So I thought I'd finally start a layout thread that might actually get a layout on it as I've been able to spend some time building the base boards.

Things that are definite about the layout:

1. It will be in an "L" shape, 2ft wide and 8ft on each "leg"

2. It will provide "end to end" operation

3. It is an excuse to run the following locos:

• Bachmann class 66
  • Hornby class 92
  • Hornby class 43 set (still in intercity colours, will probably repaint into FGW/GNER)

The layout will look similar to the following (thanks to all those in this thread who helped out!):

7249497012_65cfb28773_z.jpg

However that is subject to change based on my opinion once I've built the base boards!

Work on the baseboards started today. They are made from 9mm Ply with battens made of 21x21 PSE:

This is the space:

7307107466_0b97994c97_b_d.jpg

These are the boards:

7307113678_13c65fe4c2_b_d.jpg

And this is what I ended up with after a morning's work:

7307616514_cf4f24fefa_b_d.jpg

7309250482_24a067bfb3_b_d.jpg

7307744776_5b8919b53b_b_d.jpg

The boards are connected and aligned using Cabinet Maker's dowels from Station Road Baseboards on Ebay.

I've got another 3ft section to make and then I can start on the layout for this "leg". The track will curve around on the 2x2 board and then link to the second "leg" which has yet to be purchased/built.

More updates as they come... :)

So I've worked on the layout a bit more today and I've ended up with this:

7315250954_fb605d5f66.jpg

This gives me a large Fiddle Yard (bottom left) and a hidden track to run some stock around (or just send a sprinter past the depot every now and again!).

I also have an area in which to stable my locos (the 06 will probably be left out in the cold on the road next to the shed!) and a couple of private sidings to allow me to find an excuse to purchase a nuclear flask and a class 20!

The hardstanding/loading area will provide Intermodal services and I may even put in a gantry crane if I'm drunk enough and on eBay... :)

Now all I need to do is put legs on the boards and start building...

The legs are assembled and on the first base board.

It took two attempts at this - the first legs were like Bambie, so I've added the ability to fold them and lock them in place:

7335088960_b39e5b31c3.jpg

I'm using small window/cupboard door clasps to keep the frames locked in place:

7335081380_1e99d64434.jpg

7335077248_a5b9fa37c7.jpg

And the legs fold up into place giving me this:

7335072774_5b927e5c8e.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the result as it seems to be rock-solid, one down, four more to go...

constructive critasisim:

I'm building a L shape end to end layout. end to end offers more detail and shunting compared to loops which turn into race tracks!!!!

i would personally make the fiddle yard half the width of the board, so there is some room and the front of the fiddle yard for maybe a small station as you mentioned a DMU. you should have a look at the few pics on my blog ( MurrayField Junction)

always here to help!!!

hi Matt,

Pretty impressive carpentry work there - I like the plan too. Good luck with the project.

cheers,

Keith

PS - glad my garage is not unique in being so 'busy'...

Thanks Keith,

One of the issues we have (and one of the reasons that this layout is modular) is that we rent our house so we don't have access to the loft.

I'm hoping that by making the baseboard in sections that if/when we move on I can just pick it up, load it into the car and set it up again at the next place.

M.

constructive critasisim:

I'm building a L shape end to end layout. end to end offers more detail and shunting compared to loops which turn into race tracks!!!!

i would personally make the fiddle yard half the width of the board, so there is some room and the front of the fiddle yard for maybe a small station as you mentioned a DMU. you should have a look at the few pics on my blog ( MurrayField Junction)

always here to help!!!

Thanks, I'm still in two minds about the DMU/EMU stuff as my real interest is in freight. I also won't have access to the back of the base board (or at least not with a great deal of ease!) hence the reason for the FY at the bottom end of the layout.

also make sure that the corners on the track aren't to tight as the class 66 tends to ping of the boards. are you going DCC!!!!!

I'm hoping that I've planned that correctly - I don't believe I've got anything tighter than 2nd radius so the 66 should be OK.

I will be going DCC, however as I'm building my own controller out of an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi, it willprobably be single loco operation DC for the first few months.

Kind regards,

M.

I've spent the day out with the family on the Dean Forest Railway at their "Thomas day" - the kids got a load of train rides and I got to see an 08 working close up as well as the other stock down @ lydney junction - I didn't realise they had a 37 in EWS livery, does anyone know if that's for parts or whether it's going to be restored?

Anyway, all that time spent down there got me more determined to finish the basebaords etc, however as the hardware store was closed when we returned home, I printed out my trackplan in 1:1 and (27 sheets of A4 and a couple of hours of cropping later!) I now have a "life-size" (but still 00 gauge obviously) copy of my layout to play around with.

First impressions are that it should all work fine, however I might have to shorten some of the sidings that get a bit too close to the back-scene for comfort.

I'm hoping to get the parts/timber to finish the frames in the next couple of weeks as well as the cork underlay so I can really start building!

Thanks to all @ DFR for the inspiration today!

P.S. I saw a Bachmann SWT Class 170 in their shop for £60, looked like an excellent deal but couldn't quite justify it as I'm saving up for a 20....

