The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

It's been a long six months since I last posted, so I thought it about time I up-dated everyone on progress, or rather reasons for lack of same. When I last posted I was waiting for builders to arrive, which they duly did and spent the next few months knocking things down and then re-building them, all through the worst of the weather. We now have a lovely new en-suite bedroom and enlarged garage and since completion we have been working our way round the house decorating and trying to put two houses into one, and as everyone knows, two into one won't go, hence many visits to the local tip and charity shops! At least we can now see the garage floor and soon we may be able to get into it.

You would think that with a new enlarged garage and equally large new room that there would be increased room for railway related activities but sadly that is not the case and I am now relegated to the smallest room in the house, so I am now definitely the builder of micro layouts, ideally ones which stack on top of each other. The only thing I managed to progress before work ceased was fixing the platform and bedding it in. No pictures at the moment, maybe when I can find where I put my camera, but I hope to get back to modelling very soon so that I can get OT finished in time for its next public outing.

Regards to all, Rob

Hi Rob,

Nice to see you Posting!

Life sounds like its been challenging and yet, although you may be more confined with model-making space, micro layouts, as we know, can be very enjoyable and very therapeutic - 'stacking' them etc is a great idea!

Our own relatively humble layout, Down Ampney, with life challenges getting in the way (a myriad of them - it's like the spinning plates trick!), seems to be taking an age to progress and I have to say that my purchasing Marc Smith's layout (now known as Draycott) has been a wonderful distraction at times, even if I dont always get to run trains on the layout, fettling and even just posing and photographing models, brings much pleasure - a case of the journey is sometimes more important than the destination!?

I hear some sneer at micro-layout (brings to mind Marc's Poynton Sneer Sidings layout - a great name and a wonderful micro-layout) and whilst I love 'roundy roundy' layouts such as Stoke Summit, Crewchester (and many others - too numerous to list), if bitten by the Gauge O bug and/or tight on space, surely a working diorama, a layout of any size, is preferable to none at all, especially if a few hours of shunting puzzle fun can be had into the bargain (not to mention the benefits of completing a manageable, cost effective, layout relatively quickly etc etc etc).

More strength to your elbow, please keep Posting!

Kindest regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Hi Rob,

Nice to see you Posting!

Life sounds like its been challenging and yet, although you may be more confined with model-making space, micro layouts, as we know, can be very enjoyable and very therapeutic - 'stacking' them etc is a great idea!

Our own relatively humble layout, Down Ampney, with life challenges getting in the way (a myriad of them - it's like the spinning plates trick!), seems to be taking an age to progress and I have to say that my purchasing Marc Smith's layout (now known as Draycott) has been a wonderful distraction at times, even if I dont always get to run trains on the layout, fettling and even just posing and photographing models, brings much pleasure - a case of the journey is sometimes more important than the destination!?

I hear some sneer at micro-layout (brings to mind Marc's Poynton Sneer Sidings layout - a great name and a wonderful micro-layout) and whilst I love 'roundy roundy' layouts such as Stoke Summit, Crewchester (and many others - too numerous to list), if bitten by the Gauge O bug and/or tight on space, surely a working diorama, a layout of any size, is preferable to none at all, especially if a few hours of shunting puzzle fun can be had into the bargain (not to mention the benefits of completing a manageable, cost effective, layout relatively quickly etc etc etc).

More strength to your elbow, please keep Posting!

Kindest regards,

CME

Hi CME

Good to hear from you. I am a great fan of Marc's work and he was instrumental in getting me posting on here in the first place. It is always interesting at exhibitions watching people's reaction to my layouts, some just walk straight past with barely a glance while others will stop and spend an amazing amount of time looking at the detail because it certainly isn't the movement which attracts them, as there is very little of that! As you say, the fact that you build micro layouts doesn't mean you can't appreciate a good 'roundy roundy' layout, in what ever scale, but I have spent many happy moments just watching O gauge layouts like Holiday Haunts, Dainton Bank (?) and, my personal favourite, Bucks Hill, and thinking if only.

The good news is I have found the camera, the bad news is I can't find the lead to connect to the computer to download photos. Arrgh!!

