The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Thanks Barnaby, hopefully someone will explain as others still seem to be able to add text to photos.

Thanks Ray, it was good to see you and Hounslow Sidings. We are looking forward to bringing The Shed to Barnstaple in July.

Regards Rob

• 4 weeks later...

There are definite signs of progress down at Osney Town. All the buildings along the backscene are virtually complete although nothing is stuck down as yet to allow for minor adjustments or changes of mind. The next step is the retaining wall at the end of the platform road and then to paint the existing walling to match the stonework on the new buildings and finally for that phase of the re-build the boundary wall along the rear of the buildings. Oh yes, and the road surface on the station approach, the list gets longer but I am pleased with the way things have gone so far, and it will be good to get on to the foreground and the station proper. Finally some photos of the recent work, sorry that they are all together at the end but I still can't place them in the text and comment on individual photos as I would like!

regards to all those who follow this saga, Rob

009.JPG.f54e0a727fad36776621c45b3cf1ed6c.JPG

post-15694-0-15976600-1433933998_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-72034900-1433934022_thumb.jpg

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 13

Alterations are beginning to get a little momentum just as the weather improves and there will no doubt be requests to go to the beach, did I say that I live in the far south-west, and comments about the need to top up the tan!! Just a couple of photos to show progress, the first showing the old walling with its undercoat and the second after treatment. At least all the stonework now comes from the same local quarry. At this rate it may all be ready for Barnstaple next year, if we get invited again! Just noticed that there is still an area of the old walling in the photos but this will all be buried under new earthworks and vegetation in due course.

Rob

750249932_001(8).JPG.97cc89d788b816d74ba8ced2d08f5f29.JPG909175701_002(7).JPG.2c497f489e4c4a8380f98ccbd345af5c.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Alterations are beginning to get a little momentum just as the weather improves and there will no doubt be requests to go to the beach, did I say that I live in the far south-west, and comments about the need to top up the tan!! Just a couple of photos to show progress, the first showing the old walling with its undercoat and the second after treatment. At least all the stonework now comes from the same local quarry. At this rate it may all be ready for Barnstaple next year, if we get invited again! Just noticed that there is still an area of the old walling in the photos but this will all be buried under new earthworks and vegetation in due course.

Rob

What do you mean "if invited to Barnstaple" next year!

You are always welcome Rob!

Anyway, in the process of booking the church for next year and wanted to add Osney to the list for next year!

Great progress and looking great!

Look forward to seeing you with "The Shed" in a few weeks!

That's a date then Richard! I can't say I'm all packed up and all ready to go for next month but then it is a micro layout and easy to pack, just need to blow the dust off. Looking forward to an enjoyable day.

Regards Rob 

Edited by rcf
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a few photos to illustrate some recent work.

116933517_001(9).JPG.f61ffdc703ce019bdaced0be90343f4e.JPG1473203924_002(8).JPG.a1ace6f2196cc510680bf7c09d5a36c8.JPG1186189389_003(6).JPG.8b96d8c234ad9d132575dc18bfab0c86.JPG

I have finally discovered how to add photos into the text. I know Barnaby,you were interested in this. I got the answer from Dmudriver's thread on his West Kirby thread on the 7mm topics. I would like to provide a link but my computer skills aren't up to it. The answer was actually provided by Jintyman, so many thanks to him if he reads this.

Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Bottom left hand corner click on change theme and set to RMweb2013 that seemed to work for me.

I like the truck with the ladder in the back.

Don

Thanks for that Don. That's even simpler. Pleased you like the truck, originally seen on Bude Quay.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Rob,

I loved Osney Town, the Loco shed and your other micro's too. In fact Osney Town made me review the Barry Norman plan for Dursley, and I have attempted to create something similar, with a heavy leaning towards OT but including a few more points. My efforts are in OO gauge, but I really love the attention to detail and the way in which you "craft" your scenery. Your latest project is coming along beautifully, everything feels right, and when you know that you have achieved that then clearly you're on the right track! My layout has laid dormant for a while, that's just me unfortunately, but I can only thank you for the inspiration that you have given me, and the enjoyment of watching everything come together so nicely. If/when I complete mine, I'll post a few pictures, although it's never going to be on the same level or as good as other layouts, but I must thank you for sharing your layout with us.

Mark

Edited by Linners

Hi Mark,

I've only just seen your comments as we have been in Barnstaple for the weekend exhibiting The Shed but thank you for your kind words and I'm pleased that the layout has provided some inspiration for you.  When I first saw pictures of Dursley I just knew it had all the features that I wanted in my layout although I had to use some artistic licence to achieve the look I wanted. I thought I was doing the right thing when I broke up the original Osney Town but time showed me that  it was still a good concept for a working diorama of the type I build, hence Osney Town II arising from the ashes.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Progress has been desperately slow of late down Osney way but progress there has been. Since my last post I have taken 'The Shed' to another exhibition, which generated another invitation to exhibit it in November, but have been mainly involved in making preparations for a major extension on the house. Work should have begun by now but delays on the builders last job have put everything back which although taking the build into the winter months has at least allowed me the opportunity to give Osney some attention.