A few shots of the base boards with some track down on top of the paper layout and a few locos in place for scale:

7358787184_1eaa232a16.jpg

7358790464_e2a503eb0a.jpg

7358793660_19232ec4a9.jpg

I've still got to put the legs on the 2' square end board, however at least it's starting to come together!

More track purchased today (the SL-90 at the top of the layout) from Forest of Dean Model and Sweetshop in Bream.

I did purchase some cork, but someone on these forums also happens to work with me and offered to buy it from me for his layout so I'll probably be back to the model shop tomorrow (/me notices the time and corrects himself) today.

Once I've got the cork, I'll start to lay the track using double-sided tape to hold it in place whilst I ballast and then PVA/Fairy mix to hold it all in place.

There's not going to be much change from the layout design above, although I may yet move the private sidings onto the same road as the shed/terminus.

More updates (hopefully with pictures!) tomorrow, however for now all the track required for the first 6' from the top right of the layout is bluetac'd over the top of the paper and waiting for the cork to arrive...

Cheers,

MattWallace

One of the biggest issues I've had when layout track in the past is how to make sure that it is in the right place without measuring to the nearest mm.

Last night, I solved this issue by cutting out the track from my full-size printouts but leaving the surrounds in place as a template:

7184064719_da8a559f37.jpg

I then removed the template from the plywood and put the cork down:

7184070723_ed54e53fc9.jpg

The template then was laid back ontop:

7184085147_9850d1e53c.jpg

And I slid the track in underneath the template to align in the gaps:

7184086459_2bfc3cafc9.jpg

I also managed to get the legs on the 2x2' board built and put that board in place:

7184342951_c345a28425.jpg

Although I have run into an issue that may cause me to loose 1' from the "trailing end" of the layout (yet to be built). Work will be carried out to see if this is avoidable, however if it is not, then I may well have to redesign for a 5x2' FY and an 8x2' layout...

I've been refining the layout based on my general unhappiness with the Fiddle Yard.

The new layout looks as follows:

7375731766_95b851eb5f_b.jpg

This gives me a nice flowing layout with a few short sidings and some longer ones for the Intermodal area, a headshunt in what I think is a reasonable location (the double slip allows the shunter to access the sidings without too much effort).

It also gives me a number of large sidings in the fiddle yard and (possibly my favourite part of the layout!) a v. short (12") single-track traverser that is just large enough to hold a loco, enabling it to pull in a load, de-couple (kadees are my friends here!) and then traverse to either another road to run round or back out through the shed.

I'm a lot happier with this layout (even if I have lost some of the length on the freight yard) so now I need to crack on with the final boards and design the traverser.

Thoughts/comments welcome as always! :)

A revised track plan:

7414538644_2ee84af962_b.jpg

This is far simpler (and therefore more achievable) with a small goods yard and a branch line for scenics.

The story of the layout is that this was once a bustling goods/passenger interchange back in the "good old days" before railway cuts removed many of the old roads on the goods yard.

The passenger halt was retained for the large village that had grown up around the goods yard, and because of it's strategic location a small goods yard was retained.

Scenics have yet to be confirmed, however it will probably be set in the suburbs and the branchline may well be based on severn beach.

Comments as always are welcome,

Matt

I've managed to get another baseboard built and I'm starting to see just how big this layout is going to be:

7465020938_20f65526ed_b.jpg

Unfortunately it appears I forgot to measure correctly and didn't account for two large beams of timber running up the side of the garage wall (you can just see one of them on the right of the above picture). This means that my final baseboard needs to be shortened by approx 2" before I can finally start laying track. Not the worst of news, but a pain in the backside all the same... :)

Underneath all that paper, the cork is down for the first three boards (running along the right of the picture) and I'm back off to F.O.D. models this morning before work to (hopefully) get the rest of the cork and some N-Gauge ballast (along with other required trackwork).

I have also settled on my final plan:

7465101088_29215cf932_b.jpg

This gives me plenty of space for DMU/EMU operation "in the background" with a small docks in the foreground for Intermodal etc. The docks is still very much dependant on how brave I am regarding cutting up my baseboards and sinking part of it and may well end up just being a hardstanding for lorries to then relay on to the docks themselves, but we'll see... :)

I'm hoping to post a few more updates over the weekend and I'm looking forward to the Members Day next weekend so be warned, I'll be asking lots of questions about lots of things - I'm only just realising how new to all this I actually am!

I think the raised station in the background will look good, and much better now you've added a link to the rest of the layout.

Scenery wise, if you don't want to cut the base boards, you could always raise the track up and have the top of the board as sea level. I'm not sure how much you'd need to raise it to look realistic in relation to the ships, but I'm sure someone here does.... You might also want to consider some kind of sea wall in front of the shed area, otherwise it might look like the sea just stops to the left of the port.

I think the raised station in the background will look good, and much better now you've added a link to the rest of the layout.

Scenery wise, if you don't want to cut the base boards, you could always raise the track up and have the top of the board as sea level. I'm not sure how much you'd need to raise it to look realistic in relation to the ships, but I'm sure someone here does.... You might also want to consider some kind of sea wall in front of the shed area, otherwise it might look like the sea just stops to the left of the port.

