SR Van B (misnamed as Gangwayed Luggage Van)

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I daren't eat out down Padstow these days!!!!

Fish and chips here from the chippy is over a fiver now! :O Padstow you wont see much change out of a tenner in some places !

You're not talking about the wonderful Mr Steins place are you ? I shared some with the wife the last time we were there.I'd rather have the Van B now. :no:

2 thai curries last night, £6 each and 2 drinks at over a fiver for two so last nights bill came to just under £30.

Unless of course you aren't drinking.

Well, you didnt say drinks as well, that makes it a bit open-ended IMO. But assuming you mean two rounds of two drinks, I make that £12 for the curries plus £10-something for drinks - that's £22-something...

Not that this has anything to do with the B of course, which is still good value whatever spurious comparison one chooses :offtopic:

2 thai curries last night, £6 each and 2 drinks at over a fiver for two so last nights bill came to just under £30.

Sorry missed out a word.........'the' so 2 curries, 3 drinkiepoos came to £28 summat.

Must admit I've never gone into a pub and just eaten.

Not to sure how its a spurious comparison, perhaps it should have been bootlaces.

I suppose I could cook the Bogie B (!) fried or boiled?

Received an OLIVE one from Hattons today. its now not any really discernable colour, just plain dirty!!

A word of advice be careful of the buffer heads ( buffers are sprung BTW) they are prone to part from the shafts as I have just found out!

A very nice model though ------------Well Done Hornby

just plain dirty!!

The only 'colour' I remember them being! (Tho they may just have been banger blue underneath!

There was one at Par docks for yonks, there was talk at one time of Bodmin MRC having it as a club room! Its gone now, preservation somewhere perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

Received an OLIVE one from Hattons today. its now not any really discernable colour, just plain dirty!!

A word of advice be careful of the buffer heads ( buffers are sprung BTW) they are prone to part from the shafts as I have just found out!

A very nice model though ------------Well Done Hornby

Any photos ? Is the underframe nicely detailed.It looks it from the Hattons pics.

The underframe is quite well detailed, I have taken a couple of pics with a Bachmann Green GUV which also arrived today ( currently only £17 at Hatttons)

I spoke to Hattons today and they said that they did not know when the next delivery of BR livery SR vans is due!!

post-10539-0-72836700-1338574495.jpg

post-10539-0-07113200-1338574513.jpg

post-10539-0-79952400-1338574528.jpg

post-10539-0-76458600-1338575428.jpgOn the subject of Non revenue passenger vehicles ( Vans)

Can I bring to the attention of those interested, the Hornby Thomas Works Unit Van R9690

appears to be very similar to the forthcoming R 6575 CCT van except possible for the couplings ( I use Kadees so no problem for me)

Its a nice matt darkish brown colour and just ripe for weathering and only £13.

post-10539-0-50365000-1338575440.jpg

Hmmm,.... I don't like to say this.....but....

Does anyone think,... that the roof rain / water strips, over the doors, look a little too flat ? . I.e, not arched enough ?

All in all, though, praise where it's due, Hornby. A very nice model, and well conceived. Thanks.

P.s.

On one of my BR versions, part of the underframe brake rodding was mis-positioned & glued on, with a touch of the heavy hand... Bent, and out of place.

.....A bit like me, really...

Cheers.

My only quibble is that they are very lightweight so the trackholding isn't brilliant at the head of a weighty train. Probably easily fixable with some lead sheet to the interior floor, but its not often that I'm wary of taking something apart so haven't even attempted it yet...this one is on the delicate side! Still, they'll consign my Ratio vans to a siding somewhere out of the way none the less.

I'm wary of taking something apart so haven't even attempted it yet...this one is on the delicate side! Still, they'll consign my Ratio vans to a siding somewhere out of the way none the less.

Tis one of the easiest vans on the market to remove the body. Just slip something thin betwixt sole bar and body (Both sides at the same time) and apart they come.

No screws to slacken, vacuum pipes to bend out of the way… nuffink…

Porcy

My only quibble is that they are very lightweight so the trackholding isn't brilliant at the head of a weighty train. Probably easily fixable with some lead sheet to the interior floor, but its not often that I'm wary of taking something apart so haven't even attempted it yet...this one is on the delicate side! Still, they'll consign my Ratio vans to a siding somewhere out of the way none the less.

A couple of pieces of lead in each end mounted close to the bogie pivot points, vastly improves running and ensures Kadee couplings uncouple correctly.

As mentioned above the body is easily removed without problems.

As matter of interest I use 'Sea Fishing' weights from a local angling store, these are lead ( still) and available very economically in many different sizes, easily cut and Pounded into the required shape, but do wash your hands well after use Lead is poisonous!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the steer towards your review Graham - it encouraged me to part with some cash at the weekend! A lovely model as has been said; while the rain strips look a bit flat, they do at least match those on the Van C.

• RMweb Premium

There seems to have been some debate both here and in other hallowed halls of discussion of all things Southern Region over the subject of the rain strips. I have in front of me the 1982 Platform 5 Coaching Stock Pocket Book and on the back cover is a colour picture of a nice grotty grimy blue Van 'B' and those rain strips look as straight as the ones on the van I have purchased so to me at least I think they are right.

Mine by the way is part way through a repaint into faded rail blue as a Departmental engineers van for which it will be suitably heavily weathered.

There seems to have been some debate both here and in other hallowed halls of discussion of all things Southern Region over the subject of the rain strips. I have in front of me the 1982 Platform 5 Coaching Stock Pocket Book and on the back cover is a colour picture of a nice grotty grimy blue Van 'B' and those rain strips look as straight as the ones on the van I have purchased so to me at least I think they are right.

I agree with you. In many of my photos they appear nearly straight - although whether they are in the correct position on the model I'll leave to others.

Paul Bartlett

A couple of pieces of lead in each end mounted close to the bogie pivot points, vastly improves running and ensures Kadee couplings uncouple correctly.

As mentioned above the body is easily removed without problems.

As matter of interest I use 'Sea Fishing' weights from a local angling store, these are lead ( still) and available very economically in many different sizes, easily cut and Pounded into the required shape, but do wash your hands well after use Lead is poisonous!

Received mine today. Pockets a smidge too low for Kadee NEMs.

• RMweb Premium

Having handled mine a lot during its transformation into battered weathered faded blue (pics to follow when it is finished) I have to say that for the money, this is an exquisite model, lots of lovely detail, even the lamp irons on the ends are seperate etched fittings. I didn't think I would be saying it this year after some of their clunking great cock-ups of late but well done Hornby, deserves to do very well in the Model of the Year polls.

Meanwhile I have found a picture on Flickr of a BR Blue example that is actually clean:

Van NFV S257 Didcot

May have to pick up a second van now and do this one as well...

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the topic of the rain strips there is certainly evidence in their later years after roof replacement / repairs of them being fitted with straight strips or even none at all. They certainly when new had curved strips. I will probably modify mine accordingly and agree as per my review linked above that it is an excellent model.

If only a smidge - I hadn't checked mine when installing - just bend the tail up a smidge to compensate. Kadee make pliers for that, but any pair should be good enough if you're gentle.

Got the pliers but have never used them. Generally i like to get the knuckles spot on which sometimes means ripping out the whole NEM pocket and putting in a Kadee gearbox instead. In this case it looks a little tricky.

Archived