The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

• 2 weeks later...

Osney Station Mark 3, but this is the real thing or at least the early stages. I should really be doing the basics, like laying track but the urge to build something was too strong. My reasoning is that the station building will be the main focus of the layout, so I need to make sure that it works in the overall scheme of things.

Rob

SAM_0279.JPG.31f9e7e3b747fdf28181625eeef198be.JPGSAM_0280.JPG.bd521c0ada1bd50eb18edfefd9a3bb5f.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add Photos
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Despite a break to enjoy the bank holiday weather there has been a little progress down Osney way. The station shell is now complete and I will sit back for a while to think about the cladding. There will be stonework involved, but the question is how much. The real building was part stone and part blockwork but I am inclined to do all stonework apart from the single storey section. The main section of the platform is done although not yet stuck down. Again I will be doing stonework on the platform face which is why the edge is set back slightly.

I really must get on with the trackwork but I keep procrastinating as it involves soldering wires to rails which is my least favourite job as in my experience it seldom goes smoothly. In the meantime some photos of progress.

Rob

SAM_0290.JPG.44d00870c81d6cd88c327e19f3c853fe.JPGSAM_0291.JPG.4dd11420d6b59211a1f0346dae073ae1.JPGSAM_0292.JPG.dce13597123e961138711ccc13ee1116.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add Photos
  • Like 6

Despite a break to enjoy the bank holiday weather there has been a little progress down Osney way. The station shell is now complete and I will sit back for a while to think about the cladding. There will be stonework involved, but the question is how much. The real building was part stone and part blockwork but I am inclined to do all stonework apart from the single storey section. The main section of the platform is done although not yet stuck down. Again I will be doing stonework on the platform face which is why the edge is set back slightly.

I really must get on with the trackwork but I keep procrastinating as it involves soldering wires to rails which is my least favourite job as in my experience it seldom goes smoothly. In the meantime some photos of progress.

Rob

attachicon.gifSAM_0290.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0291.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0292.JPG

Nice work!

Have you considered IR or RC?

Kind regards,

CME

Nice work!

Have you considered IR or RC?

Kind regards,

CME

You've lost me there CME, I would consider it if I knew what it was!!

Regards Rob

Infra Red or Remote Control.

You can only have about 4 wires to attach - you could always solder the wire to the fishplate instead of the rail.  

Thanks Stu, its obvious when you know! It sounds as though it could be more complicated than soldering. You know me, I like to keep it simple. I'm probably imagining problems where there aren't any. Let's face it, I'm not exactly faced with a complex layout. It's only two straight, short sections of track. How difficult can that be. I'll let you know!

Rob

You've lost me there CME, I would consider it if I knew what it was!!

Regards Rob

Sorry Rob, I thought those were universally known now-Radio Control and Infra Red....

You can only have about 4 wires to attach - you could always solder the wire to the fishplate instead of the rail.

I was going to suggest the same, for indoor layouts, soldering to fishplates is easier than soldering to rail, using a bit of mild liquid flux and prior a fibreglass pens helps to clean up too.

RC fitment can be fairly simple-depending on loco and requirements, each to their own though.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Than

Sorry Rob, I thought those were universally known now-Radio Control and Infra Red.... I was going to suggest the same, for indoor layouts, soldering to fishplates is easier than soldering to rail, using a bit of mild liquid flux and prior a fibreglass pens helps to clean up too.

RC fitment can be fairly simple-depending on loco and requirements, each to their own though.

ATVB

CME

Thanks CME. If I had thought about it a bit longer it I might have got there eventually. I like the idea of soldering to the fishplates though and will give that a go, thanks to Stu for that suggestion as well.

Regards Rob

You can only have about 4 wires to attach - you could always solder the wire to the fishplate instead of the rail.

Hi Rob.

I would not rely on the fishplate connection, I always solder my wires under the rail and dropers on each length of track.

It is possible and as I implied before, best practice is for a BUS with droppers, but let me give you an example.

Track, 70', laid three years ago, in a garden, only connections? Fishplates, lubricated with a WD40 type product. A quick clean of railheads and an O gauge loco will run back and forth on low power (H&M Duette) without a falter. If wiring isnt someone's forte, then it can be made 'K.I.S.S'. The WD40 is the key, it lubs the FPs, corrosion/resistance proofs them and provides additional electrical continuity.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It can be easier to solder pieces of wire to the underside of the rails before laying it can be done with the track upside down on the bench. When laying mark where the wires have been attached and then drill the holes feeding the wire through as you lay it. 