Heh, hadn't thought of that, good catch... :)

I started laying track last night and I've got most of the "mainline" down now - I'm hoping to get the majority of the branchline done tonight and tomorrow night so I can start ballasting at some point this week.

Even though I'm not exhibiting (and have no intention of doing so with this layout in future!) the member's day has been an excellent catlyst for me to get my backside into gear - Now all I need is the time to move a few things in the garage so I can slot in the final baseboard!

I've managed to electrify the track using crocodile clips and have run my 66 with a double rake of intermodal flats around the "dock" area and it all fits quite nicely. I'll never be able to run a scale 3/4 mile intermodal on it, but then again, I've only got 8ft to play with and I need to fit the points in somewhere!

I'll try and get some photos up once I've got the branchline down, I'm hoping to get a sprinter/Class 170 this week for the branchline so there'll probably be a whole slew of photos once that arrives :)

OK, the bulk of the branchline is down and I've tested it with a class 66 and a couple of intermodals - looks like I'm going to be able to fit a 3-car DMU into the platform so I'm now on the hunt for a 3-car 170 and a 2-car 158 Express Sprinter (as well as the Gronk for the docks and a couple of pallet wagons).

I've also taken the decision to re-paint my Hornby class 43's into Network Rail Yellow to form a measurement train - at least I can then run a 43 on the layout that is only 3 cars long! It also makes this 43 set a sacrificial offering for me to practice installing new lights etc. into locos as a practice for any future modifications I might want to make.

I'll try and get a few photos up over the next couple of days.

Just a quick update as I've finally managed to get some photos of the track that's been laid:

7502302902_30d603ab31_b.jpg

7502306762_c2c2a1c9c4_b.jpg

7502310398_cb89c39bef_b.jpg

7502472186_5c9a2784d2_b.jpg

The fiddle yard will go to the far left (where the polystyrene is currently) and I'm hoping to build that next week...

OK, so a major update to the layout since the members day (but no pictures yet!)

The first is that after a long conversation with TwoToneGreen (thanks Andy!) and a few others, I have converted my Class 66 to DCC and purchased a Bachmann EZCommand basic DCC controller that will suffice until I can save up for a Lenz/ECoS system. Now I just need to work out whether it's worth converting my 92 and 06 or just selling them on eBay and buying more Class 66s and an 08 with DCC Sound... ;)

The second is that I have sacrificed the track from the branch line to complete the Goods Yard/FiddleYard/Mainline/TMD section of the layout and the DCC is working well.

I need to visit the model shop for a couple more lengths of SL-100/101 and then I'll complete the branchline.

With the track almost all in place, I'm hoping to start work on the wiring/point motors in the next few days as well - busy times!

Thanks again to all who provided inspiration at the members day,

MW

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing much to report however I have managed to get the holes drilled for most of the droppers onto the DCC Bus and drilled other holes for the point motors.

My plan (to make things much easier on myself!) is to use PL-10 solenoids mounted under the baseboard for most of the point work on the main layout but switch to PL-11 (SetTrack side-mounted solenoids) for the single and double slips as well as in the fiddle yard.

With the droppers, I plan on purchasing some adhesive copper tape and a roll each of red and black insulating tape. The copper will be stuck in two strips along the length of the baseboard, with red "indicators" on one strip and black on the other to make it easier to wire. I'll then solder all the droppers onto these lengths of tape and feed the tape at one end of the layout.

I'm also waiting for my order of LEDs and Switches to come in to the local model shop so I can start work on the control panel. My plan at the moment is to wire for a manual control panel but in such a way that I can switch between manual and automated once I've finished the computer control stuff using a couple of basic 24-pin D connectors.

I'm hoping to get to the model shop later on today for some more motor mounts and I'll report back (maybe even with a video!) once the motors are in :)

• 2 weeks later...

After much discussion about the signalling, the layout has been simplified further and will now have the "mainline" completely off the board as an imagined part of the layout (until I get more room... ;) )

The layout now looks like this:

7696252796_9cd824285e_b.jpg

And operation will be along the lines of the following (once I've saved up enough for the rolling stock/locos!):

The "Branchline" will become a small 2-road freight depot, fenced off from the rest of the layout.

Goods wagons will come in on the purple track from the "mainline" (fiddle yard) and drop off in the receiving sidings (bright green). A shunter (probably the 08 from Hornby when it comes out but eventually I hope to build the Judith Edge Hunslet DH50-2) will then propel the wagons from the sidings into the works (dark green).

Once "filled"/"emptied", the wagons will be pulled out of the works (dark green) back to the sidings (light green) for collection.

Just for fun (and to prove that there is actually current running thorough the track!) I took the following video of my 66 moving from the works through to the headshunt on the receiving sidings - it's so nice to see things working at last!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WquQZLKaXLE

Sorry about the poor quality, it was shot on my phone and as you will see, the track needs quite a bit of a clean before I can really start running stuff. I'm starting to be seriously tempted by the Dapol DCC Track cleaner... :O

More updates to come... :)

Archived