SR Van B (misnamed as Gangwayed Luggage Van)

gwrrob

attachicon.gif001.JPG My green B Van arrived this morning at 09:54. I think the word GUARD is correct this time. If you go back to Post 81 you will see my picture of the prototype at Corfe Castle Station. The information on the box lid is R4536B BR BOGIE Passenger Brake. I would like Hornby to put BR(SR) GREEN BOGIE B VAN S3217S on the lid so I can easily identify it and put it in the right box.

How about a semi-adhesive little piece of paper (a post-it?) with your chosen wording applied placed on the box where you can see it?

HTH

Stan

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My R4536B has finally arrived in Portugal after over three weeks in transit. Typical of Royal Mail at the moment unfortunately. Anyway, I compared it to the original version since they were made by different factories - the latest by Refined Industries (REF code on box), the original by Sanda Kan (SK code).

As already reported, the guards compartment internal detail is missing from the new version, but my box did include the close couplers, so whoever posted earlier to say they were missing must have been unlucky. In other respects they are pretty much identical in terms of build quality and printing and the "GUARD" lettering is now the correct size.

However....the colours are not exactly the same. The green is more matt on the newer version and both the green and grey for the roof are, to me at least, slightly more yellow in tone. I took a few photos - this is the only one that gives a clue to the differences. Not great quality as taken on an iPhone.

EDIT: B version on top.

post-3868-0-62580000-1395826947.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump but...

If anyone is after an original (Sanda Kan manufactured) R4535 SR Maunsell green Van B, the Hobby Box in Uckfield have (had) at least two in stock recently. (November 2015) (down from at least 3 - one is now mine...!).

Rather surprised to see these, as I seemed to recall the original releases generally sold out very quickly, and the SR livery has not been re-released after the ‘A’ version. A really great model. Pictures with other Maunsell stock when time permits.

A great shop as well, and some other hidden gems in stock.. No connection, other than as a very satisfied customer (who may also have come away with quite a bit more than a Van B… :-o)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Would be any chance of making a new models of these?

I think you'll find this is the new model, released around 08/09. When the rest of the Maunsells coaches were produced. Definitely not the one that is included in the Winston Churchill pack.

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll find this is the new model, released around 08/09. When the rest of the Maunsells coaches were produced. Definitely not the one that is included in the Winston Churchill pack.

Indeed. This vehicle is a bogie brake vehicle, without gangways. The hearse vehicle in the Churchill pack is a gangwayed luggage van, that has been in the Tri-ang and Hornby catalogues with little real modification since the Ark grounded. The anniversary has offered yet another livery and more sales.

Is there a thread or a blog anywhere on RMWeb detailing available RTR parcels/luggage/newspaper stock (currently available and past production) suitable for a 1970s Southern Region layout? I'm well aware that a lot of early vehicle types lasted into the 1980s and there is a wealth of prototype information available on the 'net. I'm just tying myself up in knots to try and find out who produced what and when.

Unless you're modelling the Tonbridge- Hastings line, you can supplement the SR vans with BR and pre-Nationalisation stock from the other three companies.

Ex-BR; GUV (Bachmann/ Lima), CCT (Bachmann/Lima), BG (Hornby)

ex-GWR; Hawkesworth BG (Hornby) and Siphon G (Lima)

ex-LMS; Stanier 50' BG (Hornby/ Bachmann), CCT (Hornby), 42' Bogie CCT (Lima), BZ (Dapol-Hornby magazine)

ex-LNER; Gresley (Hornby) and Thompson (Bachmann)BG, 'Long CCT' (Hornby)

David Larkin's 'BR Parcels and Passenger -Rated Stock- Volume 1' has photos of examples of all of these types on the SR during the period in question.

Archived