Regards Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi CME

Good to hear from you. I am a great fan of Marc's work and he was instrumental in getting me posting on here in the first place. It is always interesting at exhibitions watching people's reaction to my layouts, some just walk straight past with barely a glance while others will stop and spend an amazing amount of time looking at the detail because it certainly isn't the movement which attracts them, as there is very little of that! As you say, the fact that you build micro layouts doesn't mean you can't appreciate a good 'roundy roundy' layout, in what ever scale, but I have spent many happy moments just watching O gauge layouts like Holiday Haunts, Dainton Bank (?) and, my personal favourite, Bucks Hill, and thinking if only.

The good news is I have found the camera, the bad news is I can't find the lead to connect to the computer to download photos. Arrgh!!

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

Bless you...I nearly mentioned Bucks Hill too!

Looking forward to seeing your photos when youve found the lead!

Kindest,

CME

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, at last some positive progress at Osney Town. As my working conditions are more restricted now I can only work on one board at a time so have been concentrating on the right hand board, the south end of the station. This is now virtually complete, maybe some slight weathering and a little more vegetation in places but otherwise I am quite pleased with the end result.

SAM_0079.JPG.86f6799dd49da4c4d6cc70c4e44b4754.JPG

I thought you mind like to see the new workshop first! The following sequence shows various stages in the recent work

SAM_0086.JPG.726e1684759c3773c80a32863226ed5f.JPGSAM_0085.JPG.31a8d5a621eeb736002930a081e6f5f1.JPGSAM_0086.JPG.88e6513b2ba9b23e29721ed4203d0490.JPGSAM_0088.JPG.79b505aa1446760f4283196c0b43ae97.JPGSAM_0089.JPG.f58b34552a67e7923b6db391d3f367cd.JPG

I have been spurred on by the thought that the first outing for OT is in July, which initially seemed a long way off but is now rapidly approaching, and I have also received another invitation to exhibit, so now have three reasons to complete fairly quickly.

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 12

Nice photos Rob. I look forward to seing this at some time.

Don

Hi Don,

OT will be at Barnstaple for their show in July so maybe I will see you there.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob.

I sèe you are making great progress. Can't wait to see it at Barnstaple show.

Hi Ray, just caught up with your comment for which thank you. There has been more progress since my last post but I have been concentrating on the layout and not taking any photos as the deadline of Barnstaple approaches too quickly!. We are off for a mini break later but hopefully will get some up to date photos out later. Will see you soon.

Regards Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Work has now progressed to the point where I think I am almost there, although there are always small details that can be added, a little rust here and there and some coal dust, maybe. I did briefly look at the possibility of adding a mirror at the end of the siding and under the bridge. This has been done very effectively elsewhere but I was unable to get it to work to my satisfaction. From some angles it looked good but if you looked from other directions you could see the reflection of the platform which destroyed the illusion, at least for me. I now need to get the fiddle yard altered from the one which was used on the layout in its previous outing as Osney and then we will be ready for our first public outing. I think! So a few photos to show the present position:

SAM_0090.JPG.b8dcdac23e57eaae1ef0e2890d02b383.JPGSAM_0096.JPG.243b1aec777e5e7febe16e4ee846c1c2.JPGSAM_0099.JPG.62fe5a75e8af42591e58c79aef9c4024.JPGSAM_0100.JPG.0f593f39e49206f2769ad16de7b03763.JPGSAM_0101.JPG.f9af78bee00d671727f9b3b873969f9a.JPGSAM_0102.JPG.6c25cb94554e14b07163a80f12dd6645.JPGSAM_0103.JPG.865bc7dad79b4f7caca32b7fa0149f30.JPGSAM_0105.JPG.a7f5ae4212f6282ad48c3e2f8783fbad.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

IF you wanted to do the mirror trick you need to have the platform and half the building abutting the mirror so it ends up looking twice as long. Personall I think it is fine as it is. Lovely little layout.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

Well trains are at last running back into Osney Town after a lengthy period of branch closure for much needed maintenance and attached are some photos taken on a recent visit. In reality, I have been checking everything works for the layouts first public outing to Barnstaple at the end of this month. Happily it all works after some cleaning and light oiling, and the board and fascia have also received a coat of paint to match the new look of the layout, and so, to quote my partner, dunners!

