The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

After  a frantic few minutes with a pair of scissors and a pile of old cereal packets the following emerged, but don't look to hard!

SAM_0494.JPG.cc3644f240adacb9f23f8e8b72b987b4.JPGSAM_0495.JPG.b697298794591d8a777e40010383b0cf.JPGSAM_0496.JPG.1b0b40d7da90720c6e6cea04578d492b.JPGSAM_0497.JPG.f00cb8cc413cc892c245be90e64907ef.JPG

A little crude, I know, but it is a quick way of finding out what might work and what might not, without making any commitments. I have played around with various variations on the track layout but the options are limited by the overall size but even slight alterations can make a difference, as I discovered. Mention has already been made about the atmosphere of Bude Quay but I have also come across some old photos of my earlier layout, Nanpean. It was briefly mentioned earlier in this saga, not as a new build, but a as a few photos of what had been before it got binned. When I built it I was happy with the overall layout especially from the scenic aspect, and looking back at the photos now I would probably not change very much. The problem at the time was the operational aspect which was hampered by electrical problems and design features which made operating with three link couplings extremely frustrating. In retrospect these problems could probably have been resolved, but you know me, I moved on to the next project, having been put off shunting layouts forever, until now!!

So, I am looking to try and incorporate the best elements of both Bude Quay and Nanpean and only time will tell whether I succeed or not but that is the direction I am heading at the moment. This time round I am going to try and pace myself and resist the urge to crack on and get things finished. Any comments, for or against are always appreciated.

Regards Rob

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• rcf changed the title to Osney Wharf and other micro O Gauge layouts

You can consider me firmly in the ‘for’ camp, Rob :good_mini: It looks like there’ll be some wonderful hidden views, alleyways and the like already. I love the piecemeal clustering of the buildings.

I’m really looking forward to seeing it come to life.

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of modelling news since my last post but I have been concentrating on getting the baseboards ready. In the previous post the photos showed boards merely clamped together to give me an opportunity to plan the layout but they have now been finished properly and I have just clamped the last piece of bendy MDF into place to create the curved backscene.

Looking back at the last post reminded me that those senior moments are getting more frequent as I referred to an old layout called Nanpean, when in fact that layout was a very early attempt which never really saw the light of day. The layout I had in mind was Kestle Mill, some photos of which did appear earlier in this saga and which, looking back, had a lot of positives, although not recognised at the time. Anyway on with the new.

regards Rob

27 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Will the rear line & associated buildings be on a higher level than the front line & intermediate buildings ?

That's an interesting question, not one I had put into the planning process! But no, the track will certainly be at the same level as it is all part of  the same wharf and I am using the buildings at the front to screen some of the track at the rear, so that trains will 'suddenly appear' further down the wharf, although you may get glimpses through gaps between buildings. The buildings at the rear, however, may be higher, or bigger, to give some sense of depth to the scene, if that makes sense. Experimentation is the watch word in this build and slowly does it.

Rob

• Like 2

• rcf changed the title to Osney Wharf and other O Gauge cameo layouts

Hi All,

After those frenzied few moments with scissors and cereal packets showed me that the ideas I had re the layout might work I settled down to get the boards completed. Now that is done I have tried a more measured approach with the card mock ups for the buildings. I am now pretty happy with how the layout will look. Having got to this stage I now need to get the track properly laid and wired up, my least favourite pastime. In the meantime some photos to illustrate progress.

SAM_0500.JPG.15b820d1978159d69505f995be69c5b3.JPGSAM_0501.JPG.335932a4c54d33308313a347e099ccb7.JPGSAM_0501.JPG.335932a4c54d33308313a347e099ccb7.JPGSAM_0502.JPG.07cebb45b5eda6022eea652ffa249116.JPGSAM_0503.JPG.87043db7e1ecc4b15b03f14e3b7e57ac.JPGSAM_0504.JPG.c637daac0cad1be03705ee208b838a66.JPG

Edited by rcf
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking like a good start Rob.
Nice to see a new project from you :)
I've used roughly cut & sellotaped cereal packets & blocks of polystyrene as "mock up" structures when planning layouts myself
It works for me - "mock ups, not c**k ups" - that's my philosophy ;)

Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses
And PS - Glad you're coming back around to shunting layouts

• Like 2

Thank you Stu, Marc and Ray, yes, lots of lovely buildings to make, but I mustn't start till I have done the track, I mustn't start till I have done the track...….

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks for all your comments, they are appreciated. I think that this build has the potential to provide the interest that New Osney didn't and I am really quite excited at the prospect of the modelling ahead of me. :rolleyes:

Rob

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The early morning workers were surprised to find 6421 shunting the wharf when they arrived this morning. it had been a while since anything had moved on the wharf due to work on the junction between the wharf line and the junction with the branch to Osney Town. Now that has been fixed and goods can be delivered to the wharf again , all that now concerns them is how soon work will start to improve the buildings they have to work in.

