The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

• RMweb Gold

Rob they may be intended as just part of the overall scene but they are worthy of a closer look  the lovely detailing on the stone building door and the moss and lichen on the roof. 

I hope this comes to Rail-ex Taunton in due course and I get a chance to have a good look.

Don

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Donw said:

Rob they may be intended as just part of the overall scene but they are worthy of a closer look  the lovely detailing on the stone building door and the moss and lichen on the roof. 

I hope this comes to Rail-ex Taunton in due course and I get a chance to have a good look.

Don

Hi Don, thanks for that. The idea  that we may be going to exhibitions again, anytime soon seems a long way away but we can but hope. We thoroughly enjoyed our last visit to Taunton so maybe it will happen again.  

Kind regards Rob

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a slight pause for half term activities work continues down on the wharf.

SAM_0537.JPG.6c90498c5586ded4bc420f800f9fa25c.JPGSAM_0538.JPG.05a24c98c869330b7398f24b1d2854a2.JPGSAM_0541.JPG.f55ebf40c108215c0176fb2cdf66cdc6.JPGSAM_0539.JPG.eb2d11be0c1dc2963f77c7dea0afb791.JPGSAM_0540.JPG.e1ed05c94c3263656dab120df4137371.JPG

As you can see I went for the cheap and cheerful approach on the loading bank and chose timber for the facing material, which I think works for the atmosphere I am looking for, that is gentle decay at the end of the line. I think I will continue along the back of the right hand board before doing anything more to the left. That way I can then move forward along the length of the layout without risking any damage caused by having to work across existing detail.

Regards to all Rob

Edited by rcf
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...

Some work on the yard area of the Osney Farmers Association warehouse, including initial work on the carcass of the warehouse, has commenced but there is still some way to go. Nothing is actually fixed down as yet, as you can probably tell from the photos. so far so good!

Rob

SAM_0542.JPG.8944b463e8d5baf9448cef2a08b9617e.JPG

Edited by rcf
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hello Rob that's some fine work and becoming more and more atmospheric as each build gets added and painted.

I'm interested what your take is going to be with in-between the track areas?  I'm just at the stage where my track is wired up and ready to ballast and as I want a similar look to what you have started I'm interested in where you are going next with the remaining bare cork.  I have a pile of cork tiles I can use to infill my spaces and looking at your results I think I will.

I can see you have ballasted your track and painted it having first added some cork infills between the tracks, I was going to ballast every where but that would add a lot of weight to my boards, your use of cork will lessen the ballast weight.  But what are you going to apply to your cork as covering I've done some test painting of bare cork without much sucess?

I'm looking for a worn, worked area so may mix some garden soil and ballast with some hard standing patches [Wills plastic plates] on top of my cork coverings, as I say what are you proposing to do.  :unsure:

Many thanks 

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Rob that's some fine work and becoming more and more atmospheric as each build gets added and painted.

I'm interested what your take is going to be with in-between the track areas?  I'm just at the stage where my track is wired up and ready to ballast and as I want a similar look to what you have started I'm interested in where you are going next with the remaining bare cork.  I have a pile of cork tiles I can use to infill my spaces and looking at your results I think I will.

I can see you have ballasted your track and painted it having first added some cork infills between the tracks, I was going to ballast every where but that would add a lot of weight to my boards, your use of cork will lessen the ballast weight.  But what are you going to apply to your cork as covering I've done some test painting of bare cork without much sucess?

I'm looking for a worn, worked area so may mix some garden soil and ballast with some hard standing patches [Wills plastic plates] on top of my cork coverings, as I say what are you proposing to do.  :unsure:

Many thanks 

Hi Barnaby,

You ask an interesting question. I keep looking at the area between the tracks, and it is a large expanse, relative to the whole layout, and thinking about the very question you have asked, how do I finish that. I am also after a well worn, unmade surface. If you look back at the first page of this saga there are some  photos of Bude Quay, which has the sort of finish I am after. 

I think most of my layouts have used the same approach to the ground level. I use the cork tiles to bring the surface up to sleeper level. This helps to create the allusion of older trackwork but also, as you say, reduces the amount of ballast needed and the potential weight. I have used a skim of modelling clay in some areas and various types of small ballast to portray gravel but in small quantities. I will try and differentiate between the well trafficked parts of the wharf and the little used areas using variations in the colour. I like using washes and build up the colour until I get what I think looks ok.  I may also incorporate some puddles, we'll see.

I haven't really been able to answer your question, I know, but most of my modelling is based on seeing how it goes on the day, so I can only say, watch this space.

Regards Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Such an area may have used ash, there's a plentiful supply for the cost of putting it on a wagon and transporting to site.  It also compacts well and usually is free draining.

If its well drained I won't be able to put any puddles in :scratchhead:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rcf said:

If its well drained I won't be able to put any puddles in :scratchhead:

If it's on under lying clay, puddles will form,  but they don't tend to last for more than a few hours after the rain has stopped,  sorry!

But it does slow the rot of the sleepers as they aren't laying in water.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful stuff, Rob — I’ve not had the leisure to browse RMWeb recently (and sadly no modelling time at all) but whenever I think to look, this is always the topic I hope to see an update on. This project is combining all the best bits of your previous efforts and of course has your trademark atmosphere in spades.

Have you seen any photos of Newham Wharf (in Truro)? This rather reminds me of the place; I think you’d find it interesting if you’ve not already seen. Let me know if you’d like me to pm some pictures.

Reading this, I find myself ever more tempted towards one of those new Dapol riveted-tank panniers...

Adam

4 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Delightful work, as ever, Rob. Certainly doesn't look rushed to me!

David

Hi David, thanks for that. At the moment I am managing to contain my enthusiasm and the results seem to work so it makes it easier to slow things down!

2 hours ago, Calidore said:

Beautiful stuff, Rob — I’ve not had the leisure to browse RMWeb recently (and sadly no modelling time at all) but whenever I think to look, this is always the topic I hope to see an update on. This project is combining all the best bits of your previous efforts and of course has your trademark atmosphere in spades.

Have you seen any photos of Newham Wharf (in Truro)? This rather reminds me of the place; I think you’d find it interesting if you’ve not already seen. Let me know if you’d like me to pm some pictures.

Reading this, I find myself ever more tempted towards one of those new Dapol riveted-tank panniers...

Adam

Hi Adam, thank you for your continued interest and comments. Thanks also for your offer over Newham and pictures, but as it happens, as I type this, I am not a million miles away from Newham Wharf. In fact I often walk down the old branch line, which is now a footpath/cycle path. There are still a few features left, including the old stone built goods shed which has been restored to a business premises and which I have in mind as the inspiration for the last building  on Osney Wharf, although I may well use a little artistic licence.

I also keep looking at the Dapol site, especially the 14xx Class Tanks, would look nice shunting the Wharf!!

Kind regards Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Donw said:

Superb work Rob really full of atmosphere. My 1365 would look quite at home on there.

Don

Hi Don, yes indeed, it would be the perfect loco for the wharf, just shunting the odd wagon around. I can see it in my head!

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...