The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

3 hours ago, marc smith said:

Hi there @rcf 
Nice to see you are dreaming of new schemes and plans.
I haven't been doing much modelling at all lately (as you have probably gathered) - mainly due to lack of time

I would firstly say, start afresh on a new board, rather than rip up an old model.
My last project was a similar affair - I tore up my "Carsmoors" EM gauge scrapyard, in order to start a new layout
However, almost from the outset, I was making compromises on the overall design and plan....
Some of those compromises (believe it or not) arose from me having more space on the board than my original concept
This drove me to add more trackwork and features.....

Anyhow, I won't bore you with that! But hopefully, you get my drift. Better to start a new concept without constraints, or uneven ground-work etc
Also. I'm sure someone would happily buy one of your old models. I think someone bought your first diorama, if I'm correct?

I've been doing a bit of dabbling myself lately - and I'm really pleased to see you're still itching to build something too :)
Good luck matey, all the best, and stay safe

Hwyl fawr from South Wales

Hi Marc, good to hear from you and to hear that you are back to doing some modelling, your work has been sadly missed on here and you may remember it was your modelling that got me on here originally. As you say I did get rid of Bude Quay, but not knowing what a small static diorama might be worth I ended up giving it away to a good home, but I hear what you are saying about starting afresh and others seem to agree. For New Osney I actually bought some laser cut boards so I might do that again as ,at the moment buying wood would not be possible. lots to think about!! 

Kind regards Rob

• Like 4

Thanks to Stu, Victor and Siberian Snooper for all your comments, you all seem to be expressing the same view as Marc and I'm sure you are right but do I have room for three layouts!?!?

Regards to everyone and stay well,

Rob

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, rcf said:

Thanks to Stu, Victor and Siberian Snooper for all your comments, you all seem to be expressing the same view as Marc and I'm sure you are right but do I have room for three layouts!?!?

Regards to everyone and stay well,

Rob

Hi again @rcf

"Have you got room for three layouts?".
Well, until my clear-out, and trashing my aforementioned latest project....  I had six! Plus two half-started projects (that may well see completion... one day! lol)
If you can find room - keep your old layouts..... if not - see if you can temporarily re-house your least favourite, or least used layout - just for a short while
See how you feel about letting it go in a few months... perhaps your new project will demand more attention, and your interest in the old one will wane....

Is there someone fairly close to you, who would look after one of your old layouts? Perhaps a club or RMweb pal?
Obviously, once lock-down restrictions are relaxed....

PS. Do you still have "The Shed"? Cracking O Gauge small layout that one :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see you back Rob!

As you know, I've always admired your models. 

I'd agree with the comments above, better to start on a new board. 

I have also sold one of my recent layouts, which was beneficial at the time as funded a new digital camera, but since then have regretted selling the layout as still had some life in it to be honest. Since that time, like many others, I've started two layouts and not progress much beyond track and wiring. Then started a small 7mm diorama which you may have seen and this is currently giving more pleasure and interest than anything else. Rather foolishly, I think, I've also started a third layout, which has stalled a little ….. then keep thinking about a small 7mm shunting layout (possibly one point or even a hidden traverser ….)

Anyway, back on topic - will follow with interest!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Go for it Rob. A new board would be best but you may need to negotiate where to store the others. I am still able to get supplies from the Builders Merchant by phoning in an order for delivery but maybe an 8x4 sheet is a bit more than you want. The laser cut board is peobably the best choice. Look forward to seeing this in due course.

Don

• Like 1

Thanks Don and Richard, you are all going to get me in trouble with the domestic authorities :rolleyes: and Marc, yes I still have The Shed which remains my favourite of all the layouts. It has  a feel to it which I don't get from New Osney.

Rob

• Like 3

Hello Rob, very nice to see this thread back on the boards. The projects you’ve shared in this thread and others mostly predate my time on RMWeb so I could only read about them retrospectively, but I’d consider myself a definite fan of your work. The scenes all have such character, and I’ve spent many happy and informative hours reading about The Shed, Bude Quay, and the various Osney layouts. I‘ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with in due course.