SAM_0505.JPG.6f12c94bf6651afd2950411aca04cc2c.JPGSAM_0506.JPG.284e5352b0a1e439e384fec3795db753.JPGSAM_0507.JPG.b2b1b0605846f5d05d69e02ee94c5e17.JPG

So much for the fantasy but what about the real world?  Well, as you will gather the track is now laid and wired. The fiddle yard being the most complex part of the build as it incorporates a sector plate and traverser. This will allow me to pull wagons from the scenic side and place them aside without the need to handle them, other than uncouple them. The eagle eyed among you may also have spotted another change from the original idea. Yes, what happened to the point? I guess introducing a point to one of my layouts was a step to far, but having laid it out I decided that the layout would be better without it. In this build I am trying to create a sense of space and isolation similar to the photographs which inspired the original Bude Quay and which I have also seen in photos of the quayside at Wadebridge. Creating that feeling in 5 feet of layout is not easy and I felt that a point  gave a feeling of complexity that was to much for the space available. So it has gone and I am happy with things as they now are and in line with my philosophy of 'keep it simple stupid'. I can now start the fun part, creating the scene!

Regards Rob

SAM_0508.JPG

Edited by rcf
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

All the buildings on my previous layouts have been built the same way. I have constructed a frame from 10mm strip pine and then faced the skeleton with thin ply. This has worked well and produced solid, and sometimes heavy buildings when faced with modelling clay. This time faced with difficulties getting the necessary wood, I looked for alternatives. Gordon Gravett uses foam board and I have seen some recent examples on here, so decided to have a go. As I hadn't used this before I was unsure what problems I might encounter, so I decided to have a go at the buildings which form the backscene. I am now kicking myself for not having tried this material sooner as it is so simple and easy to use. As I progress I will probably come across issues but I am very happy at the moment.

The value of the card board cut outs was illustrated when I started, as I moved one of the larger buildings and put it down at the other end of the layout, out of the way, but it immediately looked good where it was and contained the overall picture I have in my minds eye. So another mock-up  was made and added:

IMG_0004.JPG.a08a00c310c616f73078f898fc2f8603.JPG

Now I am sure about the foamboard I can go back a step and get the track ballasted and painted before I get carried away with constructing the buildings.

Regards to all Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4 hours ago, rcf said:

All the buildings on my previous layouts have been built the same way. I have constructed a frame from 10mm strip pine and then faced the skeleton with thin ply. This has worked well and produced solid, and sometimes heavy buildings when faced with modelling clay. This time faced with difficulties getting the necessary wood, I looked for alternatives. Gordon Gravett uses foam board and I have seen some recent examples on here, so decided to have a go. As I hadn't used this before I was unsure what problems I might encounter, so I decided to have a go at the buildings which form the backscene. I am now kicking myself for not having tried this material sooner as it is so simple and easy to use. As I progress I will probably come across issues but I am very happy at the moment.

The value of the card board cut outs was illustrated when I started, as I moved one of the larger buildings and put it down at the other end of the layout, out of the way, but it immediately looked good where it was and contained the overall picture I have in my minds eye. So another mock-up  was made and added:

IMG_0004.JPG.fb77c282828cfc5126e311e13114b9d7.JPG

Now I am sure about the foamboard I can go back a step and get the track ballasted and painted before I get carried away with constructing the buildings.

Regards to all Rob

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress Rob - nice work thus far.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Calidore said:

Looking very nice Rob. That fiddle yard is quite a feat, too!

Adam

Thanks Adam, a shunting puzzle is usually about moving wagons about on the visible section of the layout whereas I seem to have moved the puzzle to the fiddle yard! Only time will tell if it works.

Cheers rob

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I like using foamboard myself.  I was showing someone at an exhibition how a building had been done and one of the club members oveheard next time I saw him he gave me a couple of large pieces that were recovered bits from work. Unfortunately he was soon to retire.

Don

Hi Don, one thing I have learnt is to ensure that the scalpel blade is sharp but I have also read advice that it is a good idea to paint both sides of the board to avoid warping. Have you found this is the case as it could be a problem painting the inside when the building is complete and ready to paint. This would also apply , I imagine, if you are covering the outside with modelling clay as well. It may be a good idea to add additional bracing before completing. All interesting questions that come up when you are working with a new material. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Regards Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

I've used Foamboard a few times for larger buildings and in the main have been clad with plasticard sheets. Yes, you need a sharp scalpel blade to cut the card facings. I score through a few times into the foam core. You need to ensure that the scalpel blade is perpendicular to the surface as easy to end up with an angled cut. The foamboard does need to be braced well, but a good quality PVA works work and I use dressmakers pins and to hold together whilst drying. Masking tape applied on the corner joints can help as well, which also covers the foam core which melts when using Evostick or similar glues.

Apply a thin layer of PVA glue to inside and outside faces before adding the modelling clay or ready mixed tile grout works well. Where possible keep flat whilst the clay dries. I usually only apply a 3-4mm thick layer. Working around the window / door apertures is the tricky bit to make sure that adheres properly. By making the apertures larger than required, can ensure sufficient clay is applied. When dry, this can then be trimmed / sanded back to the required dimensions.

Always worth searching out the articles written by Gordon Gravett.

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi Don, one thing I have learnt is to ensure that the scalpel blade is sharp but I have also read advice that it is a good idea to paint both sides of the board to avoid warping. Have you found this is the case as it could be a problem painting the inside when the building is complete and ready to paint. This would also apply , I imagine, if you are covering the outside with modelling clay as well. It may be a good idea to add additional bracing before completing. All interesting questions that come up when you are working with a new material. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Regards Rob

Hi Rob,

Another foamboard user here. I normally clad in plasticard and add an internal layer also to combat warping. I have also recently been using UHU por glue which is foam friendly.

Alan.

• Like 1