Work has started on the platform with stonework being added to the viewing side using modelling clay and the track side, which is not actually visible, has been covered in plastic stonework. A bit of a cheat but who will know.

SAM_0062.JPG.7bf512b97a063b347d3903f3fc6b4075.JPG

Some paving has been put on the platform edging and in front of the station building

SAM_0063.JPG.afded4bb981b68bbc14ba64e25880600.JPGSAM_0064.JPG.4024126bfd71ed31b359e3b0c8c247fb.JPGSAM_0065.JPG.8a7f3663965757c6fe061bf7eb7af699.JPG

Ignore the fencing which has just been placed on the platform, as this is just there to help me assess the emerging picture.

I doubt whether there will much more to post for a while but I do need to push on, if possible, as I have a couple of invitations to exhibit OT next year, luckily not until later in the year!

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 11

Progress has been desperately slow of late down Osney way but progress there has been. Since my last post I have taken 'The Shed' to another exhibition, which generated another invitation to exhibit it in November, but have been mainly involved in making preparations for a major extension on the house. Work should have begun by now but delays on the builders last job have put everything back which although taking the build into the winter months has at least allowed me the opportunity to give Osney some attention.

Work has started on the platform with stonework being added to the viewing side using modelling clay and the track side, which is not actually visible, has been covered in plastic stonework. A bit of a cheat but who will know.

attachicon.gifSAM_0062.JPG

Some paving has been put on the platform edging and in front of the station building

attachicon.gifSAM_0063.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0064.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0065.JPG

Ignore the fencing which has just been placed on the platform, as this is just there to help me assess the emerging picture.

I doubt whether there will much more to post for a while but I do need to push on, if possible, as I have a couple of invitations to exhibit OT next year, luckily not until later in the year!

Regards Rob

Nice work as always Rob!

Kindest,

CME

Hi Rob

Looking good as always, keep up the good work.

Thanks for that Ray. It gets frustrating at times not to be able to get on with things as quickly as you would like, particularly when you can picture what you want to do. However, the reasons for the lack of progress have there compensations, as you can imagine, so I mustn't complain!

Regards Rob

• 2 weeks later...

When I said there would be little to report for a while I hadn't realised that waiting for builders to appear  is a bit like waiting for paint to dry, but the good news is that is it does give you time to do a little modelling! I have begun work on the platform which is seen in the first photo. This was basically an undercoat of the two platform halves:

SAM_0067.JPG.b832c0b6e68cfd71a012982eed9f658b.JPG

The next two photos show the platform in place with the final paint finish. At the moment everything is just loosely placed to see what it looks like. When finally fixed down it will be bedded in properly to get rid of the gaps at the base, the largest of which is caused by the new platform straddling the old track bed and nothing to do with my poor workmanship, as if. Ignore the fencing, I forgot it was still there.

SAM_0069.JPG.2e7a7b67e20bc3a339bbadc0f7549d9d.JPGSAM_0070.JPG.b3e8912c787d6eb5043d69eb647d2c67.JPG

Finally a shot of a train actually returning to Osney Town, not exactly the start of the new service, more a question of checking clearances. Something I didn't do once on a much earlier layout and only discovered the problem after a major derailment at a loading dock. Something you don't do again! This time I won't make any predictions about future progress.

SAM_0071.JPG.d2a0f8b28f1c7265d1485af5f1541844.JPG

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 6

Hi Tony,

Slaters do something similar in different scales and sizes...

ATVB

CME

Hi Tony,

Yes, CME is right, these came from Slaters many years ago but they still do them as Moulded Alphabets. Pleased you like OT.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It's been a long six months since I last posted, so I thought it about time I up-dated everyone on progress, or rather reasons for lack of same. When I last posted I was waiting for builders to arrive, which they duly did and spent the next few months knocking things down and then re-building them, all through the worst of the weather. We now have a lovely new en-suite bedroom and enlarged garage and since completion we have been working our way round the house decorating and trying to put two houses into one, and as everyone knows, two into one won't go, hence many visits to the local tip and charity shops! At least we can now see the garage floor and soon we may be able to get into it.

You would think that with a new enlarged garage and equally large new room that there would be increased room for railway related activities but sadly that is not the case and I am now relegated to the smallest room in the house, so I am now definitely the builder of micro layouts, ideally ones which stack on top of each other. The only thing I managed to progress before work ceased was fixing the platform and bedding it in. No pictures at the moment, maybe when I can find where I put my camera, but I hope to get back to modelling very soon so that I can get OT finished in time for its next public outing.

Regards to all, Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1