Adam

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Calidore said:

Hello Rob, very nice to see this thread back on the boards. The projects you’ve shared in this thread and others mostly predate my time on RMWeb so I could only read about them retrospectively, but I’d consider myself a definite fan of your work. The scenes all have such character, and I’ve spent many happy and informative hours reading about The Shed, Bude Quay, and the various Osney layouts. I‘ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with in due course.

Adam

Thanks for that Adam, much appreciated.

Regards Rob

Hi,

without infinite space in which to store layouts sometimes the bullet has to be bitten and decisions made.  In your postion I would keep The Shed and dispose, or scrap and re-use parts, of New Osney.  If it's not satisfying you now it is very unlikely this will change no matter how long you keep it.  Better to crack on with a new layout and use New Osney as an experience to be learnt from!

Roja

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

without infinite space in which to store layouts sometimes the bullet has to be bitten and decisions made.  In your postion I would keep The Shed and dispose, or scrap and re-use parts, of New Osney.  If it's not satisfying you now it is very unlikely this will change no matter how long you keep it.  Better to crack on with a new layout and use New Osney as an experience to be learnt from!

Roja

Hi Roja, thanks for your comment although I am not sure I should be thanking you as you have given expression to that still small voice in my head that says 'go on scrap it, salvage any bits you want' and move on. I see Mullie has agreed with your comment as well.  As you say I have been looking at New Osney for some months now and the more I look at it the more issues I see with it. But they do say don't act in haste so watch this space.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

In the last two years I have taken two layouts apart that I had strong attachments to and restarted in EM. I felt it was right to do so though it was a wrench. I haven't regretted the decision, if you know it is the right thing to do then it probably is.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Everyone,

Well, there has been some progress or at least it might be said that I am hedging my bets somewhat. If I'm honest I would probably go for the scrap and burn scenario, well not burn literally, but support for the keep and start afresh came from an unlikely source, one you couldn't really argue with, and that came from the domestic authorities who expressed doubts about my sanity when I suggested that I might just, maybe might get rid of New Osney. It was pointed out that space could always be found for another layout and you can't argue with that, can you?

So for the moment it is on with the new and I have managed to source some laser cut boards, which in itself caused  problems due to the current situation. Hopefully delivery will be within three weeks which will give me time to plan what to do with them when they arrive.

Regards Rob

• Like 11

• rcf changed the title to Osney Wharf (?) and other micro O Gauge layouts

SAM_0491.JPG.4660a75e65d13ff562e303e770d1948d.JPG

Well, guess what arrived last night. Nine days from placing the order with White Rose Baseboards, is to my mind exceptional service, especially as my order was for a non standard size. I have no connection with the firm other than as a very satisfied customer but felt they deserved praise in these difficult times. Now the fun really starts, or at least when I have put the boards together.

The new title to this thread might give some clue as where things are going but nothing is definite at the moment.

Regards Rob

• Like 9

On 05/05/2020 at 05:06, 2996 Victor said:

Very much looking forward to seeing how the new project develops! Any teasers?

With kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark, good to hear from you. As to teasers, I have been teasing myself with various ideas then realising that a particular idea won't work for whatever reason and I keep coming back to the same point.

When I started this protracted thread I mentioned Bude Quay. When this was exhibited at the Guild Show backalong one of the members suggested I enlarge the diorama and take it back as a working layout. At the time this struck me as being far too simple which in the light of where my modelling has gone since is quite funny. However the open and neglected appearance of the quay has always appealed and what this long preamble is getting around to is that I have been trying to get the feel of that quay back but with a little more interest.

So the current position is illustrated on the photo below, bearing in mind that nothing is yet fixed, even the boards. The idea is that the edge of the board will be modelled as the quayside and to the rear of the single siding will be an assortment of buildings screening the rear siding complete with point. The twin sidings will appear from behind the buildings and serve other buildings at the end of the quay. This element owes something to Wadebridge Town Quay in north Cornwall. The tricky bit is going to be blending the two halves into an overall picture. That's the situation at the moment but there could be changes.

