The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Everything has been very quiet down Osney way since my last post, other than outings to Barnstaple, Hayle and yesterday the Cornwall Model Railway Exhibition at Redruth organised by the Cornwall O Gauge Group. This was a show to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the setting up of the Group and they had organised a much larger show than they have previously done. A most enjoyable day and an opportunity to see some familiar faces. I managed to take a few photos of OT at the show before things got to busy.

Regards Rob

attachicon.gifSAM_0143.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0147.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0149.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0152.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0154.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0155.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_0156.JPG

Hi Rob

The pictures look great Rob. Glade you had good time at Redruth.

• 11 months later...

Hi all, its been a very long time since there has been any input on this topic which has , in part been due to life in all its forms getting in the way of modelling and also a loss of mojo with regard to modelling, probably brought on by the life changes going on which have given me many other things to occupy my mind. However, things have been stirring again in the old brain and I have done a little work on The Shed, my other micro preparing it for the Taunton Show where we are off to later this afternoon, which triggered the desire to build something. But what?

Space as always is at a premium, so do I get rid of one of the layouts, do I re-use one of the old baseboards or do I start completely fresh. I must admit that both the baseboards were built to withstand a small earth quake and consequently, though small, are becoming increasingly heavy to lug around as I get a little older. So if I start afresh I will be looking for light weight and  I might be tempted to go to one of the manufacturers rather than waste time on building new boards.

The next question has to be what to model next. Due to the emphasis on getting a quart into a pint pot I have always gone for an urban subject as they were usually built on more restricted sites. I am not a fan of shunting layouts as I use 3-link couplings and even at home I have been almost driven to screaming in frustration trying to couple wagons, this was at home so what would I be like at a show!! I have looked at various discussions on auto couplings but I am concerned that I lack the patience and technical skills to make them work. The alternative might be a small rural terminus but then I am up against the more open aspect of these locations but an empty, open station does appeal after the tight urban sites I have been building. It was this open feeling that drew me to Bude Quay in the first place, which started off this saga in the first place.

Some years ago we visited the site of a former station in mid -Wales where we had a lovely lunch in the former station house. It has always been at the back of my mind since and it is now shouting at me to model it, in some form. I speak of Dinas Mawddy, spelling (?). It was a former Cambrian Railway branch which closed to passengers very early on and to goods about 1950. I have been looking at options and as always I would only be able to model some of the layout which is pretty basic already but I think I could capture the feeling of the station, and liking a challenge I might try to get it on to a smaller base board. 

That's about where I am at the moment so it is a question of watch this space. Hopefully there will not be such a gap in progress as there has been but now its off to Taunton with The Shed  for a happy weekend exhibiting.

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

I seriously doubt you lack the skills to make auto couplings work in 7mm.

And I'm sure if you were to put Osney Town up for sale, it would be snapped up (afraid not by me though).

Have a great weekend at Taunton.

Stu

Hi all, its been a very long time since there has been any input on this topic which has , in part been due to life in all its forms getting in the way of modelling and also a loss of mojo with regard to modelling, probably brought on by the life changes going on which have given me many other things to occupy my mind. However, things have been stirring again in the old brain and I have done a little work on The Shed, my other micro preparing it for the Taunton Show where we are off to later this afternoon, which triggered the desire to build something. But what?

Space as always is at a premium, so do I get rid of one of the layouts, do I re-use one of the old baseboards or do I start completely fresh. I must admit that both the baseboards were built to withstand a small earth quake and consequently, though small, are becoming increasingly heavy to lug around as I get a little older. So if I start afresh I will be looking for light weight and I might be tempted to go to one of the manufacturers rather than waste time on building new boards.

The next question has to be what to model next. Due to the emphasis on getting a quart into a pint pot I have always gone for an urban subject as they were usually built on more restricted sites. I am not a fan of shunting layouts as I use 3-link couplings and even at home I have been almost driven to screaming in frustration trying to couple wagons, this was at home so what would I be like at a show!! I have looked at various discussions on auto couplings but I am concerned that I lack the patience and technical skills to make them work. The alternative might be a small rural terminus but then I am up against the more open aspect of these locations but an empty, open station does appeal after the tight urban sites I have been building. It was this open feeling that drew me to Bude Quay in the first place, which started off this saga in the first place.

Some years ago we visited the site of a former station in mid -Wales where we had a lovely lunch in the former station house. It has always been at the back of my mind since and it is now shouting at me to model it, in some form. I speak of Dinas Mawddy, spelling (?). It was a former Cambrian Railway branch which closed to passengers very early on and to goods about 1950. I have been looking at options and as always I would only be able to model some of the layout which is pretty basic already but I think I could capture the feeling of the station, and liking a challenge I might try to get it on to a smaller base board.

That's about where I am at the moment so it is a question of watch this space. Hopefully there will not be such a gap in progress as there has been but now its off to Taunton with The Shed for a happy weekend exhibiting.

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

I empathise!

Dinas is lovely place, Ive stayed there and I have friends there, an ancient & sacred place!

Looking forward to seeing whatever you decide to do.

Kindest,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Everyone,

I have only just got back to my computer after a few days so have missed your comments, so sorry if it looked as though I was ignoring them. To start we had a great time in Taunton, we were very busy on both days and I got some lovely comments about TS, and since we got back we have been making the most of half term, so no actual progress on my deliberations but being at the show has confirmed my need to get modelling again.. Thanks to Stu and Ray for your comments and to your faith, some what misguided I would say, in my ability to make automatic couplings work!! 

