SR Van B (misnamed as Gangwayed Luggage Van)

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

For those interested, a certain Sheffield based emporium has them available for pre order at the very reasonable price of £22.95!

Cheers

J

That's a good price.Shame there's no olive version to pre order. :cry:

That's a good price.Shame there's no olive version to pre order. :cry:

I picked up an olive van b today at my local shop in Kirkcaldy, Scoonie Hobbies they have one more left today, I got it for last years retail price £27.99 but when you consider on eBay for £45 its a bargain.

I picked up an olive van b today at my local shop in Kirkcaldy, Scoonie Hobbies they have one more left today, I got it for last years retail price £27.99 but when you consider on eBay for £45 its a bargain.

I missed out on the B Vans when they first came out as I did not know there was a supply problem with Hornby Railways. I hope I do not miss out on the BR green one as there is one on the Swanage Railway that I am modelling. I think Hornby based their models on the two preserved B Vans on the Swanage Railway.

I picked up one of the crimson models as well and I agree that the body is coloured plastic, this is becoming a worrying trend from Hornby at the moment, the LMS cct was only £13 but this is supposed to be a full spec model retailing at £28 its not a railroad price. I am going to give mine a heavy coat of dirt but I feel that this is step back back to the 70s with the Sentinals the ccts and now this model all using coloured plastic bodies! 

I'm not convinced that the recent crimson CCT and ex SR Passenger Brake van are coloured plastic only. I've compared both to the ex LNER crimson non gangwayed Gresley coaches and the sheen and colour are comparable to the finish on the Gresley coaches. There has been no concern that the Gresley crimson coaches are other than painted. There was a similar view expressed in another thread, regarding the finish on the new diesel Sentinels, however another poster queried with Hornby and Simon Koehler advised the Sentinels were painted. You can be deceived into thinking a model is just self coloured plastic, if the manufacturer uses a plastic colour close to the final finish. I assume some manufacturers go this route to stop 'blead through' from any markedly different colour used in the moulding process of the model. It may be just my old tired eyes playing tricks.

According to Hattons the Hornby R4536B BR green B van is expected on or after Monday 24 February 2014. You can pre-order it for £24 but after paying £4 for postage you may as well get one from your local model shop for £29 providing that Hornby will supply enough of them.

Your very lucky if you have a local model shop that will cost you less than £4 to get to.

You can order these off the Hornby website for £28.99 . I think if your order is for more than £30 Hornby don't charge postage either. Depending upon how much you'r going to buy during the year it could be worth joining the Hornby collectors club too at £27. Then you get 10% off everything and a £20 voucher, so it only really costs £7 to join, of which you'd get almost £3 back straight away.

You'r probably guaranteed to get everything you want this way too !

• RMweb Premium

My BR blue one arrived from Hattons yesterday.

First impressions are very good - finely moulded body with plenty of separate detail (handrails, etc), flush glazing, crisp and legible lettering and sprung buffers. Window bars are printed (white) on the inside of the glazing. Underframe detail is also good, though delicate (I accidentally snapped one piece of brake linkage, easily repaired with MEK) and includes separately applied stepboards and the vac pipe running the length of one solebar.

TOPS coded NFV and numbered S256, all-over blue with grey roof and chalk boards, later 'double flash' OLE warnings on the ends, high vac pipe and roof periscopes. Torpedo vents seem a tad undernourished?

S256 was from the final 1952, BR Lancing-built batch (S251-280)

Conversion to EM (Gibson 14mm coach discs) required removal of all the brake shoes and the NEM mounts removed while the bogies were off as I use screw couplings.

Comparison with pics on Paul Bartlett's site, the SEMG page and elsewhere show that, while removal of the torp vents and periscopes was commonplace, it wasn't universal, so the option to retain them on the model remains for 70s and 80s modellers

Paul's site has a photo of S256 from 1986 which show torp vents retained, but periscopes removed and low vac pipes. Also looks like the side doors were replaced with plywood ones at some point. A photo of very clean S257 from 1979 in the old Bradford Barton 'BR Parcels Stock' book also shows torp vents but no periscopes, so I think I'll remove the periscopes only and swap the high vac pipe for a low one and fit steam heat pipes too, along with a heavy coat of grot!

Hmmm... I just might have to buy another... :derisive:

• RMweb Gold

While they may have stopped (re-)painting them in crimson in 1956, Van Bs wearing that colour would have been on the rails for several years afterwards. 

Paul

I can remember seeing odd ones that were probably still in crimson about 1962 but, by then, most had a generous covering of grotty brown/grey with only hints of the original colour showing through! Green ones, having had more recent visits to the paint shop, tended to look slightly less disreputable.  

John

The EM conversion?? 

Pop out the OO wheels

Snip off all the brake shoes (side cutters)

Pop in EM wheels.

I was thinking of the finished van. I was particularly interested to see how the bogie looks after you have removed the NEM pockets and the brakes.

Blue B Van at Corfe Castle. This has been restored by the Sygnets, a group of volunteers under 16, for their headquarters. It was interesting that they chose to paint it in BR blue livery. I think Hornby took the measurements for this model from this van and are planning to give some to the young volunteers.post-17621-0-97323300-1390513660_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've seen that the new BR green version R4536B has started to appear in shops and the Hornby website, but no photos yet. Can anyone confirm please whether the word GUARD is the correct size this time. Thanks in advance.

post-17621-0-03717000-1394188016_thumb.jpg My green B Van arrived this morning at 09:54. I think the word GUARD is correct this time. If you go back to Post 81 you will see my picture of the prototype at Corfe Castle Station. The information on the box lid is R4536B BR BOGIE Passenger Brake. I would like Hornby to put BR(SR) GREEN BOGIE B VAN S3217S on the lid so I can easily identify it and put it in the right box.

I've seen that the new BR green version R4536B has started to appear in shops and the Hornby website, but no photos yet. Can anyone confirm please whether the word GUARD is the correct size this time. Thanks in advance.

Archived