This is also a great help on a permenant loft layout where the sloping ceiling prevents you getting your head over the track. I resorted to soldering to  the far sides of the rail using a mirror which needs a bit of practice. Had I thought of soldering the wires before laying it would have been much easier.

The SB looks good.

Don 

• Like 2

A successful morning soldering connections for the layout. Thanks to everyone for their advice which encouraged me to get rid of the 'negative waves' coming out of my head. I adopted Don's idea of soldering on to the upturned track and it worked well. Thank you Don, I also read somewhere of the need to have a sufficiently high rated soldering iron, so a closing down sale of a national electrical store just round the corner from here enabled me to buy a better iron than I had previously used. Altogether a better experience, so back to the modelling.

regards to all, Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

so a closing down sale of a national electrical store just round the corner from here enabled me to buy a better iron than I had previously used.

That's a good idea !!  Might need to pop in there on the way home.

A successful morning soldering connections for the layout. Thanks to everyone for their advice which encouraged me to get rid of the 'negative waves' coming out of my head. I adopted Don's idea of soldering on to the upturned track and it worked well. Thank you Don, I also read somewhere of the need to have a sufficiently high rated soldering iron, so a closing down sale of a national electrical store just round the corner from here enabled me to buy a better iron than I had previously used. Altogether a better experience, so back to the modelling.

regards to all, Rob

Better to use a bigger, hotter iron fast than a small colder iron slow!

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progresss to report. The shell of the engine shed is complete although I spent a lot of time working out what the interior would look like through the windows only to discover that once the roof was on there is no way you can see into the shed from the viewing height when operational. Never mind. Work has also started on the goods shed which you can see in the attached photos. I am gradually departing from the original as I am more concerned to create a satisfying picture, so I am probably going to move the coal wharf adjacent to the goods shed and I have also slightly shortened the goods siding. Overall I think this will give a better flow to the picture, which for me is what it is all about rather than trying to copy the original in every detail. Not that I have room for that anyway.

Half term coming up so I'm unlikely to make much more progress for a while.

Rob

SAM_0294.JPG.1d7a9ba92a24153641bf7b4756ac803c.JPGSAM_0295.JPG.d1b388820b42cd3cc936439990581f41.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add Photos
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

As predicted progress has been slow but during half term I allowed myself to be talked into agreeing to exhibit the layout at a local show in December. When I came home and realized how much there was to do I had a slight touch of panic. I'm calmer now but there is still a lot to do! Track is now wired up beneath the board and a loco has actually moved on both tracks which represents progress. The latest pictures show the present position, the shell of the goods shed is finished and the foundations for the loading bank have been cut but not yet fixed.  The next major job will be to start ballasting the track, a tedious job but one I normally enjoy.

Rob

SAM_0297.JPG.679676bdbfe6398f91bb2bad5dc4d457.JPGSAM_0298.JPG.77646f38f5ec62abd79355bf734c1d17.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

One of the advantages of building small layouts is that you can plan, construct and finish within a realistic time scale. New Osney is the first layout I have built from scratch for several years as previous efforts have involved some degree of re-building earllier layouts, so I had forgotten the fun of being presented with a blank canvas and the project management involved. By that I mean making sure you don't go down one avenue to quickly and then realise you can't get at something you should have completed first. So far I think I have managed to avoid any pitfalls but there is still plenty of time!

I have, however, now got to that stage when you can suddenly see the finished picture in your mind's eye and can see how those areas you were unsure about now fall into place. The only down side to this is that I now want to get on faster and faster to see the picture emerge. The main building blocks are now in place and the latest photos show how work has progressed, including the track ballast which has received its first paint job, although there will be much detailing to be done later.

No work this weekend as I am off to Plymouth to exhibit The Shed and then there is the siren call of sun, sea and sand. Its a hard life.

SAM_0300.JPG.85da1f4f4776d86f9453fc80242e1e87.JPGSAM_0301.JPG.f072b98d911fb12bd046a8c556ebcce7.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add photos
  • Like 8

Hello 

Being cheeky , don't suppose  we could have more photos of the shed from this weekend .

Cheers 

Hi Benjamin

Not cheeky at all. Sadly I am a bit of a one man band at shows and there is never a lot of time for me to take photos, but if you want to see some more pictures, there is a separate layout topic on here entitled The Shed.

Rob