rcf

New Osney and other 0 Gauge micro/cameo layouts

1 hour ago, Donw said:

Hi Rob sorry to hear you had problems with your hips. When I was exhibiting Sparrows Wharf one of my operators had back problems. If the show wasn't too busy he would sit in front of the layout and operate from the chair, if he couldn't reach to couple up one of the viewers could find themselves pressed into service and handed the couling hook. He could normally arrange the uncoupling to be in front of him. 

The other possibility is where you have a fiddle yard to one side have a chair there (Angle the layout slightly if you need to make room and then you can at least sit down some of the time while operating.

Don

Hi Don, 

Thanks for your comments. I actually have a high stool to sit on but because of the height of the backscene on the layout I still can't see everything , so find it is easier to stand, especially when talking to the viewers. Hopefully as the new layout will be operated from the front I shall be able to operate from the luxury of a chair.

Rob

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the health problems,  but you sound as if you're on the mend. Great to hear that you're back doing a bit of modelling and getting back into the swing of it. You may not sit for all that long on the stool,  I find that I just sort of perch on the edge,  but it does help my back and takes the weight off my feet a bit.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Railway modelling, chatting about the hobby can be great, therapeutic, but aches and pains can make one think twice (Eg about exhibiting). I know how that feels.

I'm glad to hear that things are looking up, always a pleasure to see your work.

Atvb

CME

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob.

Sorry to hear about your health and glade you are on the mend,

I also recently lost my mojo and now getting it back. looking forward seeing your new layout when its finished. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, RAY NORWOOD said:

Hi Rob.

Sorry to hear about your health and glade you are on the mend,

I also recently lost my mojo and now getting it back. looking forward seeing your new layout when its finished. 

I've been the same this year, only just feeling it again...

Thanks for all your supportive comments, and its good to be back and feeling more positive about everything.

Regards to you all Rob

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hi Rob,

Really sorry to hear about your health issues but I am so pleased that you are feeling more positive about you modelling now. Your projects have been inspirational to so many of us over the years, even from afar. I have never met you, or seen one of your layouts in the flesh, but I have learnt so much from following the progress of your various layouts on here. I have picked up alot from you sharing your skills and modelling techniques. You have also done a great job in showing that you don't need acres of space to make fantastic layouts in 7mm scale. 

Thanks for sharing and I really look forward to seeing what you do moving forward. 

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Hi Rob,

Really sorry to hear about your health issues but I am so pleased that you are feeling more positive about you modelling now. Your projects have been inspirational to so many of us over the years, even from afar. I have never met you, or seen one of your layouts in the flesh, but I have learnt so much from following the progress of your various layouts on here. I have picked up alot from you sharing your skills and modelling techniques. You have also done a great job in showing that you don't need acres of space to make fantastic layouts in 7mm scale. 

Thanks for sharing and I really look forward to seeing what you do moving forward. 

David

Hi David,

When I first read your comments I decided to take a few minutes to consider how to respond as it seemed completely inadequate to hit the thank you button. I think we all model for our own enjoyment and when you put your efforts on to a public forum you can never really know how others see your work, so I can only say a big thank you for your comments which are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi David,

When I first read your comments I decided to take a few minutes to consider how to respond as it seemed completely inadequate to hit the thank you button. I think we all model for our own enjoyment and when you put your efforts on to a public forum you can never really know how others see your work, so I can only say a big thank you for your comments which are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Rob

No need for thanks Rob, whilst we may start off modeling for our own enjoyment, the work of others can have a big impact in the wider community. That is equally so whether it is at an exhibition or through an online forum such as this. Osney, The Shed and Bude Quay (I think that is the right name?) have all been wonderful inspiration to me personally over the years and have been a big influence in me finally taking the plunge and going down the 7mm scale path. The atmosphere and character you create through your small projects is top draw - it's the care that goes into the creation of the overall picture that I most admire. I know what you will do next will have that similar impact. Keep up the good work.

David 

• Thanks 1

When word got out that work was progressing at New Osney a few locals decided to have a look. There was not a lot to see but it was clear that closure could not be far away as the grass was taking an increasing hold on the platform and no one seemed to have the incentive to do anything about it.