Regards Rob

SAM_0493.JPG.420d7029f7f1e2aed70f9b35d9696a97.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

This is going to be another corker, I'm certain! Bude Quay was/is a superbly atmospheric cameo, and I'm sure you'll have little trouble incorporating that ambience into a slightly bigger project. I have to agree that the extra two sidings will make sure it interesting to operate.

I'm curious, will the quay siding be operational as well? If it could be ostensibly connected to the rest of the track "somewhere offstage" (there doesn't need to be a visible connection, after all) so that wagons could be worked in and out of the quayside and along the other tracks? Just a thought!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Rob, I'll also be very interested in watching a project along these lines come together. Your Bude Quay was a fantastic and inspirational diorama and I'm sure this 'updated' version will be equally impressive. I can just see a small engine and couple of wagons ambling up and down.

Adam

• Agree 1

On 07/05/2020 at 14:17, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Rob,

This is going to be another corker, I'm certain! Bude Quay was/is a superbly atmospheric cameo, and I'm sure you'll have little trouble incorporating that ambience into a slightly bigger project. I have to agree that the extra two sidings will make sure it interesting to operate.

I'm curious, will the quay siding be operational as well? If it could be ostensibly connected to the rest of the track "somewhere offstage" (there doesn't need to be a visible connection, after all) so that wagons could be worked in and out of the quayside and along the other tracks? Just a thought!

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kind regards,

Mark

Hi Mark and Adam, thank you both for your comments, particularly regarding Bude Quay. The intention is that both sidings will be operational via a connection further up the line. The operational side is something that has been occupying the 'little grey cells' but I think I have it sorted by using the traverser which will incorporate a sector plate. I want to avoid having to handle the stock which has always been an issue on the other layouts. 

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi Mark and Adam, thank you both for your comments, particularly regarding Bude Quay. The intention is that both sidings will be operational via a connection further up the line. The operational side is something that has been occupying the 'little grey cells' but I think I have it sorted by using the traverser which will incorporate a sector plate. I want to avoid having to handle the stock which has always been an issue on the other layouts. 

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

That sounds like an excellent idea, and I think it'll be a very interesting layout to both operate and watch. I could do with a bit of a Eureka moment myself with a couple of planned projects!

I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress and to watching this evolve, so do please keep the posts and photos coming!

With kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob, I have just finished going through this entire thread, and am inspired by your tenacity for getting a scene right for yourself. Many years ago I built a small layout in Gn15 called Macton Locomotive works, basically using 00 gauge track to represent 18 inch gauge, and made a couple of locos to represent the tramway locos at Horwich. 

Now I am retired a couple of moves from town to country back to the city. I have a small garden railway to "play Trains" with the grandkinds and to test large scale scratch built stuff, but my love of building a scene with a backstory is very strong indeed. I have a room in the new house that I have control over that will house a new layout and will give me the opportunity to get back to the sort of modelwork that you have so marvelously displayed in your layouts. I must say that "The Shed " is my favourite one of your layouts but I am also very inspired by your small details on Bude Quay and New Osney.

Modelling in the larger scales is most definitely easier on the eyes and fingers these days. I am in western Canada and there are precious few folk in this neck of the woods who build layouts like yours, so thank you for all your posts and the continuing inspiration with your layouts

Michael

• Like 1

Hi Michael, many thanks for your kind comments. As you say the larger scales come into their own as you get older. My modelling certainly wouldn't be of any interest to some people, especially if you are interested in operation, but I have always had a problem with space for a layout and accepted some time ago that I would have to be content with less. So for me it is about creating a picture where the balance between track and detail achieves some sort of atmosphere, which again is more possible in a small space. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and it is difficult to understand why. I agree that The Shed and Bude Quay were close to what I wanted and I can still look at the photos, and in the case of The Shed, the model, and be satisfied with the result, New Osney not so much! although there are some bits that I am happy with.

As something of a technophobe it never fails to amaze me that someone as far away as western Canada is following my modelling, so thanks again for your interest and comments.

Kind regards Rob

• Like 2