Also thanks Richard for posting that great photo, I can't decide which version I like best. 

Regards Rob

• Like 2

Cracking photos AND cracking modelling.....both are inspirational, thank you!

ATVB

CME

I suppose we have become accustomed to interpreting B&W images, since these form the bulk of resource available.  Due not only to the method of recording, but also printing - colour was too costly.

The paired images above serve as a tantalising glimpse of what our resource might have looked like had colour film been available at an affordable price to those who recorded our railways at the time, and colour printing been as cheap and good as it is now.

Edited by Osgood

The new title to this thread probably says it all. I have added the 'cameo' as this seems to be flavour of the month as a layout type. Well, there has been a lot of energising of the little grey cells and things are on the move. At the Taunton show I had interest from two possible exhibitions next year for TS so its future is secure for the moment, as regards Osney Town  I don't know but I don't have to make any decisions yet. At the show we were talking to someone about modular layouts which could be linked, an idea put forward by my wife and when I suggested I had no room to store anything else she said, 'well you could use the spare bedroom'. What could I say? 

I am probably going to continue to use the name Osney, I like it and it doesn't pin me down to a particular area and provides some sort of continuity to my modelling efforts, also I have a Guild shirt with the name embroidered on it!!  I thought about starting a new thread but I have always liked to follow the development and ideas progressed on other threads so I will keep this thread going on that basis.

I am definitely going down the Dinas Mawddy route but any similarity between that station and the new Osney is purely coincidental. I have a reputation for building pointless layouts and I thought that this time I would incorporate one point, however, it just would not work in the space available without considerable extension of the baseboards, which would have precluded any chance of getting the layout in the car, if I had the opportunity of exhibiting. So no points. I am currently in the process of ordering some kit built boards as I no longer want to spend time and energy on this aspect and I have also ordered some more track. So things are certainly on the move.

The issue of the auto couplings is under consideration. I have been reading up on the various discussions on here and haven't come to any conclusions but the layout will allow the shunting of wagons should I want and from my investigations I have ordered a magnetic shunting pole, discussed in a thread on the 7mm topic, to facilitate the use of 3 link couplings. 

That's the situation at the present. I will let you know when there is further news.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Osney and the shed look as good as my memory tells me - even though I've had a lengthy absence from rmweb, and from looking at photos of your work
Rob - if I can do auto-couplings.... you can too! Honestly good sir

I use Sprat & Winkle couplings in 4 and 7mm scales. I find them more fiddly in 4mm scale, I must say
But in O gauge, they're much easier to install, and they usually work more reliably
Good to see your work again sir
Best

Marc

• RMweb Gold

I am sure Rob can do auto couplings if he wants but three links look so much better. If you must have autocouplings S&W wouldn't be my choice. Dinghams are quite good but have the disadvantage of being handed. On a small layout where you can be regularly taking stock on and off that can cause a problem. Linc ups are very unobtrusive and you can still have three lincs fitted. No delay action though but separate very easily either with a cocktail stick or inthe fiddle yard can be simply lifted up.

I like the sound of being allowed to store them in the small bedroom. I look forward to seeing the results.  It was nice to have a quick chat. I would have spent longer but we were quite busy manning dorrs etc.

Don

I agree CME, I have been there many times in the past and the place has a lovely atmosphere. When I was last there all the main buildings were still in existence, I don't know whether they still are but a good reason to visit the area again. I'll have to talk to someone about that!

Thanks Don and Marc for your comments, I should have realised that mentioning auto couplings would start discussions going and leave me more confused than ever, I do agree with Don though, the 3 link couplings do look better and I am awaiting my shunter's pole with bated breath in the hope that it will solve the problem.

Regards Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Track has  arrived and the boards have been ordered. Unfortunately because of the time of year and the pressure of work the boards are unlikely to be ready before the new year, but that is probably still quicker than if I had made them myself. It will give me time to source a few other things I need and no longer seem to have in the modelling stores. There's nothing worse than being in the middle of a modelling session and to find you have run out of a particular paint or some other vital item, so preparation is everything, or so they say.

Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Not alot happening at the moment as sad events in the family have consumed all my energies. However Osney will require several trees to be made, so in between other problems I have been eyeing up trees in the area. I'm a great believer in basing the modelled trees on a photograph and the trees I need will form a major part of the layout so they must look right. I have mentioned previously that I am not sure about the future of Osney Town but that The Shed was secure as I was expecting possible invitations to exhibit it next year. Well I have now received an invitation to exhibit The Shed at Warley in 2019 (!) and Osney Town in 2020. I have never even been able to visit Warley so to exhibit there will be amazing, although  it is so far ahead it is difficult to get my brain around. The obvious implication of this is that  instead of getting rid of a layout I will be increasing their number!

Regards Rob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not alot happening at the moment as sad events in the family have consumed all my energies. However Osney will require several trees to be made, so in between other problems I have been eyeing up trees in the area. I'm a great believer in basing the modelled trees on a photograph and the trees I need will form a major part of the layout so they must look right. I have mentioned previously that I am not sure about the future of Osney Town but that The Shed was secure as I was expecting possible invitations to exhibit it next year. Well I have now received an invitation to exhibit The Shed at Warley in 2019 (!) and Osney Town in 2020. I have never even been able to visit Warley so to exhibit there will be amazing, although  it is so far ahead it is difficult to get my brain around. The obvious implication of this is that  instead of getting rid of a layout I will be increasing their number!

Regards Rob

Sorry to hear that Rob, weve had a similar three years, model making, when you can, is a good distraction though, good therapy too. Blessings. M.
  • Like 3