Hornby Sapphire

I would be interested in seeing the Mini Sapphire when this transpires.

N

I have just been going through our copy of the Hornby order form for 2010 and the mini sapphire has disappeared. I can't find it on the Hornby site either, so it looks as though this is another Hornby DCC product that has disappeared into the digital ether!!

Purchased the Sapphire Decoder to see what It was like for myself. Tryed it in my Class 101, and it gave very poor running, track was in good condition and everything?! Put it into my Class 60, and ran perfectly?! so seems this decoder doesnt like Hornbys DMU motor at all :unsure:

NL

Purchased the Sapphire Decoder to see what It was like for myself. Tryed it in my Class 101, and it gave very poor running, track was in good condition and everything?! Put it into my Class 60, and ran perfectly?! so seems this decoder doesnt like Hornbys DMU motor at all unsure.gif

NL

Did you try adjusting any of the CVs to tweak it for the DMU ? These days it seems quite rare for a decoder to be loco specific , but adjusting CVs for good running is common enough , so this may be an issue.

The mechanisms are radically different - a lightweight motor bogie compared with a big heavy centre motor all wheel drive chassis . This may be part of the issue.

What exactly was poor about the running?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Hornby Saphire in my Bachmann 7F and I use dynamis's and I have no problem with any other decoders but the Saphire....I run a slow speeds and from the start the 7F stutters from the start and does not get much better. All my other 21pin decoders are Bachmann and give excellent performance....I have tried altering the CV's and eventually gave up and reset it factory settings.........I just give up with it.......I will give it up as a bad decsition and get another Bachmann 21 pin....

I have a Hornby Saphire in my Bachmann 7F and I use dynamis's and I have no problem with any other decoders but the Saphire....I run a slow speeds and from the start the 7F stutters from the start and does not get much better. All my other 21pin decoders are Bachmann and give excellent performance....I have tried altering the CV's and eventually gave up and reset it factory settings.........I just give up with it.......I will give it up as a bad decsition and get another Bachmann 21 pin....

Have you removed the locos factory fitted capacitors?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's CV 29 bit 2 and is documented in the R8245 manual.  If this bit is on, it means when you place the loco on a DC system it will work the same as any other non-fitted loco.  This CV 29 setting is common to all decoders that support running on DC.  I don't know of any decoders that do not support this option.

Archived