to a consistent, observed, overall approach to modelling

I have seen Pempoul too, and was mightily impressed by it,

Chatting to Gordon & Mrs Gravett at shows over the years

they are inspirational modellers, who readily share their thoughts and ideas / techniques

and do so in a most friendly manner......

Cheers all

Marc

+ 1 Marc :yes: :yes:

• RMweb Gold

This is quickly becoming a GG appreciation society!

Seriously though, there are a few truely inspiration layouts (and builders), Ditchling Green (and others) by Gordon fit this description perfectly.

Coming back to the thread though - it's great that each-others layouts provide inspiration and healthy discussions!

I'm glad the see that you are happier with the coach.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I really liked DG, it was a superb layout - just showed what could be done with O Gauge in a small space.

As an aside - Marc you're next to Gordon and Maggie at the forthcoming Yate show on 26 January. (Apologies for the shameless plug)

• Like 1

Thanks to Dave and Kev for their comments and the 'likes'. Not quite what I was expecting as I anticipated more shock and horror as to what a Derby Lightweight was doing on Western territory!!

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Its been a bit quiet at Osney of late. The 'bubble car', shown in my last post, has now been withdrawn from service for further work. The photo was very flattering and disguised a number of problems, poor weathering on one side, wiring from the decoder in full view, glazing coming away from the cab windows, no passengers or crew and worst of all, and very obvious, even to someone like myself who has never counted a rivet in his life, no couplings or vacuum pipes. I have ordered a few items to put right some of these issues and hopefully when it next appears in public, it can be photographed from any angle!

To keep myself amused I decided that further trees would be good as I had thoroughly enjoyed making up the earlier ones. Space as always being at a premium, large oak trees are out but I thought a couple of scrubby hawthorns might be accomodated and the two photos below show the result. Thats it for now.

Regards Rob

579438236_osney077.thumb.jpg.dde883e0b2707279ca6c700dbdb53bc4.jpg1313627375_osney078.thumb.jpg.aee5cd5e393cb859892e27d8ab0ee407.jpg

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 13

Those are superb

Thanks Dave, glad you liked them, I was quite pleased at how they turned out. It is amazing how much wire is used to make even these small trees and how much twisting you have to do. You use the thumb for this and I have been suffering the result. Two days on anti-inflammatories has helped! I don't know how Gordon Gravett manages when he spends thirty hours on one tree, but then he is a lot younger.

Rob

Very nice work on the trees, I need a few myself... would you be able to put a "numptys guide" together for the rest of us to attempt to emulate your work?

Hi Cromptonnut

I'll see what I can come up with, watch this space!

Rob

Hi everyone

Cromptonnut asked whether I would explain how I made my trees, so here goes. Before I start I should explain that I have followed the very detailed methods set out by Gordon Gravett in his book 'Modelling Trees' and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to make a lot of realistic trees.

The main materials needed are shown below:

post-15694-0-69715200-1359804352_thumb.jpg

The florists wire comes in various thicknesses and it is best to use the finest, this is described as 30, what that equates to  I am not sure. It comes in 36cm lengths and cost me £2.60. As a guide I made all three trees and the hedging from one pack. The rubberised horsehair can be otained from various sources and I have shown how this is teased out into a more open formatt. The paste in the jar was made before Christmas and is still usable. I made it up using some spoonfuls of artex powder which I bought in the smallest quantity I could which cost between £3 and £4 and has provided enough to model the New Forest! I added PVA glue and mixed it till I had a paste which can be applied by a stiff brush. I use an old brush meant for oil painting. Finally I added a little black weathering powder to give a better backgound colour. You could use paint. I didn't measure anything but just went on how the mix behaved.

When I made the second lot of trees I added a little water to the paste to moisten it but it was still fine to use after several weeks.

Before starting I would recommend taking a photo of a tree you want to make. You don't have to copy it slavishly but it gives you the general form and appearance of the real thing. Work out the overall size of the tree you want and allowing for any twists and kinks in the branches cut off the required length of the wire. Be sure to allow enough for a 'root' to anchor the tree into the baseboard.

The basic building block is two wires twisted together. It is a good idea to prepare a lot of these. You then gradually build up the branches and trunk, with reference to your photo.

post-15694-0-91789800-1359805612_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-10862100-1359805627_thumb.jpg

When you have the basic tree shape, coat the whole thing with the paste, apart from the 'root' and then leave to dry. I gave it 24 hours to be sure. At this stage you may want to touch up areas where you can still see the wire or where you want to add extra thickening. Next comes the messy part. Tease out small pieces of horsehair and after painting the branches with pva glue arrange the pieces on the wire. You can build this up gradually to gain the effect you want and I also use a lot of firm hold hair spray. Although the wire is coated with the paste, because of its constituents it can still be bent with care but  its probably best to do this before adding the horsehair. When dry the horsehair is quite firm and I trimmed off any stray bits to get the shape I wanted.

I then sprayed the whole thing with Humbrol acrylic drab olive green paint. When dry I added a little Railmatch sleeper grime to the main trunk!

On most of the trees I used a fine leaf scatter which I got from www.treemendousmodels.co.uk but there are others you could use. The ivy is from www.internationalmodels.net and comes as a net which you can cut or pull apart. This was probably the most expensive single item I used but I didn't need very much.

I glued the ivy with pva but spayed the branches where I wanted leaves with hair spray and then used the scatter and built it up with layers of hair spray and more scatter.

Thats really about it. When everything was dry I popped them into pre drilled holes in the baseboard.

The two hawthorns were treated slightly differently, the one next to the large tree had extra ivy attached as I wanted the appearance of a tree engulfed by ivy and it doen't have any scatter for leaves, mainly because I ran out and didn't want to get any more! But I think It works quite well in spite of that.

The photos I posted earlier when I first made the large tree and hedge may also help although when making the hedge I attached the horsehair to the wire before spraying with paint whereas now I would wait until the horsehair is attached before spraying with paint.

All very straightforward and I hope this helps. Bear in mind that these were the first trees I had made this way, so it can't be difficult

Regards Rob

• Like 6

Just ordered some florists wire from Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270909169011?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D270909169011%26_rdc%3D1

I already have some Woodland Scenics "poly fibre" which isn't as coarse as your rubberised horsehair but should do the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodland-Scenics-FP178-Poly-Fiber-Green-/380530999027?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item58996a3ef3

I already also have some Polak leaves - http://www.allscalesmodels.com/shop/Foliage

Just need to get some Artex powder from the DIY shop round the corner, and I'll let you know what I come up with....

Just ordered some florists wire from Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270909169011?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D270909169011%26_rdc%3D1

I already have some Woodland Scenics "poly fibre" which isn't as coarse as your rubberised horsehair but should do the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodland-Scenics-FP178-Poly-Fiber-Green-/380530999027?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item58996a3ef3

I already also have some Polak leaves - http://www.allscalesmodels.com/shop/Foliage

Just need to get some Artex powder from the DIY shop round the corner, and I'll let you know what I come up with....

I'll look forward to that, and thanks for the correction Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Good instructions Rob.

I've used a similar method starting with twisted wire, but I've used GreenScene Flexi-bark (similar to your home-made bark), but does need to be painted as required.

Rather than using horsehair, I've used the fibre from GreenScene, but also teased wool - very similar to the GreenScene product. The wool has been treated and I bought a couple of small bags from a woolen mill in Wales, which should last for quite a few trees. I also use the same teased out considerably for bushes.