The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Morning Rob 

Thought that , can find the rest of your layouts ( which i very much admire ) but cannot find much info on " The Shed "  

Thanks for replying , hoping all is going well at the show .

Like they said at school " Must try harder " will do some more trawling now 

Cracking layout .

Cheers Rob  

Morning Rob 

Thought that , can find the rest of your layouts ( which i very much admire ) but cannot find much info on " The Shed "  

Thanks for replying , hoping all is going well at the show .

Like they said at school " Must try harder " will do some more trawling now 

Cracking layout .

Cheers Rob  

Just realized, it's currently lurking at the bottom of page 3! Layouts that is.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on progress illustrated with a couple of very poor quality photos. Work has continued on the platform with stonework scribed in das modelling clay and individually cut paving. Still work to do though. Can someone tell me whether it would have been working practice to have a white painted edge to a remote rural platform in the fifties. Photographs from the period seem to suggest it was 'optional' and I would rather not include it, if it is not essential, on my rather run down rural backwater.

SAM_0303.JPG.dae3f193537ad9d81757eb722edb929e.JPGSAM_0302.JPG.63ddad4cfe7c7b2d8e46217a14fc4178.JPGSAM_0302.JPG.63ddad4cfe7c7b2d8e46217a14fc4178.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add Photos
  • Like 9

I was checking this out for the periods I am modelling in the Northern Highlands. There is some information in this topic here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46858-questions-about-white-lines-on-platform-edges-and-scale-scenes-platform-kit/ It would seem they were introduced during WW2 (someone thought earlier)? Our history society has some photos from during WW2 with servicemen boarding troop trains so will check to see if platform edge is visible. Photos from 1960s and 1970s have a white dashed line for winter visibility. I assume old period photographs of the area you are modelling might be your best bet for reference.

Marlyn

Edited by Marly51

I was checking this out for the periods I am modelling in the Northern Highlands. There is some information in this topic here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46858-questions-about-white-lines-on-platform-edges-and-scale-scenes-platform-kit/ It would seem they were introduced during WW2 (someone thought earlier)? Our history society has some photos from during WW2 with servicemen boarding troop trains so will check to see if platform edge is visible. Photos from 1960s and 1970s have a white dashed line for winter visibility. I assume old period photographs of the area you are modelling might be your best bet for reference.

Marlyn

Thanks for that link Marlyn, I thought there would probably have been some discussion on the subject. It seems that there is no definite answer so will go with Rule 1, its my railway. The trouble is there is always someone at a show who knows the real answer and its never the way you have modelled it!!

Rob

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since there has been much to report from New Osney, mainly due to the school holidays and other things taking priority,not least of which was the need to remove the layout from the guest room so that it could be used for a guest, would you believe!! I had managed to do a little work prior to eviction but looking at it later I was not very happy with how I had painted the stonework. I used a method I had seen used very successfully elsewhere, using a sponge, but it did not seem to work for me and I am still wondering whether to repaint. I guess that at the end of the day I am going to have to bite the bullit as I know that I will never be happy with it as it stands. In the meantime I need to crack on or there will be very little to exhibit in December. The attached photo does at least show some progress. The shed is not fixed down but does give an idea of how it will look and how things will appear around it. That's all for now.

Rob

SAM_0305.JPG.d7dafcba9ebff55167e597d87235ce44.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add Photos
  • Like 12

Since my last post I have embarked on an intensive production line of trees, mainly what will hopefully look like Scots Pines when they are finished. This is something I can do sat watching the TV in the evenings. The more complete trees are taken from a previous layout. All are just propped up at the moment and there position in no way indicates there final resting place. I have used floristry wire to get the basic shape and the next step will be to coat the wire with a plaster mix. This is all along the lines described by Gordan Gravett in his books.

Thanks to all of you for your continued interest, Rob

SAM_0313.JPG.b81f1bc065452481af7f8d6f422be90a.JPG

SAM_0314.JPG.d93fc5acbe837a7a32b70a6ba781f003.JPGSAM_0315.JPG.797c5d2eef6fe7d65da890ecf2b879ed.JPG

Edited by rcf
Add Photos
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Bits of New Osney are starting to take shape and I can be more optimistic about getting things ready for December, despite work going on all around me, as we have some of our old windows replaced, including the one in the railway room.

I have been concentrating on the backgroud and most of the landscape work is nearing completion and I can begin to see how the layout, will look eventually, rather than seeing it just in my head. Whether the picture in my head will match reality is another question! The next job is the last remaining major item, the station house. This will be the largest and main feature of the layout and consequently it is important to get it right, probably why I have left it to last. In the meantime some pictures of trees.

Rob

post-15694-0-68591000-1538565160_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-10747400-1538564835_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-45771200-1538564849_thumb.jpg

Edited by rcf
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

The last month has seen only limited work, for various reasons, including a few days exploring the Cotswolds. When I started detailing work on the station house I began to realise how much work there was still to do, and I had a bit of a reality check especially if I wanted to finish everything to my satisfaction rather than just getting it finished. So I have withdrawn New Osney from the show in December and it will be replaced by The Shed which will be brought out of semi-retirement for the day. Disappointing but it is for the best and since making the decision I have felt more relaxed about the layout and can now think about the detailing work with anticipation rather than dread. This will include the painting of some rather lovely figures from Modelu which arrived on my birthday. I will definitely have to get a magnifying glass out for them if I am to do them justice. That's it for the moment, will try and get some photos out with the latest progress soon.