Rob

SAM_0329.JPG.f6b6e8489802a9678d5627136a9e1bff.JPGSAM_0331.JPG.0ee26704f9725e0227fca98b5f0850bb.JPGSAM_0330.JPG.92492e58e25130470694376102cb002c.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Hi Everyone, although my last post suggested there was some progress down at New Osney, this was before the summer break , which included visitors and holidays, so not a lot has happened of late, but I  now have some free time and am making real progress at last. I can actually see a light at the end of the tunnel, which gives even greater impetus to the build. I mustn't get too carried away though, as I haven't even looked at the fiddle yard yet. No photos at the moment but thought that I would at least let you know that things are going ahead but will try and get some posted soon.  

Regards Rob

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Slow and steady produces a super finish on your layout.

Best

Thanks for that Barnaby, I agree 'slow and steady' can be good. With this build I have done slow, its the steady I've had problems with :rolleyes:

Regards Rob

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have been working on the coal wharf, as well as other small details, with still work to do but thought some photos might be appropriate at this at stage. In the background you might spot that poor Mrs Williams has had to make do with sitting  on a luggage trolley for so long that I decided to give her a proper seat to sit on. She likes to sit the trains come and go but never actually catches one. Have also just noticed, having posted the photos, that a member of staff seems to have flattened a member of the public. On a more serious note I must get the station building bedded in

Rob

SAM_0458.JPG.2ca62c97605aeabeedcfb12c0a19def6.JPGSAM_0457.JPG.8d23f21a822de5ceb0a8bbbd46f9a918.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing further work to the coal wharf which is now about where I want it to be, in terms of weathering and general decrepitude, not sure if that is a word but it sums up the appearance I am looking for in the final finish.

SAM_0459.JPG.c51fceebf12f60e0250005b539bf737f.JPGSAM_0463.JPG.29dc935933b1bc2c989badbc5d2856e9.JPGSAM_0464.JPG.1554b4abfa9b57a9f875bf4eb5421d56.JPGSAM_0465.JPG.533fd860becfa4739a43f76e37334774.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Decrepitude to a T. Nice work

Don

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

A few more photos to illustrate on going progress down New Osney way.

SAM_0466.JPG.b76db6d69dbd654c7e4003ecc01ab44f.JPGSAM_0467.JPG.08a024eb5818e753111627b196083806.JPGSAM_0470.JPG.f2d65db2f5ae3de3e672a8f4bd16d3e1.JPG

• Like 13

Top notch scenic work

Don

• Agree 1

Cheers Don.  Creating a believable picture is what I enjoy most about the hobby but its a bonus when others appreciate the efforts as well.

Regards Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

After a short break to enjoy the delights of North Wales we are back doing minor work on the layout. I must be a sad case as I find I am spending more time than is necessary trying to decide where to leave a shovel so it looks as though someone has been interrupted in their work and how many passengers there might be on the platform to give the station that little used and about to be closed look. All this results in a lot of time spent just looking at the layout rather than getting on with the last major job, the fiddle yard. Seriously though, I think I can safely say that most of the scenic work is now done and I can get on with the fiddle yard so that trains can run into the station rather than just pose for the camera.

On a slightly different topic I have been looking at the competition  recently announced by the O Gauge Guild for a small  layouts but I am not sure whether New Osney would meet the aims of the competition. It certainly meets the size criteria but they are looking to encourage new modellers to O gauge and to show that you can produce an interesting layout using rtr rolling stock. There is still awhile for entries to be submitted so will give it some thought, at the very least it would spur me on with the fiddle yard!!

In the meantime some recent photos.

Regards Rob

SAM_0482.JPG.4695c5190fd823faaa30490c8a926f4e.JPGSAM_0477.JPG.1731dc62c706a04509d26bb73f189169.JPGSAM_0479.JPG.b061727c225e5aed806736a4ef930182.JPGSAM_0485.JPG.b783b913e6135e19726db82d3aa4dd8c.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

If I’ve not commented already, Rob, I have to say I do love these little touches and extra attention to detail! Great modelling!

Marlyn

• Thanks 1

Go for the competition Rob, you know it makes sense. A highly detailed minimalist layout should give inspiration to a few newbies to 0 gauge.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1