skipburn

robrailltd

Hi guys on the old forum I launched myself well and truely into fantasy time. With what I am myself willing to admit would of been an impossible task.

So I have decided to scale back and build a more do-able layout. Ie less junctions and a simplified layout. I'm going to build Blackburn station. My plan which will be added at a near future date,is for the scenic break to be the tunnel mouth upto the overbridge at Mill Hill station. This includes the junction to Bolton and the sidings.

So I hear you ask, why call it Skipburn? Well what happened if Barbara Castle didn't get her way with the A59? My proposal is that the line between Colne and Skipton was NOT closed and that the main route Skipton to Preston was electrified. As is typical of most elctrifications of the era that Skipton was done, the funding wasnt there for all the routes. so with Hebden Bridge and Manchester Victoria to Clitheroe still in the hands of diesels still leaves plenty of variaty.

All comments welcome guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you are 'scaling down' to build Blackburn Station I hate to think what your original plans were. wink.gif

What scale are we talking? OO or N? Either way the curves look very tight indeed, particularly the one bottom left.

Have you ever downlaoded and used the design program called XtrkCad? It allows you to have an accurate representation of what you can achieve in a given space.

I'll be interested to see pics. I'm doing something similar. Craven Bridge is what would have happened if Barnoldswick had been a through station. Elements of Skipton overlaid on Barlick, 00, late 50's early 60's when I lived there.

What scale are you doing and what era?

n gague and post elctrification of skipton so 2000 onwards witha few retro liveries. the bottom left curve is inside blackburn tunnel which the mouth of is the scenic brake leading onto oneof the fiddleyard areas. that is xtracad i'll try abetter upload with clearer detail. should also point out being lazy and struggling to make flexitrack on xtracad i have used normal set curves which will of course give way to flexitrack

• RMweb Premium

lloks interesting. You could also do WCML diversions via the S & C with the 57/3's being added /subtracted here as well plus all the through frieght via Hellifield. Is it a fixed layout or an exhibition one.

Jamie

due to the nature of where i live the layout will need to go away at end of play each day so i guess that means i can be an exhibitable layout. i was thinking a wooden frame which wooden 5mm ply then topped with foam/styrene topper to providea decent work surface. what you reckon? the otherpoint is it needs to be light weight-ish

• RMweb Premium

Whether its going to be viewed by the public or just by you is a fairly basic decision that needs making at the start. One is from the inside the other from the outside. However if you are going to build it so that it can be stripped down regularly then you will have to have good alignment of the boards/track ends etc, which is half way to an exhibition layout. It is possible with removable backscenes to have scenery that looks OK from both sides. The other consideration is how many operating positions and where they are etc. If you do go for a portable exhibitable layout then quite a lot of thought needs to go into baseboard design to withstand the rigours of transport and 'enthusuatic' helpers at shows. Also suc h thin gs as bhow the b oardsa re going to be protected for trasnport, eg do they pair up or do they each stand alone which takes up a lot of car/van space. However exhibiting can be great fun. I've just gone through the process with Lancaster Green Ayre, and even now I am still making minor changes to the board design.

Jamie

• 2 months later...

Archived