Regards Rob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rob.

I can understand that your always find more to do on a layout, but when do you stop adding more. We're is your Decemder show.

Hi Ray,

Knowing when to stop is always an interesting question. Over the years I have found that stepping away from the model or painting for a day or so and then coming back seems to work for me. As you know all my layouts are on the small side so the detail tends to be what ,hopefully, brings the layout to life. I know I would have been a long way from that in December. The show is the Hayle clubs Christmas show, not one I have ben to before but it should be a good atmosphere.

Regards Rob

Work progresses slowly but steadily. The station building is almost there, still needs some cleaning up and when fixed down will be properly bedded in to avoid those dark gaps at the bottom. Hopefully it conjures up the sense of a somewhat run down station close to closure. More soon.

Rob

post-15694-0-33554500-1541583649_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-49211400-1541583664_thumb.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi All,

Some steady progress down New Osney way. The background is virtually complete, still some minor details to be sorted, like the paint work on the hut and some tidying up. The platform still needs work though, then we can start moving towards the front of the layout via the track and loading bank. On a broader level I haven't thought about the fiddle yard yet, I have the traverser but at the moment it is acting as a temporary book shelf in the spare room!!  No track on it at the moment. I have made the decision, however, to operate the layout from the front, which will be new for me but I think will make operation easier and enable me to chat to the public.

Rob

post-15694-0-22010700-1542202016_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-99926800-1542202033_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-84261800-1542202054_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-84437500-1542202070_thumb.jpg

post-15694-0-69265400-1542202085_thumb.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking very good.

My operators decided they would prefer to operate out front so we all did that worked well for us. I had the switches for the turnout (only three two crossovers and one single turnout) on a small box on a lead tape to the back of the handheld  which made it very easy  particularly as we were using three links and you had to follow the train.

Don

Hi Ray and Don, 

Many thanks for your comments. I have never been a fan of shunting with three link couplings but now with my new magnetic shunting pole I think that operating from the front will make that a possibility, time will tell!

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for your kind comments. I was once where you are and was inspired by some very good modellers, many on this forum, so I find your comments quite humbling when I look at my efforts.You have no idea how my modelling has been accompanied by much swearing and cursing and a great deal of trial and error, all of which continues with the present build. So all I can say is get stuck in and hopefully you will put something on this forum in due course.

Kind regards Rob

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I cannot really believe we are into July and my last post was in November. You would think there would be a lot to report but sadly there has been little progress with the layout. A multitude of reasons, my last exhibition in December triggered problems with my hips, caused by standing up for about 6 hours , and this on top of other health issues. Exhibiting is enjoyable which is why we do it but it can be very tiring when you are on your feet all day and chatting to people and I came home wondering whether I would do it again. Because of the problem with standing, working on the layout became difficult and what work I did do was rushed and not what I had hoped to achieve with the layout.The end result was a massive loss of mojo and I seriously considered abandoning the whole project. Due to the uncertainty during this period I turned down two invitations to exhibit, one because I knew the layout would not be finished and one because I felt the long hours of the show would be physically to much for me to deal with.

But now for the better news, physiotherapy has helped considerably with the hip problem and other medical issues have been sorted, hopefully, and I am once again turning my attention back to the layout and have even started some tentative work , although it is difficult to spot where it is on the layout, I know its there and that's what matters. So fingers crossed and I may just have some progress to report  soon.

Regards to all Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Lovely modelling as ever Rob, I've just been catching up with your project.  Great to see, as I've always had a soft spot for The Mawddwy Railway.

Pleased to hear that your are getting better and recovering your modelling interest.

All the best,

Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob sorry to hear you had problems with your hips. When I was exhibiting Sparrows Wharf one of my operators had back problems. If the show wasn't too busy he would sit in front of the layout and operate from the chair, if he couldn't reach to couple up one of the viewers could find themselves pressed into service and handed the couling hook. He could normally arrange the uncoupling to be in front of him. 

The other possibility is where you have a fiddle yard to one side have a chair there (Angle the layout slightly if you need to make room and then you can at least sit down some of the time while operating.

Don

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donw said:

Hi Rob sorry to hear you had problems with your hips. When I was exhibiting Sparrows Wharf one of my operators had back problems. If the show wasn't too busy he would sit in front of the layout and operate from the chair, if he couldn't reach to couple up one of the viewers could find themselves pressed into service and handed the couling hook. He could normally arrange the uncoupling to be in front of him. 

The other possibility is where you have a fiddle yard to one side have a chair there (Angle the layout slightly if you need to make room and then you can at least sit down some of the time while operating.

Don

Hi Don, 

Thanks for your comments. I actually have a high stool to sit on but because of the height of the backscene on the layout I still can't see everything , so find it is easier to stand, especially when talking to the viewers. Hopefully as the new layout will be operated from the front I shall be able to operate from the luxury of a chair.

Rob

• Like 1