SAM_0107.JPG.def7c37844b716bb5bb67e43d79471d0.JPGSAM_0109.JPG.825a7b28b192ec6860ad767ca961f82b.JPGSAM_0110.JPG.baf0d0a389daf6b503787ecccdfd64a9.JPGSAM_0111.JPG.d723282b058ec4cdee7213794c70ec27.JPG

Regards to all, Rob

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Everyone

Well trains are at last running back into Osney Town after a lengthy period of branch closure for much needed maintenance and attached are some photos taken on a recent visit. In reality, I have been checking everything works for the layouts first public outing to Barnstaple at the end of this month. Happily it all works after some cleaning and light oiling, and the board and fascia have also received a coat of paint to match the new look of the layout, and so, to quote my partner, dunners!

attachicon.gifSAM_0106.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0107.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0108.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0109.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0110.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0111.JPG

Regards to all, Rob

Hi Rob,

Just wonderful - lovely! - I do like railways whereby the locos and stock have to pick their way through the buildings.

The juxtaposition of the buildings is superb and adds so much realism, yet when the trains are 'on stage' it all just comes alive!

I would love to see the layout in our neck of the woods sometime too.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Great layout hopefully I should be coming to Barnstaple be nice to see it in the flesh

Hi Spence, do introduce yourself if you get to Barnstaple. Its always good to put a face to those posting on this topic.

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

Just wonderful - lovely! - I do like railways whereby the locos and stock have to pick their way through the buildings.

The juxtaposition of the buildings is superb and adds so much realism, yet when the trains are 'on stage' it all just comes alive!

I would love to see the layout in our neck of the woods sometime too.

ATVB

CME

Thanks CME for the comments. I have always loved the way railways sit in the urban landscape and the glimpses you get between the buildings. It is that idea that drew me back to re-creating OT after I broke up the original and I am pleased with the result. I don't know what part of the world you are in, but living as I do in the deepest south-west, it is a bit of an expedition to anywhere east of Devon!

Regards Rob

Thanks CME for the comments. I have always loved the way railways sit in the urban landscape and the glimpses you get between the buildings. It is that idea that drew me back to re-creating OT after I broke up the original and I am pleased with the result. I don't know what part of the world you are in, but living as I do in the deepest south-west, it is a bit of an expedition to anywhere east of Devon!

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

I agree and you have captured the atmosphere so well.

BTW I live in North Wilts.

Kindest regards,

CME

Hello Rob,

I too expect to be at the Barnstaple exhibition on 30th July, as this is not too far from me (I live in Launceston). Looking forward to seeing 'Osney Town' again - I last admired it in its previous format at the Cambourne show about 5 years ago. So see you there!

Edited by Phil Copleston

Hello,

I too expect to be at the Barnstaple exhibition on 30th July, as this is not too far from me (I live in Launceston). Looking forward to seeing 'Osney Town' again - I last admired it in its previous format at the Cambourne show about 5 years ago. So see you there!

Hope to see you there Phil. I think Camborne was probably the first outing for the original OT.

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob.

Looking forward seeing you and Osney Town at Barnstaple show on Saturday.  Will you be going to the meal after?   

Hi Ray,

We are all packed up and ready to go tomorrow afternoon. Really looking forward to the day, as always. Sadly this year we will not be staying for the meal but heading for home straight after the show, as we have a lot of things going on at the moment and need to get back.

Regards Rob

• RMweb Gold

Sadly I will not be at the show to see this nor to support our club layout, as we are working on the roof and one cannot rely on a tarpaulin should the wind get up. Do have a good show.

Don

I will not be going this year as we have family commitments and cannot get out of I was looking forward to coming as I have Saturday off hope you all have a good day.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Everything has been very quiet down Osney way since my last post, other than outings to Barnstaple, Hayle and yesterday the Cornwall Model Railway Exhibition at Redruth organised by the Cornwall O Gauge Group. This was a show to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the setting up of the Group and they had organised a much larger show than they have previously done. A most enjoyable day and an opportunity to see some familiar faces. I managed to take a few photos of OT at the show before things got to busy.

Regards Rob

SAM_0143.JPG.0afa22cc6452ea5c48084e7e187bd8ae.JPGSAM_0147.JPG.674d8fd618f04e1140c981119600f769.JPGSAM_0149.JPG.9ef0330eceef2be17060456211f52663.JPGSAM_0152.JPG.f8a7198abb54af01fe3151d4d7b80f19.JPGSAM_0154.JPG.6fff435f6756ebb5ee01ce22cb623cbb.JPGSAM_0155.JPG.d2af00095458c356e4d9f99d20a55a96.JPGSAM_0156.JPG.10d821d73c0b41d894d7c0d4e978533d.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1