Disused railway at Monte Carlo

RJS1977

Looking at Google Maps/Street View during the Grand Prix yesterday I noticed what appears to be a disused railway line running approximately parallel to the F1 circuit between the tunnel exit and the chicane - see

http://goo.gl/maps/bi4L

It would appear it is now being used as the Boulevard Larvotto (which continues on the flyover that crosses the circuit just beyond the hairpin).

I can remember the hairpin being referred to as "the Old Station" hairpin so that makes sense.

I've done a couple of quick web searches but haven't turned up much on it so far, but can't help thinking it would make an amazing model either in the era when it was open or as a modern day layout assuming the line to still be open.

It could have everything - running trains, working F1 cars above and below (the old Wrenn Formula 152 might work well for this!), yachts in the marina and spectacular scenery/buildings!

Whilst this idea will never be anything more than a pipe dream for me, if anyone else can turn up any info I might see if I can put a plan together to post on here.

Tree - thanks for the links. The picture of the train crossing the viaduct at Ste Devote is the sort of thing I was looking for - it also gives some idea of the gradient F1 cars face in the first sector of a lap in that that viaduct is way above the level of Ste Devote corner, yet within a few hundred yards, the railway is tunneling under the circuit!

Getting a layout idea already though it's not going to be small!

• RMweb Gold

That is probably part of the former SNCF main line formation before the line was diverted into the long (3km according to Wiki) tunnel in 1999 - there are some useful pics here http://www.railfaneu...Monaco/pix.html I managed to find a good picture of it but the post self-destructed and now I can't find the link so as a consolation here's one of my pics of a steam hauled excursion on Le Train Des Pignes taken while we were holidaying in Nice back in 2000

post-6859-0-74040600-1338242684_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello RJS 1977,

It could well have been similar to the once quite widespread metre gauge network found in SE Provence and the Var region. The video below shows the sole survivor of this very scenic railway system. I've been on this line (it's quite local to me) and photographed it from a car (the line follows the river valley, and road for much of its course). It becomes a semi tramway in Nice and follows the street, possibly a bit like the one in Monaco. It is well worth having a trip on and takes three hours in either direction from Digne les Bain to Nice; it traverses some very wild mountains and loads of viaducts.

I've been on that line as well, as you say it does get into some very impressive scenery.

I was also in Monaco last year for the F1 qualification but that's another story :-)

I wonder if the construction of the underground station ties in with the construction of the large hotel over the grand prix/road tunnel, I think that was completed around 1972/73, when the grand prix track was changed to go around the swimming pool and rascasse restaurant.

plenty of shots of the outside of the station during grand prix

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/image/72048.html

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the construction of the underground station ties in with the construction of the large hotel over the grand prix/road tunnel, I think that was completed around 1972/73, when the grand prix track was changed to go around the swimming pool and rascasse restaurant.

plenty of shots of the outside of the station during grand prix

http://en.espnf1.com...mage/72048.html

I think perhaps not. The first section of railway tunnel was apparently built in 1974. One of the original stations remained in use until the final, long, tunnel was built in 1999 when the new station was built as part of that scheme (I'm not sure what happened in, I think, 2001 when part of the new tunnel collapsed because I presume the other, surface, section had been removed by then. (It seems there were originally two stations - one called Monaco and the other called Monte Carlo but one of them was closed quite a long time back and the remaining one was re-named 'Monaco - Monte Carlo'

Guest oldlugger

Remind me not to waste time providing answers to questions on RMweb in future. When I was a youth, it was customary to acknowledge things done on one's behalf, regardless of perceived relevance, or not. Apparently in the 21st Century such banality is not a requirement. And who am I to shed light on this region? I only live a stone's throw from the said location but personages from the UK are more "in the know" than yours truly!

Cheers!

Guest Natalie Graham

when the grand prix track was changed to go around the swimming pool

It would have been fun to watch before they made that change. Definitely needed the wet tyres.

Remind me not to waste time providing answers to questions on RMweb in future. When I was a youth, it was customary to acknowledge things done on one's behalf, regardless of perceived relevance, or not. Apparently in the 21st Century such banality is not a requirement. And who am I to shed light on this region? I only live a stone's throw from the said location but personages from the UK are more "in the know" than yours truly!

Cheers!

OldLugger - sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence! Thank you for your contribution too, which was very intersting even if not what I was looking for. Please forgive my oversight.

• RMweb Gold

The main line through Monaco has been moved twice. I can't remember all the details but there have been articles about it in the SNCFS Journal. It would be quite a long time since the line was above ground at that location, I think.

But agreed that the combination of rockfaces and tall buildings would make a sensational layout even without F1 racing cars.

There is a thread on here about HTM. Imagine one of their Chapelon PLM Pacifics hauling the OCEM rake or the CIWL Pullmans on such a layout with plenty of the superb 1:43 scale models of French road vehicles from Norev and others on the streets.

Guest oldlugger

OldLugger - sorry, I didn't mean to cause offence! Thank you for your contribution too, which was very intersting even if not what I was looking for. Please forgive my oversight.

Much obliged.

• 2 weeks later...

Cabri (www.cabri.fr) do a DVD cabride in a modern unit featuring Monaco. It is a while since I watched it (my copy is on VHS lurking somewhere in the garage). From memory it includes a fair coverage of the station including the large crowds dealt with during the Grand Prix complete with police and dogs on crowd control. Also a short bit on the new station in the tunnel.

I can remember getting off at the old station. My companion was pleased to arrive as we shared the couchette with what Enid Blyton would have no doubt described as 'some swarthy fellows' and I think she was worried we would get murdered in our bunks!

With the price of land and lack of space in Monaco it was inevitable. The new station has 3 through roads, the northern (eastbound) platform is an island platform. I don't know if the track now runs exclusively under french territory, going below the french town of Beausoleil (which has a totally invisible border with Monaco), as the railway is someway into the hillside and Monaco isn't the biggest of countries.

You can still see the western tunnel mouths very clearly from the exotic/cactus garden and a short length of the old track bed leading away from them. Trying to follow the old alignment much beyond them through Monaco is a bit harder from up there,

Monaco on a wet Saturday afternoon isn't the most glamorous of places. I speak from personal experience from two months ago.

Archived